Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

King Kong said:
Our Board is full of do gooder tossers with more interest in minorities than the club.
So you reckon it's beyond time to go back to the good old white Australia policy then?

In case you hadn't noticed the whole country is full of minorities. The more effort that is put in to involve them in the whole wider community the better it is for a footy club, a business, a school, a country.
Nothing ever gets perfect, but I reckon we're doing fairly well at all aspects of creating a strong and inclusive Richmond footy club.

Bachar ain't perfect, he has his bad games and good ones, just like Dusty, Cotch, Tross, Jaaack and every other player has ever done. He was an integral and premium part of our first premiership in 37 years, he's been a consistent top ten player for us over his career, he's been premium quality in helping young muslim's become involved in footy and community.
So he's not quite as hard as a cats head or the tough n rugged pack destroyer player, big deal. He's still been A grade quality in his time at the club.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree Bachar should be in the team but should be held to account for some of the stat chasing he has indulged in this year.

Getting 37 possessions in a losing team with very few of those possessions inflicting damage on the opposition may get him good super coach points.

I hope the coaches are pointing out to him that that he could be a better contributor to the team by doing things that hurt the opposition and show he will take one for the team.

I had high hopes earlier on in the season when he put some great games together going in hard and using his long kick to hit up players.

Bachar can do it so I hope he delivers in the second half of the season.

yandb said:
I agree Bachar should be in the team but should be held to account for some of the stat chasing he has indulged in this year.

Getting 37 possessions in a losing team with very few of those possessions inflicting damage on the opposition may get him good super coach points.

I hope the coaches are pointing out to him that that he could be a better contributor to the team by doing things that hurt the opposition and show he will take one for the team.

I had high hopes earlier on in the season when he put some great games together going in hard and using his long kick to hit up players.

Bachar can do it so I hope he delivers in the second half of the season.

Stat chasing? OMG.
Some posters should be held accountable for the crap they are indulging themselves in.
Do you honestly believe Bashar chases kicks to enhance his stats? What on earth man?

Reactions: 1 user
Dont Argue said:
Peggy and Benny more interested in supporting minorities than the club? You have lost the plot. We are the biggest, most successful club in the country atm, the envy of all other clubs and you're not happy because it should all be about bagging coaches and players and getting p!ssed when we lose a couple of games? I will never forget what this great board has done for the club and its supporters and am proud to be a supporter which was hard to say 7 years ago.
And as far as only bringing their mates on board, you would prefer the days when Alan Bond and Clinton Casey were brought in based on democratic elections?

In the words of Choco Williams " King Kong, you were wrong "

:clap

Tenacious said:
This is an example - but nothing like the worst - of why I completed the forum survey and suggested the ability for a reader to hide individual posters
Yep, same here. So many nuffy posters spouting unadulterated crap.

Reckon last year for him or. Bit part depth next year.
Got to develop Short type player off half back , perhaps RFC see Pickett playing this role also ..

King Kong said:
Look it up yourself nuff nuff
I tried, couldn’t find it but as you know it’s “on record” I assume you can link it here.

Unless you’re just making *smile* up .....

yandb said:

i assume you mean the north game. 1 of the coaches gave him a vote so there is a fair chance Hardwick was happy with his game. that was his 3rd game in a row of 30 or more disposal, and 3rd game in a row he received coaches votes.

tigertim said:
I tried, couldn’t find it but as you know it’s “on record” I assume you can link it here.

Unless you’re just making sh!t up .....

I can’t help it if you”re too stupid to work the internet. It took me less than 1 minute to find it

Played great in the GF, didn't see him play that well before or after the GF. Probably has 1 more year left in him.

deedee said:
Played great in the GF, didn't see him play that well before or after the GF. Probably has 1 more year left in him.
Played the game of his career in the 2017 flag.
Amazing .
Gave a great interview on Sunday after the GF.
Great stuff,
Must admit was surprised when he decided to go on .
2018 a bust and 2019 speaks for itself.
Ambassador type role awaits, time to hang up the boots.

Dont Argue said:
Stat chasing? OMG.
Some posters should be held accountable for the crap they are indulging themselves in.
Do you honestly believe Bashar chases kicks to enhance his stats? What on earth man?

Houli has done an enormous amount in the AFL to progress tolerance and promote muslims playing the footy, my criticism is not based on a minority group bias. Although I am sure that bias exists for some.

Houli plays safe footy and often gets the footy from others in non dangerous positions. I do think Houli is overly conscious of his disposal numbers. That's my opinion and I hope I can express it without it being considered a racist.

asian tetley said:
Played the game of his career in the 2017 flag.
Amazing .
Gave a great interview on Sunday after the GF.
Great stuff,
Must admit was surprised when he decided to go on .
2018 a bust and 2019 speaks for itself.
Ambassador type role awaits, time to hang up the boots.

Sounds like you’re describing Dusty!

The Big Richo said:
There's no doubt Houli struggles with the physical aspect of the game at times and sometimes misses his turn to go but there's nothing particularly wrong with that.

He's a receive player, his role isn't to be in the contest, it's to be outside ready for his team mates to win it and put it in his hands. It's only natural he isn't as capable at playing another role, try asking Dave Astbury to play Houli's role and see how comfortable he is.

I think he has gotten better at finding the will to go when he needs to and there was no greater example than the 2017 Grand Final.

I love Dustin but I still maintain Houli should have won the Norm Smith.

By the way I know a player that never went back with the flight of the ball and openly refused to stand in front of a contest lest he risk the inevitable battering that would come with it. Not sure anyone ever questioned his courage or worth though. Pretty handy player by the name of Chris Judd.

Yep, and look at the Geelong game. When they won the ball in a contested situation they always had someone outside to receive - without that player there, winning the ball in a contest is not really much of an advantage - you win the ball you have to be able to do something constructive with it. You need the players who's role is to receive and drive the ball forward. Our game has relied on winning the ball at half back and getting it forward from there, no guesses where Houli plays. He is vital.

The Norm Smith is an interesting one. Immediately after the game I would have said Houli. I saw the stats and I saw replays and I would probably lean towards Martin, but very close. The thing about Houli in the GF was that he was at his best when the game was in the balance, better first half than second half I thought and very effective when we were trying to wrest control of the game. Both were amazing that day and clearly the standout players on the day, which is saying something as our performance was quite even. Houli would have been a deserving winner.

DS

Houli will be all Australian in 2019.

This is in complete contrast to my view, but many in the media take lots of notice of pure statastics.

Baloo said:
Yes, the return of the Ignore feature is what I hope to see asap.

Couldn’t think what it was called but yeah an ignore function is precisely what’s needed here