Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

easy said:
I was actually at the GF with an Adelaide premiership AA ruckman, he finished 2nd in a Norm Smith himself I think?

and its an enduring memory how he moaned about Bachar dismantling the crows from HB, pretty much from start to finish.

There wouldn't be too many blokes who understand footy who would question Bachar's influence in the great Richmond sides

nah, he was just following the game and the ALF website and reading the stats.

tigerdell said:
Norm Smith Medal Voting

Sep 30, 2017 6:18PM

Norm Smith Medal Votes:

5 judges voted 3 2 1

13 - Dustin Martin, Richmond 33331.

10 - Bachar Houli, Richmond 32221.

2 - Alex Rance, Richmond 2.

2 - Shane Edwards, Richmond 2.

2 - Dion Prestia, Richmond 11.

1 - Jack Graham, Richmond 1.

Which knob didn't give Dusty BOG. He was clear best.

jb03 said:
Which knob didn't give Dusty BOG. He was clear best.

x2

I thought Bachar was half as good as dusty and still deserved 2nd

before the announcement, I suggested to easy,jr and snake that Dusty was the clearest cut Norm Smith medalist since 1989

yandb said:
Those suggesting he is royalty or should have won a Norm Smith are over reaching.

Plenty thought Houli was BOG that day (I personally went for Dusty) but that doesn't seem to be over-reaching to me, he nearly did win the Norm Smith (it was 13 votes to 10).

My recollection of the 2017 Grand Final was that Bachar and Dusty were the only two who could win the Norm Smith and that each had a really strong claim on it. Bachar missed a couple of shots at goal and Dusty scored the last one, which turned the tables in his favour, and rightly so. But gee, Bachar went close.

After watching the game again several times, I decided that Shane Edwards also had a strong claim to the medal. By the time I had watched it 20 times or so, I was convinced Edwards should have won it.

It has actually led to me formulating a new theory. If we were to rewatch any random Richmond game of the last ten years at least 20 times, Shane Edwards would be the rightful BOG every time. That boy's hands are just so damn quick!

Back to the point. Bachar starred in the Grand Final.

TOT70 said:
After watching the game again several times, I decided that Shane Edwards also had a strong claim to the medal. By the time I had watched it 20 times or so, I was convinced Edwards should have won it.

It has actually led to me formulating a new theory. If we were to rewatch any random Richmond game of the last ten years at least 20 times, Shane Edwards would be the rightful BOG every time. That boy's hands are just so damn quick!

Yep Shedda won the Grand Final replay slo-motion Norm Smith medal. Freak.

easy said:
x2

I thought Bachar was half as good as dusty and still deserved 2nd

before the announcement, I suggested to easy,jr and snake that Dusty was the clearest cut Norm Smith medalist since 1989

Lindner, Flanagan or Hamilton?

yandb said:
Don't Argue try reading the thread, there are plenty that are suggesting that he is a superstar.

He is a solid player with some shortcomings and some gifts.

Those suggesting he is royalty or should have won a Norm Smith are over reaching.

Those suggesting that he should be dropped are blind to the areas of his game that he excels in.

I had high hopes for Bachar this year based on his first six games that he had brought a harder edge to his game and his disposals had some hurt factor.

The last five games have seen him drop away in these areas.

Well balanced, I'm sure some will be trying to get you band for not having an extreme view.

Fancy footskills are beautiful to watch, but that’s why they’re overrated in the grand scheme of traits that lead to wins.

Successfully pulling off a high difficulty kick is functionally identical to a player running into space so he’s able to reduce difficulty and make a more straightforward kick.

Sometimes fans appreciate skills that don’t increase your chance of winning, and detractors are doing just that with Houli IMO. It doesn’t matter if they’re right or wrong about his “quality”. Unless they’re arguing his metres gained leads to turnovers that otherwise wouldn’t have occurred.

TOT70 said:
My recollection of the 2017 Grand Final was that Bachar and Dusty were the only two who could win the Norm Smith and that each had a really strong claim on it. Bachar missed a couple of shots at goal and Dusty scored the last one, which turned the tables in his favour, and rightly so. But gee, Bachar went close.

Back to the point. Bachar starred in the Grand Final.

So much this.

joegarra said:
My take on it is that Bachar kept us in it early, and then Dusty won it for us. If Bachar had kicked one more goal he may have won the medal.

Up against any other player I reckon he wins, because his possessions were noticeable and those players come to the forefront of such thinking once a team has the upper hand. But Dusty was the sexier option (not that he didn't deserve it also).