Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Up against any other player I reckon he wins, because his possessions were noticeable and those players come to the forefront of such thinking once a team has the upper hand. But Dusty was the sexier option (not that he didn't deserve it also).

Correct.
There’s actually an unwritten rule that applies to the awarding of the Norm and it reads like this .......
.... “when in doubt - always give it to the bloke who at that point has stitched up both the Brownlow and the Flag”

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
The bigger the game, the better he plays. Ask Dimma. Reminds me of our Michael Green in the way he rises to the occasion. Fancy bagging a premiership star! ::)

E

easy_tiger

Tenacious said:
Correct.
There’s actually an unwritten rule that applies to the awarding of the Norm and it reads like this .......
.... “when in doubt - always give it to the bloke who at that point has stitched up both the Brownlow and the Flag”

Dusty had 22 contested possessions and DE at 85% in the GF.

Bachar had 6 cp and went at 75%

Im not attempting to downplay Bachars game whatsoever. I accept his role is outside and He was clearly 2nd BOG IMHO.

But the number support what I thought on the day. Dusty was head and shoulders above the 43 other blokes.

He had as many CP as Dion and Sheds put together, and they were both colossal.

Bachar had as many marks as Rance and Vlastuin put together, and they were colossal too.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigerlove said:
Chol was impressive. 3rd best Tiger on the ground despite getting totally smashed by O'Brien.

Some of the comments under that tweet are hilarious.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Bachar was able to get noticed because Dusty took his own man, Bachars man and another teammates man for a merry dance.
Dusty by a mile.
Bachar second.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
lamb22 said:
https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/status/1139150399716282369
So Bash n Presty were our two worst players on the day while Cholly was our third best player. Phhhhht, I can fart stats data as dodgy as that.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
So Bash n Presty were our two worst players on the day while Cholly was our third best player. Phhhhht, I can fart stats data as dodgy as that.

this was the comment that cracked me up

DavidWicker
‏ @DavjjeJoWick
Jun 13
Replying to @AFLPlayerRating

So Kartigan with 5 disposals was twice as good as Houli who had 23 and Prestia with 29 disposals was Richmond's second worst player in front of Houli. There's a reason no one takes these ratings seriously.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
TigerMasochist said:

Prestia* is having a great year on AFL ratings pushing up into the top 50. Butchered the ball terribly on Thursday though and probably cost us a sneaky chance of a win with some very costly inside 50s and shots at goal.

Bachar was abysmal.

Cholly had a very good first half when everything he touched turned to gold but if you actually look at the quarter by quarter rankings he returned to type and had negative points in quarters 3 and 4. All fairly useful pointers to what impact players are having and how consistent they are during games.

* the black dot in the players line item represents the average rating of that player for the year. You can see that Prestia is having a great year (according to AFL ratings)

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
TigerMasochist said:

Yep this example just shows it's a load of crock. SC scores seem to me to give a better representation of how a player performed. It also penalises turnovers and the like and rewards good defensive efforts so it's not all attack based. In SC Prestia was 4th, Houli 9th and Chol 14th. Of course no system is perfect and we value different things but clearly the AFL ones are just a result of a poor darts player throwing darts at a dartboard.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Clearly has his strengths as a link man and runs hard to give other options. Can read the play so well and pretty safe overhead.

Doesn’t always go when he should and he talks in the post GF video how he treated that as his last game so it didn’t matter if he got hurt. Results clear to see.

The most frustrating thing he does for me is refer pressure when under pressure (unlike a stack or Edwards who absorb it and then give their teammates MORE time) followed closely by some shocking disposals to teammates or at the big stocks when he in under no or low pressure (but maybe I just notice those more).

Pros way out weigh the cons but the bad can stick out a lot.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
RoarEmotion said:
Clearly has his strengths as a link man and runs hard to give other options. Can read the play so well and pretty safe overhead.

Doesn’t always go when he should and he talks in the post GF video how he treated that as his last game so it didn’t matter if he got hurt. Results clear to see.

The most frustrating thing he does for me is refer pressure when under pressure (unlike a stack or Edwards who absorb it and then give their teammates MORE time) followed closely by some shocking disposals to teammates or at the big stocks when he in under no or low pressure (but maybe I just notice those more).

Balanced appraisal.
Unlike some from the sheep seats

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
RoarEmotion said:

You're a very good student of the game RE.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Dont Argue said:
Balanced appraisal.
Unlike some the sheep seats

It doesn't really say anything different than has been noted by other posters.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
RoarEmotion said:

Pretty hard to argue with that assessment RE i would have thought

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
he is much maligned is Bachar. he has played some great footy this season under more pressure because of notable absentees in the back half. decisions go a bit awry sometimes but whose don't? and he's a gentleman ..

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Ever since GF 2017, Bachar is now almost untouchable to me. Never previously his strongest supporter, but THAT game of his on THAT day was an absolute cracker. His intent and commitment was so focused and relentless. It was exciting and beautiful to watch.
Was my BOG THAT day.
Doesn't always get it right but he so much the spirit of the Tigers today.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
RoarEmotion said:

i always wince when a tiger has an opportunity for a set shot, but handballs to Houli about 50-55 out, i dont think he has ever kicked 1.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Bullarto Tiger said:
Ever since GF 2017, Bachar is now almost untouchable to me. Never previously his strongest supporter, but THAT game of his on THAT day was an absolute cracker. His intent and commitment was so focused and relentless. It was exciting and beautiful to watch.
Was my BOG THAT day.
Doesn't always get it right but he so much the spirit of the Tigers today.

Think that’s when someone on here decided that Bashar effectively stamped himself as Richmond royalty, much to the disgust and dismay from the paid up “we hate Houli” fraternity. They have since employed several spokespeople on here to correct this terrible mis truth. They have decided to balance out the argument with statistical evidence that he’s soft, has never had an effective disposal and that he should have retired last year.
Slight over correction for mine.