Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
Phar Ace said:
Wow, that must be a very big general category then that catches most players for you. Not a bit like McMahon for mine.

Very few fit in the McMuppett category. The special qualities they share:
1. Inability to hit targets under pressure
2. Inability to win one on one contests
3. Inability to play well in pressure games
4. Reputations as good outside ball carriers
5. Somehow diminished responsilbility (in the eyes of many supporters) for the defensive aspects of the game because they are "outside" players and launch pads for attack
Peake slots in nicely in this club, Houli looks set to be admitted some time this year. Fiora another illustrious alumni.

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
SkillzThatKillz said:
He was certainly in the Bombers plans for the future.

Not happy they couldn't keep him at the club.

Well Hird seemed willing to give him a chance, who knows what were his plans beyond that though. Houli (probably quite rightly) saw greater opportunity at Richmond. Neither the club nor their fan base seem to have been unduly concerned or upset about his departure at the time. Now (especially after their preseason and their first round victory) it's undoubtly Houli who? He couldn't get a positon for the whole of last year in a poor Essendon line-up, would he have gotten one now that they seem to have markedly improved? Who knows?

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
Re-watching the game I thought Houli game was solid to good. He was important in several scoreing chains that lead to goals

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
SCOOP said:
Tough crowd. When we turned the game around have a look at how many scoring chains he was involved in.
Every one b!tches about the lack of spread from the contest, Houli does it. Sure he has things to work on but he brings a lot of things to the table that will improve us right away. Sure he is not the hardest nut in town but I am yet to see outright dodge a contest.
Big plus for me that we got this type of player for nothing. Will play a lot of football in 2011. If this is the starting point for him, onwards and upwards.

But isn't that his role as some sort of designated kicker/loose man/goto guy whatever you want to call it? You'd think if you are playing loose off a half-back flank you'd get involved in the odd scoring chain, particularly with the amount of ball we are trying to repel from the back half.

I think this role is crucial and needs to be filled by an elite or potentially elite player. Being involved in a few scoring chains is the least this type should be providing. IMO Newman should be used more in this between the 50's role and moved away from the defensive 50. He has more speed, is harder at the contest and is a better kick than Houli.

What does Houli do or have that is elite? Speed? Disposal skills? Ability to win one on ones? Motor?

Yes he didn't cost anything but what does he add but a bit of ethnic diversity?

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
Big Cat Lover said:
What does Houli do or have that is elite? Speed? Disposal skills? Ability to win one on ones? Motor?

Yes he didn't cost anything but what does he add but a bit of ethnic diversity?

Yeah, well said, my expectations were that his kicking was near elite, and, only knock so far is that his first game was far from elite, a slight upgrade on some perhaps, but not much. Just hope it was a warm up for Bacher and that his proclaimers are vindicated in the coming weeks..........

BrettC

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 27, 2004
Tygrys said:
He couldn't get a positon for the whole of last year in a poor Essendon line-up, would he have gotten one now that they seem to have markedly improved? Who knows?

Knighta dropped essendon players last season that were in the teams best the previous week, so not sure much can be read into that.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Give Bachar a break once he gets his groove and gets confidence in his role in team he will great addition. He will a very handy goal kicking midfielder which are very rare down at tigerland! I expect 20+ goals

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
Brett15 said:
Knighta dropped essendon players last season that were in the teams best the previous week, so not sure much can be read into that.

Well, he was the coach, that much can be read into it. He must have had his reasons. A player can look good from the outside, accumulating possessions and chasing kicks. However, if that same player ignores team rules, or specific instructions, either wilfully or because he is simply incapable of following them. Is not accountable, or wilts under pressure, is basically just a front-runner etc...well you get my drift. True this is all speculation, all we do know is that for some reason, Knights and co thought he stunk to high heaven last year and didn't deserve a place in a poor Essendon side. Some of the criticisms of Houli by the Bomber faithful probably give us some insight as to why. Again especially with his job on the line and pressure building to turn things around, Knights must have had his reasons...

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Phar Ace said:
Yeah, well said, my expectations were that his kicking was near elite, and, only knock so far is that his first game was far from elite, a slight upgrade on some perhaps, but not much. Just hope it was a warm up for Bacher and that his proclaimers are vindicated in the coming weeks..........

I think his kicking is elite pharacio. Seriously it was a standout at training in both sessions I attended over summer.
After an unimpressive first half with some genuine skanks (wasn't alone) his disposal got better as the game went on & it had warmed up by the third quarter when he made a genuine impact. Overall though it was just a so/so match from Bachar.
Hopefully now that his opening game for us is out of the way we see some more of why he was recruited.

Phar Ace

Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
Tigers of Old said:
I think his kicking is elite pharacio. Seriously it was a standout at training in both sessions I attended over summer.
After an unimpressive first half with some genuine skanks (wasn't alone) his disposal got better as the game went on & it had warmed up by the third quarter when he made a genuine impact. Overall though it was just a so/so match from Bachar.
Hopefully now that his opening game for us is out of the way we see some more of why he was recruited.

Yeah, well you're a fair judge, so I'll take it as a given still. Be looking and hoping for the kicking improvement in coming weeks. It can often take around 5 games before you feel a real part of a playing group.

linuscambridge

Tiger Superstar
Jul 13, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
After an unimpressive first half with some genuine skanks (wasn't alone)

Genuine skanks? Where were you sitting, I wanna sit near you. Didn't see any genuine skanks in the members, a few who had potential and a couple of wanna be's, but no genuine ones.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Would be glad to get that 1st game out of the way (Grigg also) Wasn't our best but was far from our worst

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
Hairydolfin said:
My only criticism was the lack of a right foot.

That's not going to change.

Bachar is unfortunately very one-sided. We have a fair few players like that. Amazing given it's top level football.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I counted two targets hit by foot by Bachar the rest were just long bombs to a pack. No tackles in fact when he is chasing a player he seems to fade in the last 5 metres a thus never effecting the tackle.
The positive twice he stood under hospital passes and took the mark with one and earnt a free with the other.

Jury is still out.

IrockZ

Tiger Champion
Jul 18, 2007
SCOOP said:
Tough crowd. When we turned the game around have a look at how many scoring chains he was involved in.

Every one b!tches about the lack of spread from the contest, Houli does it. Sure he has things to work on but he brings a lot of things to the table that will improve us right away. Sure he is not the hardest nut in town but I am yet to see outright dodge a contest.

Big plus for me that we got this type of player for nothing. Will play a lot of football in 2011. If this is the starting point for him, onwards and upwards.

Im not expecting anything more from him considering what we payed. But if we gave up the 3rd rounder it would of been a different story.

Phar Ace

Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
IrockZ said:
Im not expecting anything more from him considering what we payed. But if we gave up the 3rd rounder it would of been a different story.

By taking him in the PSD we have forsaken someone IrockZ