Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

I reckon his form will mirror ours as a team . Not because our form relies on him but the other way around.
It was no fluke that his best quarter on Thursday night was the 3rd . If we have the ball he will find space and become an outlet and deliver the ball well.
That is is role.
I enjoyed how he was able to get on his own in those circumstances . He is not the guy to go and get the ball and dish it out and he will never be that player. Many may not like that type of player but it is a fact of modern footy that teams need them.

Bruce did well for his first game.
I think Sin summed it up well.

On a side note...Can any banner making enthusiasts who read PRE, make a sign that incorporates Bruce Houli somehow?
My PYMP donation will double per game for it if you get it on TV. :D

Thought, I would watch the third quarter and specifically look at Houli and if he did have the impact that I thought. Before watching the quarter I though one of the key reasons we turned the game around was Houli.

18.40 Shane Edwards collapses in tackle, Houli takes loose ball. Always going to be tackled by two Carlton players, solid attack on the ball. Tackled ball spills out.

18.37 Ball spills to Conca, tackled gets handball to Edwards.

18.35 Houli gets one foot handball from Edwards under pressure, quick give to Jackson.

18.30 Jackson takes on tackle, misses chance to give back to Houli in the quick one two . Ball spills into open.

18.29 Houli with third effort in 10 seconds, dives on hot ball, taps to Batch without taking control of ball. If he grabs ball wrapped up by Carrazzo.

18.28 Batch paddles wide to Grigg. Ball Cleared by Grigg to win to one on one with Helbig v Russell. Helbig free kick. Gets inside 50 to Vickery.

17.40 Provides solid lead from attacking side of centre square to defensive side of centre square that opens up the space for Deledio to find Newman. Stunning kick by Lids to a streaking Newman.

17.36 Houli pushes back into space to provide overlap from Newman mark.

17.25 Inside 50, Cotchin misses goal. Best transfer of play Richmond has had in years.

17.15 From kick out, Richmond win possession in centre square by Conca, sweeping from the wing to gather in middle.

17.11 Conca with 20 metre pass to Houli on MCC members side of the groundd who has held his spot on the zone. Stands under ball despite seeing Yarran coming front on. Held ground. Had to go. Did, copped knee in back. Quick handball to Jackson .

16.59 Chip to White, White runs inside 50 for a very nice running goal.

16.48. Lines up on Wing from resulting centre square bounce. Kick Mitch Robinson out wide.

16.43 Gathered by Astbury, holds ball long enough to allow Houli to run into space. Release handball hits Houli in space.

16.41 Long kick inside 50 to Riewoldt, ball spills to Morton.

16.33 Kick to square, free kick Vickery. Goal.

15.47 Newman mark from Carlton inside 50.

15.43 Switch of play to Houli in other back pocket.

15.42 Houli with a rebound 50, 40 metre kick to Gus Graham pushing into space.

15.22 Houli contest on boundary, Carlton wins ball, goes to ground a little bit quick. Should have kept feet.

This patch sees Richmond get within 4 points.

Benched, or not sighted on the telecast again till 9.42 . I think it was benched, I couldn’t see him at all on the in the background shots. So gets about 5-6 minute spell. Richmond did not score a goal while off the ground.

9.42 Pushes 45 into defence to get a mark in space from a Rance chip. Perfect kick by Rance. Long handball releases White into space and time.

9.34 White carries and kicks to Gus Graham in space with a neat kick.

9.28 Gus waits, kicks inside 50, scrubby kick, Riewoldt reads flight, gets to drop, goal Richmond. Hit the lead for the first time.

Riewoldts goal at the 4.45 is the first goal of the quarter, Houli not involved in. Has been on the ground the last 5 minutes pushing between half forward and about 40 out from the Carlton goal but has not been involved in a passage of play.

1.04 Trails Jordan Russell into the Richmond 50 trying to gather Helbig kick off the ground. Half tackles forces Russell handball to go out of bounds.

0.17 From Cotchin dribbling point, the Richmond zone gets a long kick out to a contest. Martin wins ball chips to Houli.

0.12 Houli keeping spot in zone gets a mark from a Martin 15 metre pass about 55 out from goal.

0.05 Long kick to square marked by Jack on Chest.

0.02 Goal, Richmond lead by 14 points.

Siren. Pretty Clear that Houli was involved in numerous scores and instrumental in most Richmond goals. Quite Enjoy watching a quarter of footy and focusing on one player. Rewinding, pausing. You notice a lot. Might do it every week.

It’s pretty clear when, Houli gets involved we score more times then not. If Houli can keep producing this type of play (finding space, being the linkman from rebound 50 to get the ball forward of centre, smart use of the ball) then he becomes a very important player across half forward. Something we haven’t had in years. Not bad for nothing.

Did notice, that Helbig, Houli, Grigg and White did a great job of drifting back into defensive space and guarding the dangerous space. Something, we haven't had from our half forward line for years. All players also did a reasonable job of pushing forward into space. It's a big part of the Dimma gameplan.

SCOOP said:
Thought, I would watch the third quarter and specifically look at Houli and if he did have the impact that I thought. Before watching the quarter I though one of the key reasons we turned the game around was Houli.

18.40 Shane Edwards collapses in tackle, Houli takes loose ball. Always going to be tackled by two Carlton players, solid attack on the ball. Tackled ball spills out.

18.35 Houli gets one foot handball from Edwards under pressure, quick give to Jackson.

18.30 Jackson takes on tackle, misses chance to give back to Houli in the quick one two . Ball spills into open.

18.29 Houli with third effort in 10 seconds, dives on hot ball, taps to Batch without taking control of ball. If he grabs ball wrapped up by Carrazzo.

18.28 Batch paddles wide to Grigg. Ball Cleared by Grigg to win to one on one with Helbig v Russell. Helbig free kick. Gets inside 50 to Vickery.

17.40 Provides solid lead from attacking side of centre square to defensive side of centre square that opens up the space for Deledio to find Newman. Stunning kick by Lids to a streaking Newman.

17.25 Inside 50, Cotchin misses goal. Best transfer of play Richmond has had in years.

17.15 From kick out, Richmond win possession in centre square by Conca, sweeping from the wing to gather in middle.

17.11 Conca with 20 metre pass to Houli on MCC members side of the groundd who has held his spot on the zone. Stands under ball despite seeing Yarran coming front on. Held ground. Had to go. Did, copped knee in back. Quick handball to Jackson .

16.48. Lines up on Wing from resulting centre square bounce. Kick Mitch Robinson out wide.

16.43 Gathered by Astbury, holds ball long enough to allow Houli to run into space. Release handball hits Houli in space.

15.22 Houli contest on boundary, Carlton wins ball, goes to ground a little bit quick. Should have kept feet.

Benched, or not sighted on the telecast again till 9.42 . I think it was benched, I couldn’t see him at all on the in the background shots. So gets about 5-6 minute spell. Richmond did not score a goal while off the ground.

9.42 Pushes 45 into defence to get a mark in space from a Rance chip. Perfect kick by Rance. Long handball releases White into space and time.

9.28 Gus waits, kicks inside 50, scrubby kick, Riewoldt reads flight, gets to drop, goal Richmond. Hit the lead for the first time.

Riewoldts goal at the 4.45 is the first goal of the quarter, Houli not involved in. Has been on the ground the last 5 minutes pushing between half forward and about 40 out from the Carlton goal but has not been involved in a passage of play.

1.04 Trails Jordan Russell into the Richmond 50 trying to gather Helbig kick off the ground. Half tackles forces Russell handball to go out of bounds.

0.17 From Cotchin dribbling point, the Richmond zone gets a long kick out to a contest. Martin wins ball chips to Houli.

0.12 Houli keeping spot in zone gets a mark from a Martin 15 metre pass about 55 out from goal.

Siren. Pretty Clear that Houli was involved in numerous scores and instrumental in most Richmond goals. Quite Enjoy watching a quarter of footy and focusing on one player. Rewinding, pausing. You notice a lot. Might do it every week.

It’s pretty clear when, Houli gets involved we score more times then not. If Houli can keep producing this type of play (finding space, being the linkman from rebound 50 to get the ball forward of centre, smart use of the ball) then he becomes a very important player across half forward. Something we haven’t had in years. Not bad for nothing.

Did notice, that Helbig, Houli, Grigg and White did a great job of drifting back into defensive space and guarding the dangerous space. Something, we haven't had from our half forward line for years. All players also did a reasonable job of pushing forward into space. It's a big part of the Dimma gameplan.

Great job, enjoyed reading your post. I don't really focus on single players, but more on team structure, so hard to notice Houli's contribution.

One thing that was missing from reviews on this game was the 6 goal breeze blowing to the city end during the last half. Not a single goal was scored at the PRE - coincidence, me thinks not.

I look forward to reading your next review SCOOP next week - perhaps open up a thread. SCOOP's player/quarter focus - I'd read it.

SCOOP said:

What position was he playing in that quarter? Between the arcs effectively or HFF specifically? Did he play that position the whole game? Good summary and kudos for putting in the effort.

Would like to see your summary of his efforts the other 3 quarters. ;D

Personally think Newman is the one we should have in this role. Newman has proven time and again he cannot stop a small forward, does he do enough the other way when on them to justify the leaking?

SCOOP said:

Any chance of doing the other three quarters? ;)

Nice job Scooper. ;D

PBoRSM said:
One thing that was missing from reviews on this game was the 6 goal breeze blowing to the city end during the last half.

You'll never get a 6 goal breeze at the MCG.

SCOOP said:

Awesome effort Scoop. Confirms what we've both been saying since last Thursday. Houli was instrumental in the third quarter. Not sure why people have struggled to identify that.

Houli instrumental? pplleassse. He contributed that is all . Didn't hit one target by foot instead bombed it long(3Q), that tap on was sus as he could have picked up the ball and handballed to a team mate.Instead put bach under pressure who the had to tap it further on.

You could do the same with edwards and make him out to be a matchwinner using the same presentation.

SCOOP said:

Just on this play. Is this the NFL style they're trying?

It was like a quarterback passing to a wide receiver.

yandb said:
Houli instrumental? pplleassse. He contributed that is all . Didn't hit one target by foot instead bombed it long(3Q), that tap on was sus as he could have picked up the ball and handballed to a team mate.Instead put bach under pressure who the had to tap it further on.

You could do the same with edwards and make him out to be a matchwinner using the same presentation.

No, no you couldn't. Watch the third quarter again. Houli was instrumental in the come back.

Leysy Days said:
The Saints will be a good test for where Bacher stands on Friday night.

Agreed, I saw Houli’s Carlton game similar to SCOOP (although not in such depth), but it will be good to see if he can stand up in a game that will probably be a bit hotter around the centre

i thought he played well last week. Couple of stuff ups but was an important contributor and as Scoop has said, he adds plenty to our structure

Would like to see him at least try and make 1 tackle this week. Shouldn't be too hard?