Bartlett: I'll be coaching in '92 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bartlett: I'll be coaching in '92

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
Here's an article from The Sunday Age in August 18, 1991 about KB's 'future' at Richmond. Perhaps the misplaced self-confidence he has in this article is one of the reasons why he hasn't returned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bartlett: I'll be coaching in '92
By Martin Blake

Kevin Bartlett either knows something the rest of the world does not, or he has the keenest sense of self-preservation.

After Richmond's 17-point victory over Footscray at the MCG yesterday, Bartlett, whose position as coach has been the subject of a fortnight's speculation since the Tigers' loss to Fitzroy, strolled around the boundary with an arm raised and a finger pointing to the sky before the same Richmond throng that had hooted him two weeks ago.

Then he blandly announced to the media that he would continue as coach next year. The Tigers' board, which decides such things, has not made any statement, aside from pointing out that there will be no decisions until the season is complete. Last night, club general manager Cameron Schwab confirmed that nothing had changed.

Although Bartlett described as 'scurrilous' some of the recent media talk about his future (his four-year contract expires at the end of the season), he said none of it had affected him. "I haven't felt anything whatsoever. No heat's been on me, I can tell you. I have no problems about my future at Richmond."

When a journalist asked whether he would have liked to see the club show faith in the same way St Kilda has with its early reappointment of Ken Sheldon, Bartlett said: "It doesn't really concern me. I'll be coaching next year."

Bartlett, who recently described Richmond as potentially the team of the 1990s, repeated his claim from a fortnight ago that the Tigers have improved. "If we get two or three players, we can make the jump into that group of teams battling for fifth and sixth positions easily," he said.

Richmond has won only six of its 20 games this year. Bartlett has taken the Tigers to 10th, 14th and 11th in his three previous years and they have not strung together successive wins this season. But he had a good day yesterday, using defender Brian Leys as a successful tag on prolific Bulldog Simon Atkins. Leys reduced Atkins from his average 28 disposals a game to just 12 in a crucial duel.

The coaching position aside, it was a day of celebration for captain Dale Weightman, who capped his 250th game with a superb exhibition of roving. Inspirtational as ever, the skipper had 37 disposals despite potentially-strong opposition from Tony Liberatore, Brian Royal and company.

Bartlett, who holds the Richmond club record of 403 games, said he has no doubt that Weightman could reach 300. "He's one of the greatest players I've seen. If you look at it, he's played 250 games now and probably 225 of those have been of the highest order. He's had diabetes for seven years and he's had plenty of injuries but he keeps coming up."

Footscray coach Terry Wheeler scathingly criticised his side, describing yesterdays' performance as the worst in his two years at the club. "It's disappointing particularly because I really believed we were making progress. On today's showing we are not."

Wheeler, whose stated aim for the season was 13 wins, rejected a suggestion that his side had been flat because the Bulldogs were out of the race for the finals. "We had everything to gain," he said.

The Footscray coach said his side's skill level had fallen away to playground level. "There certainly is a future at the club but today's showing has put us back."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Due to travelling and a long period of ill health I don't really know a lot about our coaching history.

The recent ones I know are Geishen "resigned" albeit with a gun at his head.

Walls was sacked with 5? weeks of the season to go.

Northey walked out supposedly because the club wouldn't renew his contract when it had a year to go anyway. Something never quite rang true with that one somehow.

Then I have a mind blank. Can anyone fill in the gaps for me.

I take it despite KB's optimism about his future it wasn't rewarded with a contract renewal, he wasn't actually sacked?

Who replaced him and what was his destiny.

This is a bit like the many wiives of Henry V111th. Off with their heads. ;D

What is the story with Tommy Hafey. I remember some controversy. Was he sacked, did he resign, or just not have his contract renewed? Who replaced him?

Great post Wagstaff, an interesting article to read but it made me realise how little I remember.

I'll see if I can find anything on Richmonds coaching history on the net, but I spose it wouldn't be reported warts and all anyway.

I'm sure if anyone can fill the gaps for me I'll be thinking what a dopey bugger I am cos I already knew all that. ;)

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
let me see...

Tom Hafey - I believe he left end of 1976 and GRichmond was not happy he was replaced by....

Barry Richardson who was sacked at the end of 1978 and replaced by Tony Jewell who was sacked at the end 1981 and replaced by....

Francis Bourke who was sacked at the end on 1983 and replaced by....

Mike Patterson who was sacked after one season (1984) and was replaced by .....

Paul Sproule who was sacked after one season (1985) and replaced by Tony Jewell .... who "resigned" at the end of 1988 and was replaced by ...

Kevin Bartlett who coached us for 4 years and who's contract was not renewed but read sacked and replaced by ....

Alan Jeans who coached us for 1 year before resigning because of ill health and was replaced by.....

John Northey who coached us for 93, 94 and got us to third in 1995 and then walked out of the Club because (supposedly) the then Administration wouldn't give him a contract extension (he had a year to go) he was replaced by...

Robert Walls who was sacked and replaced by Jeff Geischen who "resigned" (read sacked) and who was replaced by...

Danny Frawley who is our currently coach .... and despite the dreams & wishes of some will not be sacked and doesn't deserve to be

;)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Gee thanks for that KL. What a memory. :eek:

It really isn't a pretty story is it?

I hope the end of Tommy's coaching wasn't in controversial circumstances.

I hope Danny's there for the long haul. I think he's matured along witht he playing list.

I'm confident the club is heading in the right direction now. The admin seems pretty spot on, the coaching panel has improved heaps. It's taken a long time.

Let's hope it has a fairy tale ending one September in the not too distant future.

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
Koalalill said:
let me see...

Tom Hafey - I believe he left end of 1976 and GRichmond was not happy he was replaced by....

Barry Richardson who was sacked at the end of 1978 and replaced by Tony Jewell who was sacked at the end 1981 and replaced by....

Francis Bourke who was sacked at the end on 1983 and replaced by....

Mike Patterson who was sacked after one season (1984) and was replaced by .....

Paul Sproule who was sacked after one season (1985) and replaced by Tony Jewell .... who "resigned" at the end of 1988 and was replaced by ...

Kevin Bartlett who coached us for 4 years and who's contract was not renewed but read sacked and replaced by ....

Alan Jeans who coached us for 1 year before resigning because of ill health and was replaced by.....

John Northey who coached us for 93, 94 and got us to third in 1995 and then walked out of the Club because (supposedly) the then Administration wouldn't give him a contract extension (he had a year to go) he was replaced by...

Robert Walls who was sacked and replaced by Jeff Geischen who "resigned" (read sacked) and who was replaced by...

Danny Frawley who is our currently coach .... and despite the dreams & wishes of some will not be sacked and doesn't deserve to be

;)

In broad terms, all the above is correct accept for the fact that Jewell ended his coaching reign at the end of the 1987 season, not 1988.

Richmond really lost their head during the mid-1980s - their greatest strength of their ruthless culture came to be their greatest weakness with the ridiculous sackings of Patterson and Sproule after just a season each.

Patterson's was especially absurd as he'd improved the Tigers from 7 to 10 wins at his one season at the club.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I really believe that the Richmond root started at the end of 1982, when Cloke, Raines and Taylor were traded to Collingwood.
Ever since then, Richmonds recuiting has been a big concern.
I remember when Richmond signed Terry Wallace for a then record transfer fee. Wallace stayed from one season and played a few games.
Wallace then Wallace was transferred to Footscray and played some of his best football.
I really felt sorry when KB was sacked. The way it happened. He had bugger all talent at that time and the club didnt have much money.