Blast from the Past: Neville Crowe shows his class | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blast from the Past: Neville Crowe shows his class

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
Allan McCallister's infamous racist comments about Aboriginals in 1993 have been well documented over the years. But comments along similar lines from then-Richmond president Neville Crowe have been seemingly forgotten. A mystery why there wasn't a furore over these comments, because they were just as offensive.

Thumbs down
Richard Hinds - The Age - May 9 1993 (excerpt)

At the official Richmond lunch yesterday, Tiger president Neville Crowe expressed his sympathy for his St Kilda counterpart, Travis Payze, in dealing with the Nicky Winmar contract dispute. Winmar, said Crowe, was asking for only 50 000 and must be thinking: "The guy from Yothu Yindi, whatever his name is, gets that rich, so should I." "I'm not being racist," Crowe said, "but don't ask them to dance or it might rain for a fortnight."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
wagstaff said:
"I'm not being racist," Crowe said, "but don't ask them to dance or it might rain for a fortnight."

I don't think mentioning native rituals is necessarliy racist, but I don't get this one.

What was Neville talking about or in reference to?

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I remember the Nicky Winmar incident really real.

Collingwood were travelling really well and an Aborigine tribe leader placed a curse on Collingwood and they went crap for the rest of the season.

Wonder if they placed a curse on Richmond also. We havent travelled too well at all.