Bartlett Soft ??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bartlett Soft ???

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
I just finished watching the 69 GF again and took particular interest in KB's performance seeing as some posters on another board cast assertions that he was soft.

Bartlett fed off Nicholls for most of the match and was subjected to his welcoming elbows many a time. Bartlett did not flinch and was one of our best that game and of course for 402 others.

Bartlett never dished it out, he didnt have to, he played with courage and commitment against some of the greatest mongrels and hard men the game had seen. It was the time when there was only one blind ump running around the middle and thuggery was part and parcel to normal play.

Bartlett was soft? no Bartlett was great.

Bartletts record speaks for itself. 

What a Champion he was.  I didnt get to see him play in 1969, I did have the honour of seeing him play in his later years and no, I dont believe he was a soft play. You dont get to play 403 games if you're soft.

He wasnt a physical player, but he was certainly a gifted footballer.

Stan 'the Man" Magro was going to fix up the weak, bald, old, slow bag of bones in the 1980 Grand Final.

The hungry one decided to "float like a butterfly, sting like KB. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see".

He kicked 7 goals and broke Magro's heart in the process.

We often judge the great players by their performances in finals and if that's the yardstick here, then he was a great. His 1980s finals series was freakish.

and he was no slouch in the earlier ones either.

if only he had snagged that goal in 82, then things might have been different!

If I recall correctly, Bartlett was reported once for getting even with a tagger.
Everyone was amazed.

Might have been around '73 or '74.

He was the model for the modern rover.

Phantom said:
If I recall correctly, Bartlett was reported once for getting even with a tagger.
Everyone was amazed.

I thought it was 1980 (or 1983?) for hitting one of the Nankervis bros.

yep, i reckon it was very late in his career. naughty kev >:D

count the number of hits he took in the 67 GF an he still kept going - thats not soft!

KB played 403 games,kicked 700 odd goals, won a norm smith medal and was best on ground in numerous other finals. you don`t achieve all that in one of the toughest eras of the game if you`re soft.
i remember a caller on SEN telling KB he was soft and didn`t bump players very often, KB replied it`s a bit hard to bump players when you`ve got the ball all the time.

As has been said in earlier posts, you dont get to play on 403 games of League footy if you are soft. I'm not too sure but I dont think he missed too many games through being in
jured, in fact for many of his 403 games he played when less than 100% fit, as do most players in all grades of footy.

Soft as teak IMHO. I loved watching him play, a great reader of the play & not afraid to "mix it" when necessary.

Mark Jackson commented in his book, that Bartlett was a tough little prick, and knew how to throw a punch, and was prepared to win 'em & wear 'em.

I just noticed the title of this thread.

Bartlett soft? Yeah, right!

Wish we had someone like him now.

Talk about cloning and 'Hungry' comes to mind. Now, that I'd like to see!

tigertim said:
Phantom said:
Everyone was amazed.

I thought it was 1980 (or 1983?) for hitting one of the Nankervis bros.

The report against Geelong occurred in Round 8, 1982.

I couldn't think where else to paste this. Just wanted to share it with other Tiger supporters.

Always thought this epitomised the spirit of Hungry and the pic was taken right at the beginning of his amazing career - Round #12, Essendon v. Richmond @ Windy Hill, July 8, 1967. Good one, Kev!

Caption reads: Essendon rover, John Birt rushes in too late to stop Richmond's rover, Kevin Bartlett, from getting his kick away. Bartlett finished up kicking two of his side's 10 goals . . .

rbartlett said:
Co-incidentally, exactly 40 years ago on the day you posted it.

Rhett Bartlett
Author: 2007 Richmond History Book.

I hope PRE is getting paid for the free Ad?

;D (I am joking)

Good pick up, Rhett - I wondered if anyone would spot the date.

He was just starting to be recognised by the journos as "Richmond rover".

I reckon he'd be good for a few games. What do you think?

t-rob said:
rbartlett said:

Rhett Bartlett

;D (I am joking)

PRE is actually going to receive a copy of the book to give away, or whatever Rosy wishes to do with it for the supporters of this site. :)

rbartlett said:
t-rob said:
rbartlett said:

Rhett Bartlett

;D (I am joking)

PRE is actually going to receive a copy of the book to give away, or whatever Rosy wishes to do with it for the supporters of this site. :)

Do you have a link to a website where I can find out a little more about the book?

Go to the top of this page, click on "Links", go to 1st box "Richmond Tigers", click on "Rhettrospective"