Bartlett Soft ??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bartlett Soft ???

lefty said:
yep, i reckon it was very late in his career. naughty kev >:D

It was round 8 1982 against Geelong at Kardinia Park.
Remember the Sunday Press leading it on the back page saying it was the first time he had been reported in his 360 odd games to that stage in his career.

Of course he was let off.

AK said:
lefty said:
yep, i reckon it was very late in his career.  naughty kev >:D

It was round 8 1982 against Geelong at Kardinia Park.
Remember the Sunday Press leading it on the back page saying it was the first time he had been reported in his 360 odd games to that stage in his career.

Of course he was let off.

One of those ones that nobody actually claimed to have seen (except the umpire). Bartlett was having a dirty day and suddenly Bruce Nankervis was holding his hands to his face, which was covered in blood. Can remember the reporting umpire (Deller?) saying he wasn't sure whether he actually checked KB's back before recording '29' in the notebook.

images

This statement is so far off about the little champ. I started watching footy as we could not afford to be members or go to many games on TV around 1966. Finally in 1971 we went to all home games at the G because we afford membership. Bartleet was a standout, quick agile and a wizz around the goals. Rules had to be changed because he exploited bouncing the ball just before being tackled. This did not stop him he just became better. His speed and ball sense meant he was always at the ball, copped some really heavy knocks, but got up and was a star. The 1973 or 74 brownlows were a joke where Keith greig won. He did not even rate in the Top 6 at his own club best and fairest. KB however won every award from Tv, Newspapers and was the shortest odds to win. Robbed he was.

Here's just one little exerpt from all that was written about the 1967 GF:

Bartlett had his back to the goals as he ran headlong into a pack of players close to the goal mouth.

He actually came out with the ball and kicked Richmond's 16th goal, thus virtually sealing the game.

Soft? yeah, right!

hey growl, funny you mention this I saw it in a 1967 GF tape yesterday I wanted to show some non afl types. They commentd on the gutsy little guy who could have been cleaned up with what he did. Amazing never seen it before or after - well said - soft yeah blody no way!

rbartlett said:
t-rob said:
rbartlett said:
Co-incidentally, exactly 40 years ago on the day you posted it.

Rhett Bartlett
Author: 2007 Richmond History Book.

I hope PRE is getting paid for the free Ad?

;D (I am joking)

PRE is actually going to receive a copy of the book to give away, or whatever Rosy wishes to do with it for the supporters of this site. :)

Very interested in what happens here.

My son's first footy jumper proudly displayed #29. The number was almost too big to fit on the back LOL

See the picture of KB on page 10 of the 2008 membership brochure, now that's True Tiger spirit for you.

I'll just never forget what a courageous little champ he was.

Love ya KB :love

I'm one who strongly bags KB for his stance against the club. I think we should have shut the door on him a long time ago.

Regardless, he was definitely not soft as a footballer. To rove in that era at his playing weight - that alone was a courageous thing. He simply earned too much of the ball to be considered anything but a courageous player. It seems to be one of those urban myths that float around that he wasn't. I suspect that it has something to do with the notion that he threw the ball out in front of himself looking for holding the man free kicks.

Soft? what a crock of sh!t. Anyone who played in that era I doubt you'd call soft. Maybe he wasn't a physical type player, but more often than not he had the ball, he didn't need to be physical but geez he never shirked a contest.
Comments like that come from the opposition. Stems from jealousy. He would have walked into any team in any era. And still been classed as a great, you don't play to that high standard for so long without the skills and toughness, both mental and physical, of the highest order.
A CHAMPION and an IMMORTAL

nwonash said:
Bartletts record speaks for itself.

What a Champion he was. I didnt get to see him play in 1969, I did have the honour of seeing him play in his later years and no, I dont believe he was a soft play. You dont get to play 403 games if you're soft.

He wasnt a physical player, but he was certainly a gifted footballer.
Spot on

bigwow said:
Mark Jackson commented in his book, that Bartlett was a tough little prick, and knew how to throw a punch, and was prepared to win 'em & wear 'em.

Mark Jackson should know, he wore one from KB one night at training. It earned KB a spot on Jacko's top 10 hit list.

We marvel at players that get 40 possessions in a game now. People should remember that KB was doing it regularly in the days where teams didn't rack up possessions playing keepings off!

40 possessions WAS 40 possessions.

Hayfever said:
Stan 'the Man" Magro was going to fix up the weak, bald, old, slow bag of bones in the 1980 Grand Final.

The hungry one decided to "float like a butterfly, sting like KB. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see".

He kicked 7 goals and broke Magro's heart in the process.

That is exactly why anyone could conceivably consider KB soft. The fact is, no one could catch him to see how hard he was.

And to top off 403 games of VFL football, he then rejected a promising media career and accepted the toughest caper in town and took on coaching the most woeful Tigers team in history. Physically tough, mentally tough.

He sure was soft IMO.