Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
I don't watch NBL Anymore since my old club Melbourne Tigers got the flick which should never have happended
But WOW Perth Wildcats missed the final 4 for the first time in 35 years.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
The dude has a herniated disc in his back.
I know they get paid millions but the hate he gets is extreme & unhealthy.
It's a bit of the boy who cried wolf going on though. He probably does have a bad back, but even going back to his scouting report, his competitiveness has always been suspect, enough is enough I think.

FCIQ-fvVEAQOrNN

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The Phoenix Suns remind me of the Cats. Full of unlikeable characters, almost no redeeming aspects. (Bridges very likeable)

Suckhole serial stagers like Paul, Crowder, Payne, Booker. Its gonna be a great finals series but please anyone but the Suns to win it for me. Can't stand them.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I don't watch NBL Anymore since my old club Melbourne Tigers got the flick which should never have happended
But WOW Perth Wildcats missed the final 4 for the first time in 35 years.
Although my understanding is that Melbourne United are considered the continuation of the Melbourne Tigers. That said, a lot of people and former fans that don’t agree with that. Even Andrew Gaze was aghast at the change of identity and doesn’t consider Melbourne United the successor to the Tigers.

Being Tasmanian I hadn’t watched the NBL for nearly 3 decades, when they scrapped the Devils. Started going along this year though with the establishment of the Jackjumpers. Mrs PT was quite a decent basketball player in her younger days. And her family and family friendship circle are all into it. Hence she takes our kids along and they love it.

The JJs were tipped to finish dead last in their inaugural season. But just defeated Melbourne as I write, to make the championship series against Sydney.

Plenty of Tasmanian support there, including our own Jack Reiwoldt and Toby Nankervis cheering them on.

Reactions: 5 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Rhyan Mansell and Sam Banks were also there PT.

Amazing performance - Only won 2 of first 8 games as well.

The state are all fully behind them and junior basketball is now soaring from what leysy understands.

They have also done a fantastic job connecting with the North West Coast.

One of the great sporting stories.

Reactions: 7 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Massive choke by united. Delly terrible, horrible ft shooting, missed layups and horrific 3p shooting. Goulding injured in warm up didn’t help much. Credit to JJs - made some massive shots down the stretch and rebounded brilliantly - so many o boards.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Rhyan Mansell and Sam Banks were also there PT.

Amazing performance - Only won 2 of first 8 games as well.

The state are all fully behind them and junior basketball is now soaring from what leysy understands.

They have also done a fantastic job connecting with the North West Coast.

One of the great sporting stories.
One thing this team has done from the outset, which other Tasmanian sporting teams have not. And that is genuinely embracing the entire state. Not just tokenistically. Sure, they play more games in Hobart, as it is a nicer, more modern venue. But they don't just play token games in Launceston. They were big drawing matches. And it's possible the Silverdome in Launceston (with a similar capacity to the DEC/MyState Bank Arena in Hobart) will host an extra game or two next season than they did in the first year.

Often Tasmanians approach the whole north vs south issue as a point of cultural cringe. And it serves to further embed the parochial north-south divide with even greater venom.

I have always said, it is only a state of 550k. With such a limited market it is even more imperative that you capture the hearts and minds of the entire state. You often hear the argument, "Every other sporting team in the country only has one home ground/stadium, you can't play in two locations." Then it turns into an either/or argument. "Hobart is the capital city, so it should be there. How embarrassing playing in Launceston, that would be like a Melbourne team playing in a country town like Ballarat." Or, "Launceston is more central to the state's population distribution, it should be played there." And it's blinded by the illogical emotion of what region a person is from and where their loyalty lies. Neither of these views is really that true. Hobart's urban area and surrounds holds 40-50% of the state's population, where as greater Melbourne is about 75% of Victoria. So comparing it to Melbourne teams playing in regional Victoria is a false equivalence. But at the same time Hobart is a more concentrated centre of 40-50% of the population. But all in all, about half of the population lives in the north, half in the south.

I grew up in both parts of the state so have no allegiance other than to the whole of the island. Hence I sit outside the self destructive parochial views. We have unique dynamics, why fight it? Instead we should just accept it, embrace it and find ways of making it work. for the benefit of the whole island. And this is what the Jackjumpers seem to have done well.

You have roots on the NW Coast don't you Leysy? As I said earlier, Mrs PT and her family/friends circle were heavily involved in the sport in TAS in basketball's boom years of the 1980s/90s. Mrs PT was a very decent rep player - representing the State as a youth girl. They were Hobart based, but said in general the sport's grass roots seemed to have a bit more depth in the north of the state. Launceston were strong as they consolidated their district rep team simply into one team representing Launceston and surrounds. Whereas Hobart was split into 5-6 different parts (diluting the southern talent pool somewhat). But it was the NW Coast that really punched outside it's weight. Rather than consolidating the NW into one or two parts at district rep level, every town up there seemed to be represented. And such small districts all punched well outside their weight consistently. She remembers getting flogged particularly by Ulverstone and Burnie (in addition to Launceston).

And friends on the coast tell me some district basketball clubs up there pay quite a bit more in player payments than the footy clubs do these days. Both sports have traditionally been very strong on the coast, but you just get the sense that footy is in cultural decline up there (a shame in one of the purest traditional Aussie Rules strongholds anywhere) and basketball is undergoing a resurgence of sorts (not that it really ever went away). Popularity of basketball in Hobart waxes and wains more, but can certainly see it building again, like it was in the 1980s/90s.

My little bloke is 5, going on 6. He plays soccer and a bit of tiny totts' tennis (we also kick the footy for fun). But he seems very keen to follow in Mum's footsteps and get into basketball as soon as he's old enough. He loves the Jack jumpers and is more naturally inclined (both natural ability and self driven interest) to get the basketball out on the driveway and practice/teach himself the skills for the pure fun of it, compared to other ball sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
The Jack Jumpers are a great example of a little club getting the absolute best out of a group of players.

They have done an amazing job uniting the whole state, especially getting over the North/South divide. Right from the start they have involved the North West coast. Not only in coaching clinics but they are sending some of their bench players to play with the North West Thunder in the second tier comp in the offseason.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Sucked in United (now there’s a bogan 80’s expression for you). That’s what you get for changing the prestigious Melbourne Tigers name and brand.

Strooooong win by the Celtics today.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Game 1 of the best of 5 Sydney vs Tasmania championship series is on in Sydney tonight. Most media tipping a clean sweet to Sydney. What are the thoughts of observers on here?

Can't say I'm confident that the JJs can win this. But then most of the media tipped them to finish dead last. So cannot be written off.

By the way, Mrs PT tried to get tickets for game 2 in Hobart. Absolutely no hope in hell of even getting a single ticket just for her. Let alone the family.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
They can’t score enough. If Melbourne’s shooting was due to JJs defence then sure.

But it wasn’t. Goulding was relatively cold game 2 and injured game 3 in warm up. No one else hit open 3s at the right clip. Think Melbourne were ~40% in regular season and ~20% vs JJs.

Sweep for me or 3-1 and pinch one in tassie.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
They can’t score enough. If Melbourne’s shooting was due to JJs defence then sure.

But it wasn’t. Goulding was relatively cold game 2 and injured game 3 in warm up. No one else hit open 3s at the right clip. Think Melbourne were ~40% in regular season and ~20% vs JJs.

Sweep for me or 3-1 and pinch one in tassie.
Yeah, 3-1 is what I'm thinking. JJs did beat Sydney once earlier in the season in Hobart in a tight contest. Got flogged the second time Sydney travelled to Hobart when they hit their straps and looked a class above the entire competition. And the JJs weren't playing that badly at the time, but just had no answer to Sydney's latter part of the season red hot form.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

What a gal. No one doubts she can play the game. That's never been in dispute. Doesn't make her a nice person though.

She doesn't really like white people, because apparently white capitalist society oppresses her. Clearly feels no solidarity with black folks either. Probably needs to wear around one of those T-shirts that says, "I hate everyone. Stupid *smile*".

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Celtiiiiiiics !!!! Cmooon !

Geez they’re hard going though. Just make it much harder than it should be a lot of the time.

Anyway, remarkable effort since January 1.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Celtiiiiiiics !!!! Cmooon !

Geez they’re hard going though. Just make it much harder than it should be a lot of the time.

Anyway, remarkable effort since January 1.
Well done to the Celtics, beating Jimmy Butler in 7.
Should be a good series against the Warriors.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

What a gal. No one doubts she can play the game. That's never been in dispute. Doesn't make her a nice person though.

She doesn't really like white people, because apparently white capitalist society oppresses her. Clearly feels no solidarity with black folks either. Probably needs to wear around one of those T-shirts that says, "I hate everyone. Stupid *smile*".
Has she denied it? She was never very likeable before this. Perhaps she's trying to endear herself to the redneck population?

• Haha

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Well done to the Celtics, beating Jimmy Butler in 7.
Should be a good series against the Warriors.
Yeah Butler was huge for the Heat. But really the only reason it went to 7 was chronic in game meltdowns and brain farts by the Celtics. Should have been done in 5 or 6 at worst. Hopefully they can clean that up for the finals; they won't get away with it against the Warriors.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Has she denied it? She was never very likeable before this. Perhaps she's trying to endear herself to the redneck population?
She kind of does but she doesn't. The mental gymnastics she's expressing in order to justify her actions is like an 10YO school kid making up fibs on top of fibs. But then that is her persona. A perpetual school girl activist, with the petulant, self centred narcissism that goes with that.

Last edited: