Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Watched it - just mental. The Phillipines more poorly behaved but some severe penalties coming up.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I lived in Philippines for 5 years so have a reasonable idea of their culture/behaviour.

Australian's physicality in our sport generally is not a good mix. Filipinos have a short fuse and particularly lash out if they feel they are being bullied or intimidated. Unfortunate mix of circumstances, but the additional scenes of local officials/supporters joining is unacceptable.

Will be interesting to see if Australia gets disqualified from the World Cup.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
There's a town in Tasmania, just north of Hobart, called New Norfolk. Was always a retched away game when New Norfolk played in the main Hobart and State footy League back in the day.

Reminded me of some of the scenes that used to go on at their home ground, Boyer Oval, of a Saturday afternoon. And that's just what used to go on in the crowd, let alone what used to happen on the field! The old timers tell me, if you followed the away team, you'd hide your footy colours in your bag for the walk back to the car.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
jb03 said:
Massive brawl in the Aus v Phillipines game

the Fillipino bloke kinda started with the rough foul,
but the Aussie bloke really started with the retaliation,
but the whole Phillipines team really really started it.

I dont think the Australian team should be sanctioned.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Dell did well to keep the Aussie bench players on the bench and not let them join in. Would have been tough to just watch but in hindsight some great leadership.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
The Aussie lad that threw the elbow is in strife for what happened on court but off court was something like the WWE.
Amazing!!

E

easy_tiger

Brodders17 said:

agree with the first 3 lines.

carnage. There were some pretty crappy punches and kicks being thrown.

Only 2 decent ones I could see: The Aussie one to kick things off and the Phillipine Officials right cross to the Aussie chin, under the hoop.

note: no basketballers were hurt in the typing of this post.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
easy said:
agree with the first 3 lines.

carnage. There were some pretty crappy punches and kicks being thrown.

Only 2 decent ones I could see: The Aussie one to kick things off and the Phillipine Officials right cross to the Aussie chin, under the hoop.

note: no basketballers were hurt in the typing of this post.

just to clarify i didnt mean no Aussies should be sanctioned, i meant the team as a whole should not be. The Phillipines on the other hand....

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Brodders17 said:
just to clarify i didnt mean no Aussies should be sanctioned, i meant the team as a whole should not be. The Phillipines on the other hand....

Yeh, the footage behind the goals of about 12 guys attacking Goulding (who was the original "victim") is disgraceful. Guys using chairs and itching to get a punch or stomp in. I heard his manager on the radio claim Longley saved his life and thought what an exaggeration but when you watch the footage its not that crazy a statement. The whole side should be banned from the tournament no question.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The comments coming out from the Filipino team are poor. They are playing the victim card rather than take responsibility for their actions. It would appear there were some level of incitement, but hard to tell whether the Australian team were being there overly aggressive selves or over-stepped the line (wouldn't be the first time this year an Australian team did that).

But as hosts of the game the Filipino Team and its Basketball Association deserve to get a huge whack. Completely unacceptable for a host national team to attack a visiting national team enmasse like that. It is not a local club game. Incredibly immature and unbelievably dangerous. It is amazing the game continued and that the Australians agreed to continue to play.

We will need to wait to understand Australia's role in the affair, both before/during the game and the incident before we can say what penalty it deserves.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Only just seen the vision. The behaviour of the Filipinos was disgraceful. Kickert will rightfully get weeks, but the aggressors were clearly not the aussies. Every single one of the officials / players taking cheap shots at the aussie players on the ground behind the hoops need life bans.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:

You have always been biased toward the Aust basketball team

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
jb03 said:
You have always been biased toward the Aust basketball team

yep, and when we win Olympic Gold my backing of the coach, and some lesser lights, will be proved right.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Kickerts response to Goulding getting fouled was over the top but the Filipinos response was way out of line.

Manilla trike riders would have been proud at how quickly the cowards came running to put the boots in.

E

easy_tiger

mrposhman said:
but the aggressors were clearly not the aussies.

disagree.

think the Aussie who landed a left elbow onto the blokes jaw, in response to an unruly shove, would be counted as a cowards punch.

and pretty much kicked off proceedings

then the philippines pretty much finished it with quite a bit of interest and ugliness.

ugly? very. Brave Aussie innocents? Not a chance.

I have to admit to being surprised at how badly 7ft athletes fight. What the hell did the huge black aussie bloke think he was achieving leading with the soles of his feet?

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
easy said:
What the hell did the huge black aussie bloke think he was achieving leading with the soles of his feet?

Ha ha. I saw it described somewhere as a flying kick - I think they meant a fly's kick.

Maybe he just had really, really tight hammies...?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Luc Longley has been scathing in his criticism of the Filipino coach saying that he incited the Filipino players. He said that he subbed a player on to be a thug, and that the coach wouldn't look him in the eye after the game.
Good on Luc for sticking up for the players and for saying, what we all know happened.
Very disappointing behaviour from the Filipinos, the ones i've met have been good people, but to have officials, security and people from the crowd come together like hyenas is a terrible look for the nation.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just take a look at their President to see what state the country is in.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
easy said:
I have to admit to being surprised at how badly 7ft athletes fight. What the hell did the huge black aussie bloke think he was achieving leading with the soles of his feet?
Yeah, as ugly as it looked. If you watch the fight closely, there weren't that many really good punches thrown and landed (I counted only 2-3). A lot of poor imitation Kung Fu fighting you might expect to see in a fight scene from a grade 8 school production.

Compare it to Rugby League or Ice Hockey fights where two blockheads just go toe to toe punching each other in the head for virtually no effect.