Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

E

easy_tiger

Baloo said:
Just take a look at their President to see what state the country is in.

Duterte is a fully blown nut job.

Panthera Tigris said:
Yeah, as ugly as it looked. If you watch the fight closely, there were weren't that many really good punches thrown and landed (I counted only 2-3). A lot of poor imitation Kung Fu fighting you might expect to see in a fight scene from a grade 8 school production.

Compare it to Rugby League or Ice Hockey fights where two blockheads just go toe to toe punching each other in the head for virtually no effect.

The 5'5" official landed the best punches. His right cross was manny pacquio'esque. But I must admit to being slightly dissapointed in huge athletes ability to square up and fight?

I dont condone violence, and it was ugly. But if your going to watch an international all-in brawl, I want to see some technique.

Kickert should get the biggest suspension - he ignited it.

I also get why the phillipines did the selfie. They've just kicked the America of the pacific's arses in a wild west brawl. Not saying it was cool, or I would do it, but I get why they did it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If our bench and officials joined the fun in not sure there would have been teeth for the selfies

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
easy said:
Duterte is a fully blown nut job.

The 5'5" official landed the best punches. His right cross was manny pacquio'esque. But I must admit to being slightly dissapointed in huge athletes ability to square up and fight?

I dont condone violence, and it was ugly. But if your going to watch an international all-in brawl, I want to see some technique.

Kickert should get the biggest suspension - he ignited it.

I also get why the phillipines did the selfie. They've just kicked the America of the pacific's arses in a wild west brawl. Not saying it was cool, or I would do it, but I get why they did it.
Yeah, the 2-3 good punches I was referring to were from Manny Pacquio's 5'5" cousin.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Filipino's were really brave, when they saw Goulding on the ground they did what cowards do, they laid into a defenceless person and were so proud of themselves they took selfies.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
tigerman said:
The Filipino's were really brave, when they saw Goulding on the ground they did what cowards do, they laid into a defenceless person and were so proud of themselves they took selfies.

Sadly that kicking is everywhere these days. Any weekend in town and there will be a few.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
easy said:
disagree.

think the Aussie who landed a left elbow onto the blokes jaw, in response to an unruly shove, would be counted as a cowards punch.

and pretty much kicked off proceedings

then the philippines pretty much finished it with quite a bit of interest and ugliness.

ugly? very. Brave Aussie innocents? Not a chance.

I have to admit to being surprised at how badly 7ft athletes fight. What the hell did the huge black aussie bloke think he was achieving leading with the soles of his feet?

I'm not saying the aussies were innocent, clearly Kickerts forearm was out of order and should have been dealt with by the referee on the court. No need for an all out fight to start which was totally instigated by the Filipinos. The vast majority of the aussie punches / kicks were thrown to defend themselves and get themselves out of that situation, as soon as it kicked off there seemed only 1 team in it to hurt the other and it wasn't the aussies.

E

easy_tiger

mrposhman said:
I'm not saying the aussies were innocent, clearly Kickerts forearm was out of order and should have been dealt with by the referee on the court. No need for an all out fight to start which was totally instigated by the Filipinos. The vast majority of the aussie punches / kicks were thrown to defend themselves and get themselves out of that situation, as soon as it kicked off there seemed only 1 team in it to hurt the other and it wasn't the aussies.

disagree again Im afraid Mr.P.

If the huge black aussie was proficient by foot, he would have busted a couple of Philipino (is it an F or a Ph FFS?) backs. The Aussies are certainly guilty of lacking any pugilistic skill whatsoever.

The aussie leadership certainly showed more restraint than the filipinos in keeping the bench on the bench and officials out of it,

But kickerts elbow was Barry Hall'esque and started the whole brawl.

He didnt even give the ref time to foul the bloke he belted off.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Nice to see that there is positive story involving the the Basketbrawl.

Congratulaions to Troy Rike on his efforts to protect Chris Goulding.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/boomers-brawl-philippines-players-cash-reward-for-aiding-chris-goulding-ng-b88888337z

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Geez 6 games was the biggest suspension of the 10 Phillipines players, Goulding gets a match for been stomped on :help

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Mr Brightside said:
Geez 6 games was the biggest suspension of the 10 Phillipines players, Goulding gets a match for been stomped on :help

it does appear a bit out of whack when the Aussie who gave the initial elbow got 5. he deserved a decent penalty but not one game short of guys who trying to engage in a street fight.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Just saw the NBA draw, was flying out of LA on the Friday , however Lakers playing Houston the next night, my sons 2 favourite players Lebron and Harden #*&@$@& put retirement back another year

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I watched the Boomers put Canada to the sword at the World Cup last night. Dellavadova raining 3s like he was Steph Curry (6 from 10), Goulding too.

Contrary to what @Mr Brightside and Jr told me earlier this year, Bogut is alive and well, forming a formidable centre partnership with Baynes. Mills is still a little ripper. And in a side featuring 4 NBA champions, Joe Ingles is the best player. Deadset gun. And Landale will be one.

Add Simmons and hopefully Exum and Boldon for the Olympics next year and we're a real medal chance. I reckon it's close to surpassing the 1996/2000 sides for best Boomers team ever, if it hasn't already.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Turkey choked it up against the US last night, missed 4 free throws in a row when leading by 1 point with 9 seconds left to lose by 1.

The US are no certainties with all their best players missing.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Paddy mills the turnover king killing Australia

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
He misses 4 in a row and we keep going to him. Get him off.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
He gets a 2 and a 3 to probably win us the game

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Really good win by the Aussies. We had a massive lead but Lithuania came back hard and took the lead in the last quarter. To steady and end up winning by 5 is a great effort.

It should not be underestimated. Lithuania is a seriously strong basketball country. Currently ranked 5 places above us a number 6 in the world. If Simmons decides he wants to play for his country we will be a serious player on the world stage.

Doesn’t get any easier for us; next up world number 3 France. But a 3 zip record is a great start to the tournament.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Next up is the Dominican Republic....at 6.00 tonight. Don't think it will be over before the Tigers run out so I might watch it on catch up on Kayo to wind down. In the the past this is the sort of game the Boomers would drop at World Champs and Olympics. But i think we have broken out of the over achieving but under talented mould. Not saying I didn't love the Gaze era but the depth just wasn't there.
The win over Lithuania was a milestone in Boomer history. I sat there as they embarrassed us in the bronze medal match in Sydney. Speaking of which we need to avenge the semi final loss to France.

Lithuania might be the only country on earth where basketball is the No 1 sport.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Really good win by the Aussies. We had a massive lead but Lithuania came back hard and took the lead in the last quarter. To steady and end up winning by 5 is a great effort.

It should not be underestimated. Lithuania is a seriously strong basketball country. Currently ranked 5 places above us a number 6 in the world. If Simmons decides he wants to play for his country we will be a serious player on the world stage.

Doesn’t get any easier for us; next up world number 3 France. But a 3 zip record is a great start to the tournament.

France will be tough. Bogut and Baynes are going to need to hammer Gobert on the boards else he will give them a real advantage.