Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Good evening everybody and (belated) happy new year!

On the topic of concerts, the MCC/AFL would want to hope to buggery that this Taylor Swift spectacular doesn't completely f*** the MCG's turf to the point where we're seeing players slipping over left, right and centre and (God forbid) getting injured. The turf replacement they say will be ready for Round 1, but would they really say anything else? History shows these types of concerts (did you see the staging?!) have interfered with the surface long after the festivities have finished.

Not sure what sort of recourse Carlton or Richmond would have against the MCC or AFL if the unthinkable (injuries) does happen, but I'd like to think they'd hold a bit of clout here. It becomes a work safety issue.

I'll be filthy if someone does their knee or any injury all because the surface doesn't meet the needs of our game due to irresponsible and greedy scheduling. Touch wood.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Apparently, for those that are fans. Katy Perry was in town the other day doing a secret gig as well. Old mate Knees n Elbows went along of course n so did Jacindersallan. Big big week or so for music in Oz, Tay Tay, Katy, Pink n Tism all cranking it up n I missed the lot.
Ah well at least I've got a ticket to catch the Hu playing at the Crock next month, bastards better let old fart pensioners in the door or I'll be serious pissed off.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Got a few gigs lined up for 2024 so far -
Port Fairy Folkie Festival on the long weekend in March; Holy Holy in April; Nothing but Thieves in May and Pearl Jam in November. Will also get to Harvest Rock this year.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Good evening everybody and (belated) happy new year!

On the topic of concerts, the MCC/AFL would want to hope to buggery that this Taylor Swift spectacular doesn't completely f*** the MCG's turf to the point where we're seeing players slipping over left, right and centre and (God forbid) getting injured. The turf replacement they say will be ready for Round 1, but would they really say anything else? History shows these types of concerts (did you see the staging?!) have interfered with the surface long after the festivities have finished.

Not sure what sort of recourse Carlton or Richmond would have against the MCC or AFL if the unthinkable (injuries) does happen, but I'd like to think they'd hold a bit of clout here. It becomes a work safety issue.

I'll be filthy if someone does their knee or any injury all because the surface doesn't meet the needs of our game due to irresponsible and greedy scheduling. Touch wood.
Hey Blue.

Both the Tigs and the Baggers have to get by their round 0 stitch ups in QLD first and foremost.

Hopefully the week away will sort the G out.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Pfft, 96,000 watched Taylor Swift at the G last night, big deal !! :cool:

109,000 watched RFC captain Freddie Swift play at the G in the 1967 Grand Final:cupgold
Love it. Saw an interesting article on acts that have sold more tickets or attracted bigger crowds in Aus. But didn't make as much money. There were 6 or 7, included ACDC on one tour, Dire Straits but they played 10 shows in Sydney, and the Beatles. 300k tuned up at Adelaide airport!

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Thought this would be the best thread to mention this:

I went to see Black Country, New Road (Uk art rock band) at the Forum last night and they came on stage to ‘Tigerland’!

Didn’t go down well with some of the crowd, though obviously my wife and I sang along heartily. A band member later explained that it was their favourite song they’d heard since being in Australia.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Saw Wilco at The Forum tonight; first time I’ve seen them live and they were excellent. Third and final gig in Melbourne tomorrow night also sold out.

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
@Tigers of Old Sorry I missed you too mate! Nels Cline is one of the most talented guitarists I’ve ever seen. We got the extra long lead break tonight!

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Have you had a look at the form yet Spook? Who are your faves? Going to see Rickie Lee Jones next week in Melbourne. Elvis Costello, Tedeschi Trucks Band would also be ok. Otherwise pretty underwhelming , the kiddies will like Jack Johnson and Ben Harper.
Hey Mopsy, I always enjoy seeing Ben Harper (this will be at least the fifth time live). Elvis Costello probably the #1 must-see for me. TTB are meant to be awesome live so will try to catch them too. Portugal, The Man. Michelle Ndegeocello, Taj Mahal (saw him at Blues in 2001 I reckon), Tommy Emmanuel, the great man Tom Jones of course - and then as always at Blues I'm sure I'll discover someone I'd never heard of who blows me away.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hey Mopsy, I always enjoy seeing Ben Harper (this will be at least the fifth time live). Elvis Costello probably the #1 must-see for me. TTB are meant to be awesome live so will try to catch them too. Portugal, The Man. Michelle Ndegeocello, Taj Mahal (saw him at Blues in 2001 I reckon), Tommy Emmanuel, the great man Tom Jones of course - and then as always at Blues I'm sure I'll discover someone I'd never heard of who blows me away.

Yeah, I looked at the lineup and aren't going. But Taj Mahal would be great. There are always some old blues players I have barely heard of in that last tent who are great.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Old fart finally shuffled along to his first live music gig in many years. First time to the Croc n the Croc still rocks. The HU were fair pumping last night, pity the old farts hinges were fair creaking.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Have you had a look at the form yet Spook? Who are your faves? Going to see Rickie Lee Jones next week in Melbourne. Elvis Costello, Tedeschi Trucks Band would also be ok. Otherwise pretty underwhelming , the kiddies will like Jack Johnson and Ben Harper.

I dunno I think the line up is sensational this year and would love to go. I'm seeing TTB in Melbourne though.

Reactions: 1 user