Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Gotta go see the Tedeschi Trucks in 6 weeks. Pffft. Very samey. My Friends and the old girl are making me go. At least it’s at the Palais.

Boooooring !!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
On Revs - Seen some fantastic DJ's have played there. Sven Vath top of the list. Possibly the loosest Indvidual Leysy has ever come across.

Was playing all morning, with no shirt on and pants optional, then starting wrapping toilet paper around the DJ booth in between songs.

He left at midday, got picked up outside and was playing a festival in Brisbane later that afternoon. :LOL:

Some of Melbourne's best local DJ's have had residencies for over 20 years and still going. Spacey Space, Boogs and Sunshine.

Sunshine in particular has some great sets of upbeat house/techno that are perfect when at the gym.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Gotta go see the Tedeschi Trucks in 6 weeks. Pffft. Very samey. My Friends and the old girl are making me go. At least it’s at the Palais.

Boooooring !!

Going to see them as well, I love 'em. Derek Trucks is the best guitar player on the planet IMO.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Went to the Red Hot Summer tour yesterday in Mornington with half of Melbourne. Lineup highlighted by Noiseworks, Scotland’s Simple Minds & Icehouse.
Honestly Jon Stevens a tough act for anyone to follow. Just a brilliant rock vocalist who could sing anything & make it sound good.
The other acts were solid but probably not the right kind of environment for them to shine.
Having done these festivals a few times now they are a great day out & good value. So well organised & whether you like all the bands or not they’re still fun hearing their small ‘best of’ sets.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Went to the Red Hot Summer tour yesterday in Mornington with half of Melbourne. Lineup highlighted by Noiseworks, Scotland’s Simple Minds & Icehouse.
Honestly Jon Stevens a tough act for anyone to follow. Just a brilliant rock vocalist who could sing anything & make it sound good.
The other acts were solid but probably not the right kind of environment for them to shine.
Having done these festivals a few times now they are a great day out & good value. So well organised & whether you like all the bands or not they’re still fun hearing their small ‘best of’ sets.
Did Jimmy sing Love Song?

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Went to Laneway in Brisbane. Last minute offer to accompany a friend who works in the music industry, free ticket. We were 2 of maybe 50 people over 25. Music was mostly crap, tik tok sensations, boring. A couple were OK. Again, we were not the target demographic.

2 comments on how festivals have changed:
1. there were nominally 3 beers available, one craft low carb, one craft ginger, one zero alc. I'd argue none of these were real beers. Alternatively there were 20 or 30 modern day low calorie UDLs.
2. There were no pass outs. You couldn't leave. This is outrageous and a cynical cash-grab. What is the point of wrist bands? Thats why they were invented, so you can come and go. The festival wasn't a great place to relax and hang out, 35 degree heat, not much shade and concrete everywhere. My mate said it is based on some *smile* premise of stopping drugs coming in, but he said its common knowledge in the industry that its to keep all the spending inside the festival. I'd reckon that would be an easy legal challenge meself, not that I'd ever bother.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Went to Laneway in Brisbane. Last minute offer to accompany a friend who works in the music industry, free ticket. We were 2 of maybe 50 people over 25. Music was mostly crap, tik tok sensations, boring. A couple were OK. Again, we were not the target demographic.

2 comments on how festivals have changed:
1. there were nominally 3 beers available, one craft low carb, one craft ginger, one zero alc. I'd argue none of these were real beers. Alternatively there were 20 or 30 modern day low calorie UDLs.
2. There were no pass outs. You couldn't leave. This is outrageous and a cynical cash-grab. What is the point of wrist bands? Thats why they were invented, so you can come and go. The festival wasn't a great place to relax and hang out, 35 degree heat, not much shade and concrete everywhere. My mate said it is based on some *smile* premise of stopping drugs coming in, but he said its common knowledge in the industry that its to keep all the spending inside the festival. I'd reckon that would be an easy legal challenge meself, not that I'd ever bother.
If Jerome Borazio is still involved with Laneway, which i think he is, then it will always be a cash grab.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Went to see the Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty tonight at Roid Laver. Both very good.

For future reference, if 2 guys are behind you, talking loudly throughout the time when the band is playing (generally about crap not related to music), would I (as a normally non-violent person), be within my rights to punch them in the face??? Pissed me off so much, it certainly took the gloss off the night and made my enjoyment of the night much worse than it should be.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Went to see the Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty tonight at Roid Laver. Both very good.

For future reference, if 2 guys are behind you, talking loudly throughout the time when the band is playing (generally about crap not related to music), would I (as a normally non-violent person), be within my rights to punch them in the face???
Yes. The answer is Yes.

I remember going to see Pearl Jam, and this guy beside me "sang" every song. He got most of the words not quite right, was very very loud and was waaaaaaaaaaaaay off key. I don't care if people sing, but know the words and if you're *smile*, keep it down.

15-20yrs after that show and you just triggered that memory. I swear I wanted to push him down the stairs.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pfft, 96,000 watched Taylor Swift at the G last night, big deal !! :cool:

109,000 watched RFC captain Freddie Swift play at the G in the 1967 Grand Final:cupgold

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane

For future reference, if 2 guys are behind you, talking loudly throughout the time when the band is playing (generally about crap not related to music), would I (as a normally non-violent person), be within my rights to punch them in the face??? Pissed me off so much, it certainly took the gloss off the night and made my enjoyment of the night much worse than it should be.
Yes! I’m seeing them tonight at Rochford Estate - looking forward to it!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Saw 90s punk band Blink 182 on Wednesday night at Rod Laver with Rise Against in support.
Whilst I like a few of their big hits it probably wasn't a band I had on my radar for a live gig but lucky enough to get free tickets so went along.
It was apparently the first time the original lineup had played in Australia for a long time.
Overall thought they were pretty tight & Trav Barker is one heck of a drummer. Must admit though the wall to wall drumming becomes a bit samey over the course of a set.
Still their hardcore fans seemed to absolutely love it so that was infectious in itself.

Been a big week gig wise as am another off to Rochford to see Matchbox 20 tonight. Seen them before & they're a very good live act. Looking forward to it.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

109,000 watched RFC captain Freddie Swift play at the G in the 1967 Grand Final:cupgold
My 1st GF...... fmd, you've just labelled us all a bunch of Swifties!😉

• Haha

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Amazing scenes and atmosphere when I wandered through Yarra Park late yesterday arvo, had to be seen to be believed really, uplifting to see nothing but joyous thousands invade the Richmond precinct.
What a place to live when an event comes to town:)

Good on ya Tay Tay!

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Been a big week gig wise as am another off to Rochford to see Matchbox 20 tonight. Seen them before & they're a very good live act. Looking forward to it.
Got a brother up Healesville way..... reckons the traffic last weekend for whomever played was.....
un - *smile* - believable! Good luck (y)

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Amazing scenes and atmosphere when I wandered through Yarra Park late yesterday arvo, had to be seen to be believed really, uplifting to see nothing but joyous thousands invade the Richmond precinct.
What a place to live when an event comes to town:)

Good on ya Tay Tay!
Yeah I find the hate on the event and Taylor to be ridiculous.

That community is fantastic, not for me but it’s a phenom that I haven’t seen before.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah I find the hate on the event and Taylor to be ridiculous.

That community is fantastic, not for me but it’s a phenom that I haven’t seen before.
Agree. This girl definitely can sing and play music instruments compared to other hopeless wonders who just concentrate on sticking their arse out to gain attention and popularity.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Freddie was her great grandfather.
I did hear a whisper she originally wanted to have the show at Punt Road with the premiership cup on display. :giggle: