Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

Anyone go to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre?
Sounds like a great gig!

I remember watching the doco on them about 20 years ago. well worth a watch even if you are interested in their music.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone go to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre?
Sounds like a great gig!

I remember watching the doco on them about 20 years ago. well worth a watch even if you are interested in their music.
a mate did. reckons it was all staged.
partly because a similar thing happened the last time he saw them

Went & saw rock band Living Colour (with Extreme) at The Forum on Sunday.
It was a double bill but was there mainly there to see Living Colour (after being a big fan in the 80s & 90s & they didn’t disappoint). Lead vocalist Corey Glover’s powerful range has not diminished with age & Vernon Reid was getting incredible sounds out of the guitar. They played for about an hour playing many favourites & a couple of covers including a tribute to Sinead O’Connor of Prince’s Nothing Compares to You. Personal favourite was ‘Letter to a Landlord’. Was an awesome set. I just wish they’d played longer.
Extreme gave it their all but it was literally a tough act to follow. Former Van Halen vocalist Cherone in good form for a 62 yr old but whilst trying hard they were a bit too pantomime for my liking.
Just a great live venue The Forum. So intimate. Overall a great night.
I was a Living Colour fan back in the day. First album was immense, and had some bangers after that too. "Nothingness" springs to mind.

a mate did. reckons it was all staged.
partly because a similar thing happened the last time he saw them
Speaking of BJTM, I might go and see the Dandy Warhols next April. I went to a street festival back in 2016 in Chicago, Dandy's were the last act, stuck around all day only for a massive electrical storm to roll in - they played half a song and the lightning and rain meant the whole thing was called off! Ended up drinking a crapload of beers and scotch with some locals and don't remember much else!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I went to Paramore last night. Atmosphere was electric. Hayley Williams is a goddess. Crowd went wild when they changed the setlist to include All I wanted which they haven't played all tour to finish the main act before the encore. Awesome gig, so much energy. 1st time I've seen them live but would go again for sure.

Foo Fighters at AAMI , despite have crappy seats in the corner (meaning you have to twist your body for 3 hours to see the screens (too far away to actually see the band!) the FF were excellent.

Reactions: 3 users
Foo Fighters at AAMI , despite have crappy seats in the corner (meaning you have to twist your body for 3 hours to see the screens (too far away to actually see the band!) the FF were excellent.
I went too with the better half, similar seats.
Just cant get into the fooeys, obvs great musos but it doesnt do it for me.
I admit they played well and gave great value.

We walked out saying lets never do sit down or crappy seats again

I was there too. They always put on a great show. I was in the rear standing area, I thought I was doing the right thing by my kids (teens) as it was my youngests 1st standing gig, but she couldn't see a thing. We are going to the gig in Sydney tomorrow night too, but we are front standing there (I wanted to get her a bit used to standing before the front standing, hence rear in Melbourne), and ironically I suspect she will have a much better view from front standing than rear standing. We were unfortunately standing right behind a group of tall guys (in their 20's), who were letting mates join them (push through) and then literally just stood there standing at the stage the whole night, no singing, no jumping, no bouncing, no dancing. Whats the point of spending $200 / ticket and standing for 5-6 hours if you aren't even going to appear to enjoy it!!

I took my 3 (now adult) boys on Monday night. Great seats to the side of the stage near the front. Great show. Second time I've seen them and they've been great both times. The Everlong finale was something to behold.

But something needs to be said about the AAMI Park beer situation. It is an absolute disgrace. When Cascade Premium Light is the most palatable of the 4 options it is a ridiculous situation. The other 3 options were total cat's *smile*! 4 Pines, Mountain Goat and something gluten free thing I have never heard of. FFS what the *smile* is wrong with Carlton Draught. My 18 year old was most unimpressed. Craft beer is a total blight on society.

Lift AAMI Park!!!!!!

• Haha
  • Love
I took my 3 (now adult) boys on Monday night. Great seats to the side of the stage near the front. Great show. Second time I've seen them and they've been great both times. The Everlong finale was something to behold.

But something needs to be said about the AAMI Park beer situation. It is an absolute disgrace. When Cascade Premium Light is the most palatable of the 4 options it is a ridiculous situation. The other 3 options were total cat's *smile*! 4 Pines, Mountain Goat and something gluten free thing I have never heard of. FFS what the *smile* is wrong with Carlton Draught. My 18 year old was most unimpressed. Craft beer is a total blight on society.

Lift AAMI Park!!!!!!

My daughter wanted some chips, so I got her some, paid for, then she asked the lady if she could have 1 of those small packets of tomato sauce and she said yes but she had to charge her for it, 40c for a tiny packet of tomato sauce!!! Farkkkkkkkkkkk. They provide them for free at the MCG

My daughter wanted some chips, so I got her some, paid for, then she asked the lady if she could have 1 of those small packets of tomato sauce and she said yes but she had to charge her for it, 40c for a tiny packet of tomato sauce!!! Farkkkkkkkkkkk. They provide them for free at the MCG
What a joke. But not as bad as paying $13 for a plastic schooner of the cat's *smile* that is 4 Pines.

• Haha
Saw DEVO in their last ever live gig at the awesome Palais on Wednesday night with my brother.
Was actually a surprisingly good show despite their advancing age. I knew of their big hits in Whip It & Beautiful World but I didn't sit down for the entire concert.
Interesting mix of punk & electronica with great animation on the screens too. Discovered a few new tracks of theirs that have now hit the playlist.
A very unique 70/80s band & great fun.

Reactions: 5 users
Saw DEVO in their last ever live gig at the awesome Palais on Wednesday night with my brother.
Was actually a surprisingly good show despite their advancing age. I knew of their big hits in Whip It & Beautiful World but I didn't sit down for the entire concert.
Interesting mix of punk & electronica with great animation on the screens too. Discovered a few new tracks of theirs that have now hit the playlist.
Josh Freese who is now the drummer for Foo Fighters also played with Devo in the past. The FF actually did a short snip of Whip It.

Didn't realise Devo were also in town.

Last edited:
John Freese who is now the drummer for Foo Fighters also played with Devo in the past. The FF actually did a short snip of Whip It.

Didn't realise Devo were also in town.
That's really cool. :cool:
I've seen the Fooeys a few times they are always great but didn't go this time.

Off to another interesting artist in Kraftwerk tonight at Margaret Court. Stepping out of the comfort zone a bit!

Reactions: 2 users
Saw aging rockers Def Leppard & Mötley Crüe last night at Marvel.

Def Leppard whilst older are still sounding as great live as last saw them 6 years ago on the Hysteria album tour.
Joe Elliot still hit all the notes.
Crüe were quite the opposite. A band that relied heaviliy on gimmickry & backing tracks to get through their set.
Not even women flashing their cans on the big screen at Tommy Lee's request was enough to save their performance.
Vince Neil sounds like a stuck pig & looks so unhealthy.
I did like Kickstart My Heart though. Great song.

As feared, the venue choice was actually ridiculous by the promoter. Could have been half as big & fit the same number in for a far better concert experience.
I last saw Def Leppard at Rod Laver & that was great.
They'd have filled the joint back in 1989..not when the audience is 50+.
My 18yo and I went to this gig as well. Hadn't seen either band before.

Agree Def Leppard sounded very good. Better than the Crue although I thought they played too many slow songs. Also agree that Vince Neil is struggling but overall I enjoyed the MC show; very decadent and over the top. Feral but a funny experience. Geez those blokes have lived hard :mhihi. The new guitarist John 5 (yes that's how he spells it :mhihi) is a bizarre character. Can play though. Yes Kick Start My Heart was great as was Dr. Feelgood.

• Love
Did they add anything new in Beautiful World considering nothing's changed in politics/war since the song was released?

Saw them at Good Things Festival last Friday at Flemington Racecourse (plus a shedload of other bands). Great day but not sure Devo were suited to the lineup of the day but they gave their all.

I went too with the better half, similar seats.
Just cant get into the fooeys, obvs great musos but it doesnt do it for me.
I admit they played well and gave great value.

We walked out saying lets never do sit down or crappy seats again
Yeah, I say that after every time I’ve bought crappy seats. The only time I kept my word was for McCartney where we were row 10 from the front.

Devo was the very first concert I ever went to.

• Love
So, I went and saw these guys earlier in the year. It was the 3rd time, and every time they've blown the roof off with their energy.....the reason I mention them is they're coming back next year to do another weekend in Melbourne at the Croxton Park Hotel.
They like to go to a city, and play the whole weekend in one location, where every show is different. Super engaged with their fan base....

The Hold Steady.

Kind of like, E Street Band energy with a hyperactive, frenetic Lou reed (talks more than sings) front man. Their songs are like character driven stories about Charlemagne, Holly the Hood Rat, etc. Listen to Boys and Girls in America, Stay Positive for their better stuff.

Reactions: 2 users