Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

Didn’t realise Devo were in Melbourne. Just watched a couple of docos on them on You Tube this week.

I have every Devo album. Saw them last time they were here about 8 years ago at the Arts Centre.

They can be a bit hard going at times but there’s dozen’s of gems. Girl U Want, Gates of Steel, Beautiful World, Be Stiff etc

Their last album Something Else For Everybody is great.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Well German electronic band Kraftwerk were an interesting experience. Well it started off that way until I got pretty bored by it.
Admire that they were pioneers of the genre & a heavy early influence on new wave/synth etc. but tbh it was a pretty hard watch after the novelty wore off despite the stage show.
Just too wallpapery to sustain an engaging concert. Actually left before it finished.

Reactions: 1 users
Not my general taste in music - more hard rock although loathe heavy metal - but a very cute old girlfriend, back in my heyday, was a huge fan.

So I've always had a soft spot for Jackson Browne (and other singer/songwriters who can combine thoughtful lyrics with melodic and skillfully played music) and finally got to see him just a couple of weeks back.

His accompanying musicians, 3 brilliant and individual guitarists along with superb drummer, and black American singers with stunning vocals (one he told us is a friend from school days, been with his bands forever!) were just outstanding.

Did a high quality set blending his more recent songs along with classics like The Pretender and, of course, Running on Empty. The finale and encore were just rippers - any fan can guess his last number.
Maybe too mellow for many people's taste but just posting for anyone that gets a chance to still catch him sometime. Yes, amazingly, he is 75. But if you walked in blind-folded, you would never think this guy's that old. His voice is still really strong and clear. Performed with several solo numbers too, for well over an hour and a half.

Hope he keeps on keeping on and comes out again. Well worth catching - one of the good guys of the music world, very environmentally aware and an activist for racial equality etc. Lost a beautiful wife tragically and very young - but known for dating Daryl Hannah too, so pretty cool in his prime!

I went to see the Foos again on Saturday in Sydney. They were great but I'm not here to talk about them this time.

I got there early (as I always like to do) to see the support acts and was very impressed with Hot MIlk. They didn't play in Melbourne and for me they were easily the best support act I saw. I saw Teenage Joans (who were quite good) and The Chats (who aren't for me), but Hot Milk were great. Music was good, energy on stage was terrific, the heat (42 degrees) didn't stop a group from Manchester from doing their thing. They are now firmly added to my Spotify playlists.

I will never really understand those that don't go to watch support acts at gigs. 1 - you've paid to see them and 2 - you may see the next great and up and coming band. I'm still pissed that in 2015 when I went to see the Foos, my ex-wife and her cousin (who were both going with me), didn't want to watch Rise Against so made me sit in a pub (they do realise there is alcohol sold at Marvel) and I didn't see them. I'm making up for it in Feb when I see them twice though (once at the Forum and once supporting Blink 182 at Rod Laver).

I went to see the Foos again on Saturday in Sydney. They were great but I'm not here to talk about them this time.

I got there early (as I always like to do) to see the support acts and was very impressed with Hot MIlk. They didn't play in Melbourne and for me they were easily the best support act I saw. I saw Teenage Joans (who were quite good) and The Chats (who aren't for me), but Hot Milk were great. Music was good, energy on stage was terrific, the heat (42 degrees) didn't stop a group from Manchester from doing their thing. They are now firmly added to my Spotify playlists.

I will never really understand those that don't go to watch support acts at gigs. 1 - you've paid to see them and 2 - you may see the next great and up and coming band. I'm still pissed that in 2015 when I went to see the Foos, my ex-wife and her cousin (who were both going with me), didn't want to watch Rise Against so made me sit in a pub (they do realise there is alcohol sold at Marvel) and I didn't see them. I'm making up for it in Feb when I see them twice though (once at the Forum and once supporting Blink 182 at Rod Laver).
I usually watch the last support act But It is hard to get into songs you’ve never heard before. When we saw the FFs last week my daughter wanted to see the Teenage Jeans, they were good with a Runaways type vibe.

I feel like in the “good old days” the support acts were more known so you’d know a few of their songs.

Saw them at Good Things Festival last Friday at Flemington Racecourse (plus a shedload of other bands). Great day but not sure Devo were suited to the lineup of the day but they gave their all.
A couple of friends of mine went to this just to see Devo. They said Devo were great and the whole festival had a great vibe.

I usually watch the last support act But It is hard to get into songs you’ve never heard before. When we saw the FFs last week my daughter wanted to see the Teenage Jeans, they were good with a Runaways type vibe.

I feel like in the “good old days” the support acts were more known so you’d know a few of their songs.

Many bands still do that, I saw My Chemical Romance earlier this year and they had Jimmy Eat World supporting, but there are plenty of acts also trying to provide up and coming acts with breakthroughs especially in new countries. I went to see Paramore a couple of weeks ago and they did the same with Remi Wolff (who was good, clearly had a great voice, but I thought the bands instruments were turned up too loud, as it was very difficult to make out the words she sang and it kind of took away from the vocals, it seemed like it was just a volume thing getting the mix right between vocals and the music).

I saw all 4 bands that supported them across the 2 gigs and hadn't heard a track from them. It can be hard to get into them at the time if you don't know the tracks but I feel it opens new bands to your ears. The Teenage Jeans as you say were quite good, especially being as I think the band is just 2 girls so in a similar way to the White Stripes, the music they create with a duo is very good. The Chats I wasn't fond of personally.

A couple of friends of mine went to this just to see Devo. They said Devo were great and the whole festival had a great vibe.
Yeah it was great. Had a bit of an old Big Day Out vibe. Good band options including heaps of Aussie bands.

Somehow despite living in Melbourne for 15 years, last night was my first visit to the Forum. Damn its a great venue.

I saw Rise Against there last night who were excellent. Did anyone else catch them or catching them at the Blink gigs later in the month? (I'll be there on the 27th)

Somehow despite living in Melbourne for 15 years, last night was my first visit to the Forum. Damn its a great venue.

I saw Rise Against there last night who were excellent. Did anyone else catch them or catching them at the Blink gigs later in the month? (I'll be there on the 27th)
Awesome. I'm going to Blink 182 on the 14th. Can't wait.
The Forum is a great venue. Next seeing Wilco there in March too.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve lived here 57 years and haven’t been. I only went to the Astor theatre for the first time last week.

Am I a true Melburnian?

• Wow
Yes but I don’t enjoy it there.

I quite like the Palais, although I saw Bob Dylan there once, he was terrible and clearly did not want to be there. Fleet Foxes on the other hand were magnificent.

Hmm, a bit more effort and we could make a Melburnian out of you yet.

DS

I quite like the Palais, although I saw Bob Dylan there once, he was terrible and clearly did not want to be there. Fleet Foxes on the other hand were magnificent.

Hmm, a bit more effort and we could make a Melburnian out of you yet.

DS

Yep, I like the Palais. 1st concert I ever went was there. 1965, Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison, The Newbeats & Ray Columbus & The Invaders.
Loved it.
Been there quite a few times since.
Saw Joe Cocker there many times, he was great, miss him big time.

• Wow
Didn’t realise Devo were in Melbourne. Just watched a couple of docos on them on You Tube this week.

I have every Devo album. Saw them last time they were here about 8 years ago at the Arts Centre.

They can be a bit hard going at times but there’s dozen’s of gems. Girl U Want, Gates of Steel, Beautiful World, Be Stiff etc

Their last album Something Else For Everybody is great.
The opening to "Gut Feeling" gives me chills. Amazing tune.

Yep, I like the Palais. 1st concert I ever went was there. 1965, Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison, The Newbeats & Ray Columbus & The Invaders.
Loved it.
Been there quite a few times since.
Saw Joe Cocker there many times, he was great, miss him big time.

Ok, Rolling Stones, 1965, now I am jealous!

DS