Best back 6? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best back 6?

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
You're all forgetting the great man.

Sampson Sampilands to play ahead of both.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
But maybe not quite yet.

Apart from a small period in 2019 Nank and Soldo simply don't work together. Both are a liability in any other position.

With Miller looking to be a viable option to give Nank the 5 to 8 minutes rest each quarter he needs - plus the ability to provide a mobile option up forward - Will be very surprised if Soldo is selected ahead of Miller.

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yes. Tarrant.
Maybe over the course of the season Tarrant will be phased out or overtaken. But given Balta's shaky 2022, Miller's lack of experience as a key back at AFL level, and Tarrant's own strong 2022, it'd be hard to go with that from R1.

Yeah sorry I’m not getting with much of that.

Nank and Soldo both play as rucks but one is clearly superior than the other. By the usual definition Nank is number one ruckman and Soldo two.

Melbourne have 2 very high quality rucks that are much closer in standard to each other than Nank and Soldo are. That’s a different equation all together. Soldo is nowhere near the ability of Gawn or Grundy.

There’s definitely a spot for Miller. He’ll either overtake Tarrant down back or we’ll throw him forward like we did at the end of last year and have been doing in sims at training the last few weeks.

As for ruck, he might pinch hit if we have an injury or to mix things up, but I’d be surprised if the club has Miller ahead of Soldo as the second ruck.
You're confusing pecking order status with role. Nank and Soldo are both #1s in that they are both rucks first and not much else second. My (and I think commonly accepted) definition of a #2 ruck is a bloke who can hold down another position, usually forward, and take a turn in the ruck.

Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Ill go back 7, cos really it is irrelevant which 6 start on the ground, we will name 7 backs each week.
Baker
Grimes
Balta
Vlastuin
Broad
DRioli
Tarrant

It will be very interesting where Gibcus plays when fit.

Agreed we go with a back 7, not a back 6.

But with our extra midfield depth, I’m predicting Baker plays primarily forward (only goes back to provide injury cover and/or for match up purposes) and Short returns to the backline. I can also see Gibcus playing forward at times depending on match ups or if we are chasing the game.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Vlaustin Balta Grimes
Broad Tarrant Rioli
Thats a solid 6.

Really going to depend on match ups. Balta and Tarrant will get the 2 bigs. Broad and Grimes can play on smalls/medium size forwards. Rioli on the opposition quick forward. Baker and Short to play plenty of minutes at the back in 2023 for me. I think we will see Short revert back to taking the kick outs. We need to use Shorts ability to leverage the even more relaxed kick out rule (man a further 5 back now??) and get the ball almost to center wing/midfield if its on. The sling shot of Rioli, Baker, Short will make our defense look more like '17,'19','20. Hopefully with Hopper and Torranto, with Truck coaching the backs (is he the backs coach??) we can be better at stoppages deep in the opposition forward line.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Maybe over the course of the season Tarrant will be phased out or overtaken. But given Balta's shaky 2022, Miller's lack of experience as a key back at AFL level, and Tarrant's own strong 2022, it'd be hard to go with that from R1.

You're confusing pecking order status with role. Nank and Soldo are both #1s in that they are both rucks first and not much else second. My (and I think commonly accepted) definition of a #2 ruck is a bloke who can hold down another position, usually forward, and take a turn in the ruck.
Hang on, you’re saying Miller, despite years of playing down back in the VFL and a few games at AFL level is better suited to a ruck role where he’s only played a couple of times at AFL level ? That’s a massive call.

Tarrant and Riewoldt are both 34 this year and looked very shaky at times last year. I’d be surprised if the club thought that they’d try and use Miller in a ruck role before seeing if he could fill one of those spots , especially when we’ve already got Soldo and Ryan to play ruck.

The guy can run 2.9 for 20m so I’m pretty sure the club will see if he can primarily play a KPD or KPF role for us before putting him into the ruck and sending Soldo to purgatory. He might pinch hit in the ruck at times but I’d be surprised if the club didn’t have a primary KPD or KPF focus for him.

There was training sim footage of him the other week playing forward, with Grimes on him from memory. Think Caesar has said he’s been going forward a fair bit of the time in other games too. Good.

And if you think Balta was shaky last year down back, then isn’t that further reason to look at him as a defender before a ruck ?

You seem to be creating arguments against yourself where the long play with Miller is concerned (ie not just round 1).

If he shows enough form, there’s plenty of opportunity for Miller to play with Nank and Soldo in the side. Plenty.

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Leysy has no doubt the clubs first choice for Miller is to play forward and relief ruck. And that is where he will start round 1.

Quite rightly.

In other words Confusedford has this one wrong :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Leysy has no doubt the clubs first choice for Miller is to play forward and relief ruck. And that is where he will start round 1.

Quite rightly.

In other words Confusedford has this one wrong :LOL:
So you’ve written Soldo out of the senior side too ?

(Note Illiterate Days: the question was not about round 1 either.)

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, have wrote Soldo off our best team. Round 1 or otherwise.

But he will be handy at stages during the year when Nank needs a rest or lighter duties.

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Yeah sorry I’m not getting with much of that.

Nank and Soldo both play as rucks but one is clearly superior than the other. By the usual definition Nank is number one ruckman and Soldo two.

Melbourne have 2 very high quality rucks that are much closer in standard to each other than Nank and Soldo are. That’s a different equation all together. Soldo is nowhere near the ability of Gawn or Grundy.

There’s definitely a spot for Miller. He’ll either overtake Tarrant down back or we’ll throw him forward like we did at the end of last year and have been doing in sims at training the last few weeks.

As for ruck, he might pinch hit if we have an injury or to mix things up, but I’d be surprised if the club has Miller ahead of Soldo as the second ruck.
If they play all three, it's possible that Miller plays as the tactical sub often. Half way through the third quarter either Soldo or Nank gets subbed for Miller. In that scenario he'd be perfect for the role.

That's if Tarrant plays and Cotch plays (I expect he will sub a few times). I for one think that Soldo will be asked to start as the No1 ruck in the VFL and build a block of games being ready to replace Nank or force his way into the team on form or injury. That's his role now. He'll get poached next year if he has a solid year this year.

Last edited:

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Nothing against robbie tarrant,

I think he was a great pick-up

And he was only one corrupt ARC process away from

A medal.

But i think our chances of success this year increase with every VFL he plays

My regular 7 looks like this

Vlastuin balta grimes

Baker Broad Gibcus Rioli

Depth: tarrant short miller cotchin biggy banks brown

Tarranto and hopper is like having two Queens on a chessboard

Everything is liberated; every move insured.
It's a luxury to have Short, who regularly tops the league in metres gained when he plays as a small defender, not even in our top 6-8 named defenders. Also B&F in a Premiership year as a small defender. Let's hope Shorty can translate that kind of form into an outside mid runner and deliver long and direct into our forwards.

Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Having said all that, I can see Dimma wanting to play both Soldo and Nank. It worked in 2019 and was working even better in 2020. Soldo giving our reinforced midfield first use is tantalising. But again, I don't see where that leaves Miller. Try picking an injury-free team with all three in it. Someone has to miss out - is it Cumberland? Tarrant?
Tarrant for mine. Carlton have the best duo of tall forwards, plus Cripps who will also spend time there.
Tarrant may offer value against slower and generally weaker teams, but I don’t think he will play against Carlton.
Not so sure that Soldo will either!
Young may be a chance to debut?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You're all forgetting the great man.

Sampson Sampilands to play ahead of both.
Probably not rd1 tho, or rd5.
It would certainly be great for the team tho if he could establish himself as a credible key forward and a credible ruckman this year.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Ruck long term, but will start senior career with more time forward and be backup ruck for Leysy.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Agreed we go with a back 7, not a back 6.

But with our extra midfield depth, I’m predicting Baker plays primarily forward (only goes back to provide injury cover and/or for match up purposes) and Short returns to the backline. I can also see Gibcus playing forward at times depending on match ups or if we are chasing the game.
Doubt Short ever returns to the backline

Baker better suited back there

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Nank/Soldo/Miller/Tarrant/Reiwoildt/Lynch in the one side? Na.

Soldo hasn't shown he is effective enough around the ground. That injury derailed him.

Miller plays relief ruck swing man for me too.

Caseys9420

Tiger Cub
Jan 26, 2023
I'm hoping this will be our back 7 by seasons end, it's got the Youth & experience balance just right

Balta
Gibcus
Rioli
Baker
Grimes
Vlastuin
Broad
----------------------
with depth of
Tarrant
Biggie
Young