Best Footballer In The Past 10 years | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best Footballer In The Past 10 years

Who did you think is the best football of the past 10 years ?

• Wayne Carey

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Voss

• James Hird

• Gary Ablett

• Greg Williams

• Tony Lockett

• Someone Not Mentioned

• Total voters

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Some absoulute class.

I really believe the best in the past 10 years is Michael Voss. A footballer who leads by example. Star when Brisbane struggle and always up there in the Brownlow.

Great question nwonash, although I think there are only 2 options there, Voss and Carey. They are a long way in front of the rest.

I've met Voss, down the local in fact and he is not only a champion footballer, but also a very nice bloke.

Voss is courageous, tough, skillful on either side, a fine leader and universally liked and respected, whilst Carey was (I emphasise WAS) physically remarkable with his pace and strength, and has that arrogance about him which seems to follow many of the greats in sport.

I cannot split them. Perhaps I am biased towards Voss. Both absolutely complete footballers.

Im going to go against the tide and chuck in a vote for Robert Harvey, was a superstar twice over, winning the brownlow twice. Recently he has redeveloped his game, so that he is still a force and is a big chance to win his third brownlow after many were writing him off a couple of seasons ago.

So going back for the last 10 years I activate the memory cells and have to say Lockett. Vos is recent say 5 years out of the 10, Lockett hit alltime legend status, and STK, nad look at the trade period in 94(?), a nation stopped to here he wanted to come to the RFC but ended up at Syd. Then He put Syd on the map & GF berth.He would would have been there for 7/10 years in an elite level.. well thats me thoughts for ya...

Nice one, very nice question nwonash. But I have to go against the grain here.

Gary Ablett. I've seen them all play, and although he was never going to be a premiership winner for his team, Ablett was the most amazing 'supporters' player I've ever seen. I've met him on a few occassions, and personally he has no respect what-so-ever. But on the field, he was magic and I'll never forget that. Everytime the ball went near him, you'd just be waiting for the mark of the century. And occassionally, you'd get it. Not a team player, not even a match winner, but the most amazing footballer I've ever seen nonetheless. Ablett had a kind of tallent I'm sure I'll never see again.

TS

I went For Lockett. If this guy had played for most of his career in a team other than StKilda he would have won more than one Brownlow I can assure you.

True Shawry.

I went for Carey, just on the basis that CHF is probably the most difficult position to play, and he was the master. Voss a very close second IMO.

It's a tough one but I went for Ablett based on what we saw him do to the Tigers time and time again. I guess the fact that he never played in a premiership would go against him but some of the greatest ever have not made it onto the victory dais. They are all great players and it's sad that there's no Richmond player remotely close to making the list.

Voss for me. For his toughness, skill, leadership, success, ability to win a game single handed. Most of all for being an ideal AFL role model for kids.

Ablett the most naturally gifted and exciting, but Voss gets my vote as the complete package.

Interested to know how people rate leadership qualities in this thread - Voss, Hird, Buckley, Carey are (were) leaders of their clubs (not just captains) - how important is that quality in a 'best' footballer ?

Hartbalme: I think ti is crucial. IT is a team game so if they can add that in addition to their talents they are contributing to the team a lot more than they would be without it. They lead by example anyway so not really an issue with these players but it does make them better yes.

Wayne Campbell, absolute champion. ;D

As far as footy smarts and skill goes, I think James Hird is by far superior to anyone we've seen in the last ten years. (Greg Williams was quite good I admit, but Hird has done it with his hands as well as his feet). Never gets out of second gear, never needs to, makes it look easy.

For the 'freak' factor can't go past Ablett, some of the things he done defied logic.

Most consistent would have to be Buckley, Harvey and Lockett. Hardly everplayed a bad game those 3.

The best at the moment is Voss, but i'd like to see him dominate for a few more years before I say he is the best.

I think Carey, whilst up there, is quite overrated.

So the best overall? Wayne Campbell. ;D

Got to say Wayne Carey.

If this poll was conducted 4-5 years ago I think his footballing ability would have given him a larger percentage of the votes. Don't like the bloke but absolute matchwinning ability has to be no.1

Voss- Brilliant everything, but not the real CHF packbuster that Carey has been.

Hird - Love him, has all the brains that Richmond lack, only lacks physical presence when being scragged like last Sat.

Would have to be Greg Williams for his great ability with numbers. ;)
And he never really looked like he was being taxed at all ;D

For overall skill and ability,a man who not only knows where the ball is going to be,he also knew how to take marks and kick goals no other player could kick he was also so cool under pressure and so cocky and when the whole world hates him thats how you know hes the best and to top it off his Nickname is the KING.This guy could play either end with the same influence there has been no better player hes a clear standout and i hate his guts.

Geez , cant believe I left out Robert Harvey. When I was orignally thinking of this, I had him included.

I freaked out when I saw the number of games Brisbane had won without Voss. He will certainly go down as one of the greatest ever.

As previously mentioned, Voss is a great person to meet and always too happy to sign an autograph and he signs his full name.

nwonash said:
Geez , cant believe I left out Robert Harvey. When I was orignally thinking of this, I had him included.

What about Silvagni?