The day Dunstall kicked 17. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The day Dunstall kicked 17.

Slattery

Tiger Cub
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Has anyone got a copy of the game where Dunstall kicked 17 against the tigers at VFL Park?
I was behind the goals watching in awe that day and would love to see it again.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Yes, I remember it too.

I remember on one kick out after a behind, Johnny Manton grubbing his kick out, the ball rolled directly to Jason Dunstall, whom promptly dobbed it straight back over Manton's head for another goal.

Hope I got that right.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Phantom said:
Yes, I remember it too.

I remember on one kick out after a behind, Johnny Manton grubbing his kick out, the ball rolled directly to Jason Dunstall, whom promptly dobbed it straight back over Manton's head for another goal.

Hope I got that right.

I don't think that was the day he kicked 17.
That was on a different occasion out at Waverley when he also took a screamer in the goal square.
We lost that game also.........nothings changed.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
The Boss said:
That was on a different occasion out at Waverley when he also took a screamer in the goal square.

Just to add to the confusion, are you sure about that? I think that may have been the game against Geelong when ablett snr kicked 14. Phil Egan was on him and took a speccy over the great man in the goal square late in the game.

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
Phantom said:
Yes, I remember it too.

Hope I got that right.
The Johnny Manton game was a few years before.Manton called his Mum telling her he was going to on 'Mark of the Day'.She would have been suprised when her son was under a Dunstall Hanger!.

langers1971

Tiger Cub
Mar 4, 2008
this game was one of those not televised by channel 7 on the day, just a single camera was used for these non televised games.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Legends of 1980 said:
Just to add to the confusion, are you sure about that? I think that may have been the game against Geelong when ablett snr kicked 14. Phil Egan was on him and took a speccy over the great man in the goal square late in the game.

I think I misread the quote beforehand :-[

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Time gets away.

I remember a few Tiger FBs getting cleaned up.

Johnny Manton, Michael Laffy. Reckon Scotty Turner got towelled up once too, early on.

One that I remember, Bartlett leaving first year player Wayne Peters on Gary Ablett at his peak.
Peters looked a very good prospect. He never recovered from it.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Pickers35 said:
.Manton called his Mum telling her he was going to on 'Mark of the Day'.She would have been suprised when her son was under a Dunstall Hanger!.

That's so funny. ;D

What year and round was the game Slattery? I'm not sure if I've got it or not.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Mr Pumblechook said:
Nope - but I remember it well.

"A season's worth of free kicks" he said afterwards.

I reckon the umpires wanted to part of history and tried to get Dunstall to the record. He got one free in the goal square while the ball was on the wing.

The Boss said:

Yeah, that was Anzac Day '89. I remember it because the weather was probably the best I've ever watched football in.

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
Let me throw my hat into the ring

My memory is that the day Dunstall kicked 17 goals, - it DID include the moment where Manton , in kick off, kicked the ball to himself but fumbled, and Dunstall came in and tackled Manton and got a free kick and Dunstall kicked a goal.

That day I was in the commentary box, with my father and Sam Newman, who were doing around the ground commentary, and I vividly remember 3AW constantly just saying 'interrupt us KB and Sam' if Dunstall has a chance to kick his 18th (which would equal the record).

There was a moment late in the game where Dunstall could have received a handball in the goalsquare, but it wasn't the case.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
rbartlett said:
Let me throw my hat into the ring

My memory is that the day Dunstall kicked 17 goals, - it DID include the moment where Manton , in kick off, kicked the ball to himself but fumbled, and Dunstall came in and tackled Manton and got a free kick and Dunstall kicked a goal.

That day I was in the commentary box, with my father and Sam Newman, who were doing around the ground commentary, and I vividly remember 3AW constantly just saying 'interrupt us KB and Sam' if Dunstall has a chance to kick his 18th (which would equal the record).

There was a moment late in the game where Dunstall could have received a handball in the goalsquare, but it wasn't the case.

Manton didn't play in the Dunstall 17 match. It was a long time ago so your mind should be excused for playing tricks on you.  ;)

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Phantom said:
Time gets away.

Johnny Manton, Michael Laffy. Reckon Scotty Turner got towelled up once too, early on.

I'm fairly certain you will find that Duncan Kellaway also played on Dunstall that day. I remember him being interviewed by the Age a day or two later, and they asked him if he got a sore neck watching the ball sail over his head and through the goals.

richardlounder37

RBF say...Cheer up... or is that Everything Sucks!
Aug 18, 2004
Scotty Turner is the only player to keep Dunstall goalless in a game TWICE.

Phantom said:
Time gets away.

One that I remember, Bartlett leaving first year player Wayne Peters on Gary Ablett at his peak.
Peters looked a very good prospect. He never recovered from it.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
richardlounder37 said:
Scotty Turner is the only player to keep Dunstall goalless in a game TWICE.

I chuckle when I see this fact. I recall one of those nights being a pretty wet and windy night at the G when the Hawks were a fading power, and the Tigers for a change were playing good footy. While Turner did his job, he got a lot of help.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Scotty as a player, but this fact is just a "right place at the right time" type thing IMO.

dblt

on victory we thrive just eat'em alive
Jan 29, 2009
corio, geelong
Streak said:
I'm fairly certain you will find that Duncan Kellaway also played on Dunstall that day. I remember him being interviewed by the Age a day or two later, and they asked him if he got a sore neck watching the ball sail over his head and through the goals.
sorry champ i think u will find d kellaway did'nt play in '92 he played his 1st game the year later the same game as m richo v st kilda at the 'g think m richo kicked 7 ?

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
erm, scotty turner played on dunstall almost through the entirety of the game and remember thinking when the coach is going to change something... didn't get it then (at 12 years of age) and still dont know now... this is why in that game when dunstall was kept goaless that it was not just because of being goaless, but the fact that turner had been on the receiving end of a spanking & got his pay back years down the track...

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
dblt said:
sorry champ i think u will find d kellaway did'nt play in '92 he played his 1st game the year later the same game as m richo v st kilda at the 'g think m richo kicked 7 ?

Correct and incorrect!Richo and Duncs did debut in that game, but Richo only kicked one or 2 goals, but he did have 20 or so possessions and take 10 or 11 marks! That's the amazing thing about his career! He started killing them in the air, and at the point when he went down this year, he was leading the competition by a mile for marks. In fact it took till round 9 for J.Brown to pass Richo's contested marks (19). Richo had 19 in Round 4 before doing the innitial buttocks injury in round 5!

Back on topic! I was on my way to my sister's wedding the day Dunstall bagged 17, so i didn't get to the game!
I did get to the wet night game where Scotty Turner held him goaless though! The great thing about this was that Dunstall launched his book "The Goal King" that same week before the game - and didn't the Tiger fans love reminding him of that during the game!