Best On Ground | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best On Ground

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
There's no doubt we use different critetia for giving votes so it would be interesting to read why people chose the player they gave BOG.

I gave 3 votes to Coughlan. I did that because all of his posessions were hard earned. He put his body on the line, he tackled well, he made the opposition know that there were actually Tigers players willing to hit them hard.

I think Cogs was way better than Campbell. Campbo's posessions were often as a loose man in defence. Cogs only had 2 posessions less than Campbo but he also laid 8 tackles to Campbos 0.

It seems a Richo is a popular choice for bog. I can't see it that way though. Was very ordinary 1st quarter and the rest of his posessions were all around the ground, on the wing and even in the defensive 50.

I guess I didn't vote for Cogs on his stats even though they are way up near the top. I voted for him because of his hardness and endevour. It's ages since we've seen that at Tigerland.

Does anyone else want to post the reasons that gave 3 votes to the player they chose?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I won't be voting this week as I didn't see or hear any of the match but normally I vote for the player who is the most influential towards us winning or who stood up for us all night if we lose. I know other people go on 4 quarter efforts but if the game is over by 3/4 time I personally don't like rewarding players who get a number of possies in junk time.

Going on tonight's stats (not a good guide I agree but one many of media use ::)) I would be more likely to give 3 votes to AK, Chaffey, Cambo or Tivs who seemed to be in the game all night. Cogs from his stats was quiet early but came more into the match just before half time and in the second half. Possibly that's why the Tiges got back within 4 points at one stage.

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
Pretty much agree with Tiger of Old,
You have to take serious consideration on a players direct opponent, thats why I left Cogs out, it looked like Riccuito was mostly his man and was a lot more penetrating and damaging with his possesions although I agree Coghlan runs hard and puts his body on the line and takles well. Something that Bowden, Biddescombe, Houlihan and Pettifer don't do that often.
Campbell was quite easily Richmonds best IMO and gets a lot more "hard ball gets" than people realise, he also presents himself and gives assistance and alternatinve options better than most others.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Totally agree Rosy - Cogs was BOG by a mile. Didn't even notice that Campbell was on the ground as he had no impact. It seemed that Cogs was playing alone all game.

Its a big shame whats happening at the moment - we have a big asset in Coughlan who can consistently win the hard ball but to no avail. We don't have enough players that are willing to leave their opponents and run hard and create a moving option for Coughlan to dish off to. Numerous times Coughlan won the ball and was met with a brick wall with no support. This is a severe downfall in our game plan.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I agree with Mighty Tiges and Tropical Tiger. The criteria I use, at the simplest level, is who contributed the most to our winning the game.

I thought Wayne Campbell was pretty average tonight. Didn't do too many inspirational things, or critical plays, but he did the simple things right, and was effective with every disposal he had.

Coughlan was pretty average as well, and about ten of his disposals either went to Adelaide players or were wastes of disposal as we couldn't take advantage of them. Ricciutto had the better of him as well. He did tackle well however, and he did committ with his body. But did anyone notice Campbell back into packs tonight? Did it on quite a few occasions and got a knee at the back of the head of Burton. Can't say he doesn't have courage.

I don't think anyone really played well though tonight. Pretty much everyone had a shocker. In the voting I gave Campbell 3 votes. This wasn't because he was a star, but simply for the fact that there was no Tiger better than him.

As soon as he went off with a few minutes to go in the third term we were finished. We have no idea when he isn't on the ground.

Oh and by the way, Harry, if you missed on a player getting 26 disposals then you musn't have been paying too close attention.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
John, do you know who Campbo's man was? We were trying to work it out but didn't really see him near anyone.

Danny said Campbo did well playing on Ladhams. Ladhams killed us. 28 posessions and 11 marks. Would give him the points if that was the case.

I wonder how Campbo would have gone if he was tagged as heavily as Bowden was by Stenglein? I am not as disappointed in Joel this week as some are. Adelaide paid him great respect, and if the tag nullified Joels game it should have left someone else free to stand up.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I couldn't really figure out who his opponent was either. At one stage I thought it was Ladhams, at another stage I thought it was Scott Welsh.

I think Ladhams was rotating through the midfield and up forward. I'm also unsure as to whether Cambo was on Ladhams when he did kill us, as he spent 5 minute stints on the bench in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter.

Cambo was nowhere near Ladhams bar on a few occasions so its hard to know whether he was playing a loose man across half back or whatever.

If he was so playing on him, then I'll agree that Ladhams got the better of him, even though he was kept goalless.

About the Stenglein tag on Bowden, Cambo has been receiving the best tagger from the opposition team for the last 8 years. Obviously he wasn't going to get a tight tag just coming back from injury as he was clearly underdone. Bowden should have dealt with it better. And it wasn't just that he didn't get the big stats, its what he did when he got the ball, and had minimal pressure on him.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I was just going by this quote of Danny's John, as well as the fact that Ladhams was the player we thought looked like Campbo's partner as far as we could see.

“I thought they (the defenders) were terrific. (Wayne) Campbell coming back … he and (Chris) Ladhams had a good duel.

It's all academic really, I was just interested to know. It's so hard to work out matchups watching on telly.

Agree Joel should have done better. I also think Campbo has a history of not playing well over the years when he has had a tight negative tagger on him. I was just commenting that Joel doesn't always get that attention and is a big reason his posessions were down.
Not an excuse by a long shot. It's just not good enough. :mad:

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Well if he played on Ladhams then he certainly doesn't deserve 3 votes. Can't be bothered changing my votes now, but i'll go a bit harsher on him when he has a good one next time.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Nathan Bassett was BOG by a country mile. Tyson Edwards did well too and t obe honest i realyl didnt notice Ladhams at the ground.

AS for Richmond i thought Coughlan by a mile. Not only getting the footy his hardness and tackling and smothering realyl stood out. Campbell and Richo did ok but Coughlan far and away in my opinion. A.Kellaway always reliable too.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
I based my BOG on Chaff for the fact he layed some great tackles and held the back line togeather all night.

I actually thought cogs had an average game as he was running with Riccutio, and I thought he killed us.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I based my votes on who tried their guts out all night. Hence why Richo got my 3. Also, he did what we needed which was present time and time again and considering the crap delivery to him, I thought he was really good.

Campbo I gave 2 because he gave us leadership. And as JohnF said when he went off in the 3rd we just fell in a heap. Also, I think everyone of his kicks hit a target or if they didn't they went to a contest that didn't disadvantage us.

I admire the way that Cogs gets the ball but his disposal on Saturday night at crucial times was awful. That handball that went 40 metres up and 10 metres forward that should have hit Leon on the chest. The left foot kicks when he had to time to steady and kick with his right. Crucial errors. I have always said it isn't the amount of possession but the quality of them. That's why I didn't give him any votes

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I think Richo had an extremely ordinary first quarter and looked all set for another shocker.

It makes me wonder why Danny has persevered with keeping him sulking in the goal square the last few weeks.

As soon as Danny put Richo up the ground he improved.

Makes you wonder what might have happened if it had been done weeks ago. :mad:

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
Campbo I gave 2 because he gave us leadership. And as JohnF said when he went off in the 3rd we just fell in a heap. Also, I think everyone of his kicks hit a target or if they didn't they went to a contest that didn't disadvantage us.

Cogs delivery is done under pressure all of the time. Campbo hit targets, but he was out on his own with no pressure at all this week.

Campbo left his man to his own devices and that man Ladhams was probably in the Crows top 3 or 4 players.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Further evidence that Danny has liitle idea. And when he is moved away from the square, he always kicks 3-4 goals.

I thought that Richo played a great game, and would have been better if we had some crumbers at his feet.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I think I'll give the replay another look and see when Ladhams got the majority of his possessions. Campbell wasn't on the ground in the last minutes of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarter and i suspect that's when he must have got alot of his possessions, because I didn't notice Ladhams beat Cambo in many situations.

Coughlan was under pressure for sure, but I think he also stuffed up quite a few things under no pressure. Not every single one of his possessions were under pressure. At least half were where he had no pressure.

Anyway... let's get over it

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
What's there to get over John, ha.

I think it's really interesting to read how people rate players games.

I'm the first to admit I admire defensive players, whereas I know a lot of people don't.

There could have been half a dozen players we could justify giving 3 votes to. Pity a few more don't put in.

As for watching the replay, I certainly won't be. I feel ripped off I don't have many good games taped to watch over the pre-season yet again.

I rarely watch a loss again, especially the way we've been losing lately.

(P.S. I wouldn't say Ladhams beat Campbo, rather they played wide of each other from what I could gather.)