Best tips to manage stress | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best tips to manage stress

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Hi guys, I thought I would start this thread to talk about stress.

I have a stressful job, and have a family (young kids), mortgage and all those things that most others would juggle.

I just thought we have so many wise heads around here that it would be good to share ideas and provide encouragement. I want this to be a positive thread.

To manage stress I try and get active. I also read and write on PRE. I also try and stay positive.

My wife thinks I would be less stressed if I didn't support Richmond. But that won't happen.

E

easy_tiger

go out on a starry night MB, look up, and try find a constellation in the shape of Trent Cotchin.

If you find one. well, great. If you dont. well, great.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
MB78 said:

I have a stressful job, and have a family (young kids), mortgage and all those things that most others would juggle.

I just thought we have so many wise heads around here that it would be good to share ideas and provide encouragement. I want this to be a positive thread.

To manage stress I try and get active. I also read and write on PRE. I also try and stay positive.

My wife thinks I would be less stressed if I didn't support Richmond. But that won't happen.

My wife thinks that your wife is correct MB78 :hihi
My days of doing anything too strenuous are past me, i do find a good long walk very beneficial though.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
MB78 said:

Our beloved club could be in for a class action lawsuit if these failed seasons continue. ;D

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
MB78 best tips that I would give , you mentioned and so did others.

Combine all these in your week and you will be fine or less stressed!

-exercise daily
-walk
-laugh
-be around positive people who give off positive energy. Too much negativity will stress you out more.
-don't worry too much about the Tigers so much. Hard to do I know but each year it becomes ever so slightly easier. Hurts after a loss but not 5-6 days. If you can drop down to 1-2 it will be beneficial for you and us all.
-better work, life and balance

And
-family

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
MB78 said:

Get your work/family balance right. Did wonders for me. I went down to 4 days a week. Sure you lose a bit of money but your mental health will thank you for it.

Also get a hobby, an outlet (not just watching footy though!).

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
tigertim said:
Get your work/family balance right. Did wonders for me. I went down to 4 days a week. Sure you lose a bit of money but your mental health will thank you for it.

Also get a hobby, an outlet (not just watching footy though!).

Interesting to work less hours and go to a 4 day week. A good consideration.

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
waiting said:
MB78 best tips that I would give , you mentioned and so did others.

Combine all these in your week and you will be fine or less stressed!

-exercise daily
-walk
-laugh
-be around positive people who give off positive energy. Too much negativity will stress you out more.
-don't worry too much about the Tigers so much. Hard to do I know but each year it becomes ever so slightly easier. Hurts after a loss but not 5-6 days. If you can drop down to 1-2 it will be beneficial for you and us all.
-better work, life and balance

And
-family

Thanks for this post. Great tips. I need to improve the balance better, but I try and implement and improve on the rest.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
waiting said:

agree with rest except this. Positivity is good, but I hate fake positivity, and I think its healthy to have a range of perspectives. I'd much rather be around honest interesting curmudgeons than boring pollyannas. Not everyone is or can be positive all the time, do you avoid a friend who is going through a downer? I don't. Being around a negative person can also make you feel like you're Jackie McDonald by comparison. Also, when I'm down, blues music and Hank Williams makes me feel happy.

I consider myself to be a positive person, but other think I'm too negative, who is correct? Is there a correct view? Buggered if I know.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
No I understand Tiger.

Clarifications would be to be around non fake people but not all negative people.

Mixture.

Agree

Sometimes I can be too much as I've been in my past.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Diet, exercise and sleep are the most important factors imo. When your energy levels are low your stress levels are multiplied. Very difficult to get a good balanced diet with a busy lifestyle. Best thing I've done recently is get one of those nutri bullet things. Throw in kale broccoli spinach celery carrots ginger apples oranges etc blend it up and away you go. Surprisingly tastes ok. Energy levels up, stress down.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Good tips so far.

When I get stressed at work due to a stuff-up, two things help. A guy once said to me - "in six months no-one will even remember this - so don't even worry about it."

The more profound approach is to stargaze or contemplate the universe in some way. Consider the grandeur of the stars, the planets, the universe. Think about how amazing but how short our time is as part of that. Our problems become tiny - but the beauty that we get to experience is wonderful. Try and use this focus in your relationships with your family and friends particularly.

Helps me anyway.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
poppa x said:
Always looking forward with a positive mind set,
And never looking back with regret is what works for me.

Agree. Easier said than done sometimes though. I'm still annoyed I didn't get the 2004 Melbourne Cup trifecta ;D

E

easy_tiger

antman said:
The more profound approach is to stargaze or contemplate the universe in some way. Consider the grandeur of the stars, the planets, the universe. Think about how amazing but how short our time is as part of that. Our problems become tiny - but the beauty that we get to experience is wonderful. Try and use this focus in your relationships with your family and friends particularly.

I do that too. With the added technique of trying to find Richmond players faces in the stars. It kind of adds a layer to the futility and expanse of things. The reality is, the universe is so big, that even Taylor Hunt's face would be up there in the stars.

Futility sounds negative and defeatist, but it actually a very liberating realisation.

we all end up as worm food. In a geological or universal time frame, we are like moths who live for a day. not even.

This make one realise that a busted photocopier, or worse, isnt that important.

I do, however, still struggle to apply this perspective to a Richmond defeat. hence the constellation practice.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
antman said:
Good tips so far.

When I get stressed at work due to a stuff-up, two things help. A guy once said to me - "in six months no-one will even remember this - so don't even worry about it."

Helps me anyway.

Any UFOs? ;D I used to stargaze more when I was a kid....no matter how cold the air was at night.

One tip to manage stress is to go and find a quiet little comfort zone to reflect and re-energise yourself.