FIFA Corruption | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA Corruption

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32895048

Breaking news, Swiss police have arrested at least six FIFA officials on corruption charges just prior to their annual general meeting where the king of slime, Sepp Blatter, is seeking another term as that rotten organisation's chief money man.

Hope this can fall back on Blatter who is an absolute grub.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Pity Blatter wasn't one of those arrested but surely it must show the soccer world that his regime must go.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
For anyone interested in signing a global petition to dump Blatter - already over 500,000 signatures.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/fifa_blattner_en_loc/?boPLrbb&v=59462

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
When the telegraph in the UK write pieces like this, you know FIFA corrpution is the farce to end all farce

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/11229335/Fifa-Sepp-Blatter-awards-2026-World-Cup-to-Hell.html

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Never understood why they awarded the 2022 WC at the same time as the 2018 WC. Only reason i can think of is to get another quick round of bribes before retiring or dying.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
jb03 said:
Never understood why they awarded the 2022 WC at the same time as the 2018 WC. Only reason i can think of is to get another quick round of bribes before retiring or dying.

They probably realised that Qatar would need as much time as possible to build all their stadiums

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
year of the tiger said:
They probably realised that Qatar would need as much time as possible to build all their stadiums
so you are suggesting Qatar knew they were going to get the gig before countries even nominated and the bidding process even began.

Actually, that is feasible.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
jb03 said:

besides the obvious possible corruption theories already mentioned, i think there is merit to bidding for more than one WC at a time, same for the Olympics. Countries spend millions bidding. why not have say 3 WC/olympics being bid at once. it would cut down on a lot of waste, and give bidders a fairer chance of being successful IMO.
I may be wrong, but i think the winter olympics might do this now, have bidding for 2 at once.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
jb03 said:
so you are suggesting Qatar knew they were going to get the gig before countries even nominated and the bidding process even began.

Actually, that is feasible.

Yes I was only half joking but I have heard that this theory has been raised quite a few times - something to do with a bloke called Hammond?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Baloo said:
His cronies do the voting. Not much will change

Thats it. It speaks volumes for the entrenched corruption that he got back in, a majority of delegates want protection and opacity, not reform and transparency. Its astounding and predictable at the same time. FIFA $$ has a turnover bigger than some countries, but doesn't have to answer to any national laws. A few years ago after the the last big scandal before this one, Blatter made a big show of hiring a gun international corporate governance expert to write a report on how to reform it. She wrote an instruction manual on how to do it and what was needed, Sepp went 'thanks for that' and nothing happened. Zero. For as long as a majority have their heads in the trough, nothing will happen, the majority is shrinking, but still there.

How is his 'the buck doesn't actually stop with me' line? Hide like a rhino.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Someone posted on a blog a global map of perceived corruption among countries. It forms an interesting overlay with those countries that are pro and anti Blatter.

https://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
really hope the arrested officials sing like birds and the FBI are able to mount a case against blatter. in a strange way I'm sorta glad he still won the vote as it keeps him in the spotlight.

did anyone hear the interview of the UK investigative reporter (Jenkins or whatever his name is) on SEN last week? fascinating stuff... especially in regards to the money jack warner stole from us.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The thing is Blatter has gained the support of the majority of delegates because each country's vote holds as much weight as the next country. American Western Samoa's vote is as important as Brazil's.

Blatter did work hard to ensure the smaller nations and confederations got a greater piece of the FIFA money pie than warranted but it needed to happen. Europe and South America dominated soccer's global decisions. We can look at Australia and see that under Blatter, we are now a regular World Cup Finals participant, as are more asian and african countries.

So I understand why Blatter has the support, he has earned it to a certain extent. What he has failed at is ensuring his supporters are clean. He hasn't stamped down on corruption. He's probaby corrupt as well. That FIFA is mire in corruption under his watch is why he needs to go down.

But understanding how he got voted in again really isn't that hard and it's not necessarily corruption.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Baloo said:
The thing is Blatter has gained the support of the majority of delegates because each country's vote holds as much weight as the next country. American Western Samoa's vote is as important as Brazil's.

Blatter did work hard to ensure the smaller nations and confederations got a greater piece of the FIFA money pie than warranted but it needed to happen. Europe and South America dominated soccer's global decisions. We can look at Australia and see that under Blatter, we are now a regular World Cup Finals participant, as are more asian and african countries.

So I understand why Blatter has the support, he has earned it to a certain extent. What he has failed at is ensuring his supporters are clean. He hasn't stamped down on corruption. He's probaby corrupt as well. That FIFA is mire in corruption under his watch is why he needs to go down.

But understanding how he got voted in again really isn't that hard and it's not necessarily corruption.

Yes. Blatter is smart and has done a lot to support football in the developing countries - hence his widespread support from Africa and Asia. Europe hates him but is happy to take his money.

The corruption occurs less at this election of president and more around the "business as usual" of TV deals, tournaments etc etc. Then it's corrupt as all hell, and I have no doubt that Blatter is as corrupt as anyone and has tolerated it all under his watch.

It's not as simple as "Europe good, Blatter bad".

Although he is bad. Very bad.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Looks like Blabber's finally stepping down with enough time to find another bad egg.....we hope not.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
today is a great day for football... although Baloo's post above has some excellent points (some good and bad for blatter)

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yes good he's exiting. Is he just a head of the hydra though?
Seems to me that FIFA and corruption go hand in hand.
Long way to go to stamp it out but at least this is a positive move.