Books and good reads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Books and good reads [Merged]

I am not sure if there are any fans of "The Wheel Of Time" series.

I just read book 14, the Final book in the series, A long time coming.

For those who don't know Robert Jordan was the original Authour, but died mid series, I think after book 11.

Sanderson another author took over with the help from Jordans wife. I reckon they struggled to finish it, it was one of the most complex plots and also had more characters then you can imagine (even more then the "Game of Thrones". Due to this I reckon it was a huge struggle for them to finish the series.

ANyway Finished book 14, and was very dissapointed in it. It had some good parts to it, but the ending just didn't feel right in the end, seemed like it was crash bang I need to finish this right now.

Its sad that such a great series couldn't be finished by the Author who had the vision and plot in mind.

Now just to wait for Next book in "A song of Ice and Fire" (Game of Thrones) series to come out.

I lost interest just prior to the number of books in the series hitting double figures. I really liked the first couple of novels, but for mine Jordan never recaptured their charm.

burial rites by hannah kent is an amazing first novel. i savoured every word. i didn't want to put it down and i didn't want it to end. a dark, haunting story so beautifully told.

Yes burial rites was just fantastic !
Best book I've read in years is. " crooked letter , crooked letter" by Tom Franklin
Re read " a short life -?ned Kelly " a masterpiece ! Fascinating and the best book on Ned Kelly!
About to start Kate Greville last novel - possibly my favorite ever Australian writer

i'm half way through and the mountains echoed by khaled hosseini. a bit disappointed with it just for the fact i loved his first two books and was hanging out for this one but it's not quite as good.

arlobill said:
About to start Kate Greville last novel - possibly my favorite ever Australian writer

haven't read any of hers. will look some out.

Oh yes ! The kite runner was superb ! Though I havent read he second one yet " a thousand splendid suns"

Books

Paul Barry Journalist, author and host of media watch has written a book on Rupert Murdoch, it is released tomorrow.
Murdoch wont be very happy as i'm sure it will be a warts and all book.
He has written books on Kerry Packer and Alan Bond and this latest one is a must read for me.

U2Tigers said:
I am not sure if there are any fans of "The Wheel Of Time" series.

I just read book 14, the Final book in the series, A long time coming.

For those who don't know Robert Jordan was the original Authour, but died mid series, I think after book 11.

Sanderson another author took over with the help from Jordans wife. I reckon they struggled to finish it, it was one of the most complex plots and also had more characters then you can imagine (even more then the "Game of Thrones". Due to this I reckon it was a huge struggle for them to finish the series.

ANyway Finished book 14, and was very dissapointed in it. It had some good parts to it, but the ending just didn't feel right in the end, seemed like it was crash bang I need to finish this right now.

Its sad that such a great series couldn't be finished by the Author who had the vision and plot in mind.

Now just to wait for Next book in "A song of Ice and Fire" (Game of Thrones) series to come out.

Sanderson is actually a pretty good writer, try "A way of Kings"

Think I'll be dead & buried before "A song of Ice and Fire" is finished! Why is it so hard for the Martins of this world to put pen to paper!

Just finished "Ilium" by Dan Simmons & about to start the sequel "Olympos".

To summarise:

The Greek Gods & Homer's Illiad meet post-humanity, sentient space robots descended from humans throw in Shakespeare, Mars & even little green men!

Sounds weird but is brilliantly written & totally absorbing!

This Is Anfield said:
There is a new Rebus book out - happy days :clap

TIA

Try some Aussie Crime, Garry Disher has a new one. Bitter Wash Road
Its about a whistle blower cop that gets moved sideways to the bush.
Full of lovely Aussie small town stuff like utes, milk bars, dodgy commodores, footy, oh and lots of iffy cops

I will investigate the new Rebus, big fan.

Michael said:
TIA

Try some Aussie Crime, Garry Disher has a new one. Bitter Wash Road
Its about a whistle blower cop that gets moved sideways to the bush.
Full of lovely Aussie small town stuff like utes, milk bars, dodgy commodores, footy, oh and lots of iffy cops

I will investigate the new Rebus, big fan.

Cheers Michael,

Actually read a Disher book years ago & remember enjoying it (buggered if I can recall what it was about though). Think it was set in WA with corrupt pollies.

Love Peter Temple's Jack Irish books & Shane Maloney's Murray Whelan books as well.
J.R.Carroll is another Aussie crime writer who goes ok.

Getting back into reading big time these days - beats crap TV any day. :)