Books and good reads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Books and good reads [Merged]

This Is Anfield said:
Cheers Michael,

Actually read a Disher book years ago & remember enjoying it (buggered if I can recall what it was about though). Think it was set in WA with corrupt pollies.

Love Peter Temple's Jack Irish books & Shane Maloney's Murray Whelan books as well.
J.R.Carroll is another Aussie crime writer who goes ok.

Getting back into reading big time these days - beats crap TV any day. :)

I like the Shane Maloney books too TIA, although I was a bit disappointed with Something Fishy. Denham is a perfect Murray Whelan I reckon.

I'll have to check out Jack Irish and Disher if they're in a similar vein. I missed the Irish tv serial. Did you see it?

Azza said:
I like the Shane Maloney books too TIA, although I was a bit disappointed with Something Fishy. Denham is a perfect Murray Whelan I reckon.

I'll have to check out Jack Irish and Disher if they're in a similar vein. I missed the Irish tv serial. Did you see it?

Yep, Guy Pierce was perfect for the part as well.
Irish is a lawyer & fix it man - set in Melbourne with racing, footy & pubs! Really good reads.

Murray Whelan's a good labour man for you as well Azza. ;D
One of my wife's good friends worked on the production - said Denham is a really good bloke.

This Is Anfield said:
Yep, Guy Pierce was perfect for the part as well.
Irish is a lawyer & fix it man - set in Melbourne with racing, footy & pubs! Really good reads.

They are good reads, different from Murray Whelan though. If you haven't read it read the Broken Shore by Temple, its his best book IMHO.

IanG said:
They are good reads, different from Murray Whelan though. If you haven't read it read the Broken Shore by Temple, its his best book IMHO.

Yeah Ian I've read it - excellent.
Do like Jack Irish though - the parts were he's in the bar with the old Fitzroy blokes is great Australian writing.

Almost time for a re-read I think. :)

Ok, I'm convinced on giving Temple a go.

At the moment I'm tied-up in Alan Furst's Night Soldier series. Interconnected books based around the lead-up to and duration of WW2. Mainly espionage stuff, set in eastern Europe and France. He seems to really know his stuff. I got onto him because someone recommended him to fans of Patrick O'Brian, who I really like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Furst

Furst can be quite heavy going at times though, so a Jack Irish book may be a good lighter alternative.

Azza said:
Ok, I'm convinced on giving Temple a go.

At the moment I'm tied-up in Alan Furst's Night Soldier series. Interconnected books based around the lead-up to and duration of WW2. Mainly espionage stuff, set in eastern Europe and France. He seems to really know his stuff. I got onto him because someone recommended him to fans of Patrick O'Brian, who I really like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Furst

Furst can be quite heavy going at times though, so a Jack Irish book may be a good lighter alternative.

I'll check him out. Always good to lighten up after a more intense read, was always the same after reading James Michener & Leon Uris. Great writers but detailed.

Anyone out there into Carl Hiassen or Christopher Brookmyre? Great storytelling & laugh out loud at times.

This Is Anfield said:
I'll check him out. Always good to lighten up after a more intense read, was always the same after reading James Michener & Leon Uris. Great writers but detailed.

Yeah, Uris is dense alright. I started to find him a bit preachy and gave up on him. I haven't looked at Michener for years.

This Is Anfield said:
Anyone out there into Carl Hiassen or Christopher Brookmyre? Great storytelling & laugh out loud at times.

Never heard of them. What do they write about?

Are you into Sci Fi TIA? Ever get into the late Iain M Banks?

After finishing the complete works of Jane Austen, I'm now reading Douglas Adams' Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Haven't read this since I was in high school.

mld said:
After finishing the complete works of Jane Austen, I'm now reading Douglas Adams' Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Haven't read this since I was in high school.

Good to see another Austen fan mld.

Douglas Adams is a ripper. A great loss.

Azza said:
Never heard of them. What do they write about?

Are you into Sci Fi TIA? Ever get into the late Iain M Banks?

Hiassen is right up your alley Azza - writes about the little man against the developers down in Florida, outrageous characters and the ex-governor of Florida who hides out in the everglades is one of my favourite fictional characters.

Brookmyre is Scottish and writes character driven books which are diverse in plots etc - one set in Scotland starts with a murder then flashbacks to all the characters as they go from year one of primary school to graduation to tie it all up at the end.
One also set in Scotland involves a group of older schoolkids on a retreat & a secret US base who are experimenting with inter dimensional travel! When the two meet so many WTF moments. It's called "Pandeamonium".

Been into Scifi for ever - don't like then too technical or scientific so Banks hasn't grabbed me yet. Loved Heinlen & E.E.Doc Smith as a young man.
Neil Asher is my current favourite.

This Is Anfield said:
Hiassen is right up your alley Azza - writes about the little man against the developers down in Florida, outrageous characters and the ex-governor of Florida who hides out in the everglades is one of my favourite fictional characters.

Brookmyre is Scottish and writes character driven books which are diverse in plots etc - one set in Scotland starts with a murder then flashbacks to all the characters as they go from year one of primary school to graduation to tie it all up at the end.
One also set in Scotland involves a group of older schoolkids on a retreat & a secret US base who are experimenting with inter dimensional travel! When the two meet so many WTF moments. It's called "Pandeamonium".

Been into Scifi for ever - don't like then too technical or scientific so Banks hasn't grabbed me yet. Loved Heinlen & E.E.Doc Smith as a young man.
Neil Asher is my current favourite.

I particularly like the sound of Pandeamonium TIA. I used to like Heinlein as a kid too. Never got into E.E Doc Smith.

I wouldn't class Banks as all that technical. Maybe you hit a particularly dense one to start with? My favourite is probably feersum endjinn - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feersum_Endjinn I have most of his books as ebooks, including pdfs if you're interested.

I hadn't heard of Neil Asher. Just looked him up. Another one to add to the list!

Azza said:
I particularly like the sound of Pandeamonium TIA. I used to like Heinlein as a kid too. Never got into E.E Doc Smith.

I wouldn't class Banks as all that technical. Maybe you hit a particularly dense one to start with? My favourite is probably feersum endjinn - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feersum_Endjinn I have most of his books as ebooks, including pdfs if you're interested.

I hadn't heard of Neil Asher. Just looked him up. Another one to add to the list!

Quite often I go back to books if I don't get into them first time. I'm going to the library tonight so I may check out some Banks.
With Asher try the Cormac books first & a small one called Prador Moon, the Prador ain't nice believe me!
Just finished a book called "Age of Scorpio" by Gavin Smith - Scifi & very different.
I've ordered an earlier one of his through booko.

Peter F Hamilton is another one to check out.

Cheers on the pdf's but I've got to have an actual book when I'm reading - old fashioned I know! :)

This Is Anfield said:
Hey Azza,

Just got Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks from the library - will give it a go & let you know.

Is this the first culture novel?

Cheers,

TIA

You're really overloading me now!

Yeah, it is the first Culture novel. I think it must have been the first I read, because I couldn't remember the story at all. Had to look it up. Might be time for a re-read. I hope you enjoy it.

I've found I have The Technician by Asher - is it any good?

Azza said:
You're really overloading me now!

Yeah, it is the first Culture novel. I think it must have been the first I read, because I couldn't remember the story at all. Had to look it up. Might be time for a re-read. I hope you enjoy it.

I've found I have The Technician by Asher - is it any good?

It is - I've read it twice, it's a later one & probably not as easy a read as some others but the War Drone Amistad is a great creation.
It's a Polity novel which stands alone but has ties to others in the series.

If it's really any good is for the individual reader to determine - I also hope you enjoy it. ;D

This Is Anfield said:
If it's really any good is for the individual reader to determine - I also hope you enjoy it. ;D

I know what you mean. It's hard to be sure how different people will take books.

Here's one for you - what's the sci fi book that's really stuck in your memory?

I reckon mine is Haldeman's Forever War. The way the lead character got disconnected from society made a big impact. A really good metaphor for the Vietnam War vets.

Azza said:
I know what you mean. It's hard to be sure how different people will take books.

Here's one for you - what's the sci fi book that's really stuck in your memory?

I reckon mine is Haldeman's Forever War. The way the lead character got disconnected from society made a big impact. A really good metaphor for the Vietnam War vets.

Has to be Dune - first read it so many years ago & it just blew me away.

I haven't read a broad range of science fiction novels, but I'd probably say the ones that have really stuck in my mind have been Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and Isaac Asimov's Foundation.