Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I commented on this very contest my brain almost exploded.

He should've hit that contest to either assist Dave win it or kill it and cause a stop in play.

He did neither he shirked it and handed the Saints a goal.

His *smile* poor efforts are costly. His weak tackle efforts and lack of physical pressure do my head in. They outweigh his elite running now, if everyone is available he doesn't get a spot IMO. We cannot have he, Houli & Short in the same vicinity.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Ellis is alot like Houli. Both have really great strengths but that one weakness - they panic under pressure almost like a fainting goat. It doesn't look good and I would wager these moments of panic stick in alot of punters memories rather than the good stuff they do.

Reactions: 1 users

agincourt

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 4, 2004
His **** poor efforts are costly. His weak tackle efforts and lack of physical pressure do my head in. They outweigh his elite running now, if everyone is available he doesn't get a spot IMO. We cannot have he, Houli & Short in the same vicinity.
What "elite running"???

He jogs around in space.....never actually tries to catch a player on the burst.....invariably gets to the contest late (or not at all)......and then points at his team mates as though it's their fault he couldn't do his *smile* job! He has ONE gear. Slow.

This "elite runner" garbage is just that. Garbage.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Ellis is alot like Houli. Both have really great strengths but that one weakness - they panic under pressure almost like a fainting goat. It doesn't look good and I would wager these moments of panic stick in alot of punters memories rather than the good stuff they do.
Yeah plus little hurt factor with ball. Not a great combo!

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
"Panic under pressure like a fainting goat" awesome Jase, can't say I have heard that one before.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Brando still my number one whipping boy. He has some really poor basic flaws in his game. Positioning in contests is a major flaw in his game. One as an example is when taking the ball facing away from goal he inevitably turns back into traffic rather than toward the boundary as junior players are taught. Drives me insane. That is my number one issue with him but believe me there are plenty more.
I don’t like to denigrate any of our players. I just wish he would work on these basic flaws.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If I was running the club.
I would pray he got an offer (north or stkikda) so I would PRETEND to match it, so we could end up with a better compo pick.
But just thinking about him playing in 2020 for us... I wouldn’t do it. Straight seeya

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Agree with most of the sentiments above. One thing he has massively fixed at least so far this year is his finishing. He is taking almost every shot at goal chance he gets. I used to feel the same way about him as I do about Houli and Cotchin for converting goal scoring opportunities but he has started to change my mind.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
What "elite running"???

He jogs around in space.....never actually tries to catch a player on the burst.....invariably gets to the contest late (or not at all)......and then points at his team mates as though it's their fault he couldn't do his ******* job! He has ONE gear. Slow.

He is an elite athlete and elite runner. he just doesn't know how to use that to his advanatage on the footy field. and i don't think he ever will. at 26 next month, I think he has reached the limits of his capabilities.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
What "elite running"???

He jogs around in space.....never actually tries to catch a player on the burst.....invariably gets to the contest late (or not at all)......and then points at his team mates as though it's their fault he couldn't do his ******* job! He has ONE gear. Slow.

Elite running is not about speed it's about endurance and he has it in spades. It's the only reason he gets a game. It's why he can sneak forward and get a goal, he outruns guys.

It's his lack of physical impact that *smile*'s me, and his complete lack of composure under physical pressure.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It's why he can sneak forward and get a goal, he outruns guys.

Gee I'd argue this. Has kicked 6 goals this year. Before that goals 3, 5, 7, 8. 2013 is probably the only year you could say he's kicked a passable number of goals and that was 14. Admittedly some of those years he's been tried more back than a wingman but he's certainly no goal sneak because of his running ability. He hardly gets any.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Gee I'd argue this. Has kicked 6 goals this year. Before that goals 3, 5, 7, 8. 2013 is probably the only year you could say he's kicked a passable number of goals and that was 14. Admittedly some of those years he's been tried more back than a wingman but he's certainly no goal sneak because of his running ability. He hardly gets any.

Name me how many half-back flankers/wingers that have kicked more goals this year? For a dedicated stats man you're off the money here. Only Jarman Impey, Suckling Whitfield & Stacky have more goals as defenders/wingers. He's kicked the same amount of goals as Sidebottom, and Sidebottom plays higher up the ground IMO. He's kicked more goals than Isaac Smith. The same amount as Elliot Yeo. And we are not a high scoring team.

I think the only reason he gets goals is his elite running capacity.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If Brando walks at the end of the year and gets a four year deal from another club for good money I’m fine with that. If we get a first round compo pick for a bloke that has given us 170 odd games from Pick 15, it’s a win/win. We can take a flyer on a Luke Jackson and go get another mid with our other pick. Gives great flexibility and putting another first round pick into our current recruiting teams hands is no longer fraught with danger, it’s the complete opposite.

If he stays on reduced money that is less than he could get on the open market I’m fine with that too. Ellis has been a solid core footballer who is flawed, I’ve accepted the good with the bad.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Name me how many half-back flankers/wingers that have kicked more goals this year? For a dedicated stats man you're off the money here. Only Jarman Impey, Suckling Whitfield & Stacky have more goals as defenders/wingers. He's kicked the same amount of goals as Sidebottom, and Sidebottom plays higher up the ground IMO. He's kicked more goals than Isaac Smith. The same amount as Elliot Yeo. And we are not a high scoring team.

II wasn't really trying to compare players, I just don't think 0.5 goals a match or 0.6 scoring shots a match or just seven scoring shots at goal this season is an indication that his gut running ability is giving him some sort of advantage in front of goal over others as a wingman - acknowledging he has been playing more of a defensive wingman role. It's pretty average. Jayden Short has 0.5 goals a match and 0.7 scoring shots. Last year he had 0.4/0.3 and he's been playing as a true backman. Guys like Phillips, Langdon, Smith, Whitfield have quite similar rebound 50 averages but have more scoring shots (3 by almost double) than Ellis (Phillips 1.1, Langdon 0.7, Smith 1.1, Whitfield 1.1).

I'm not saying Ellis isn't a great runner, he is, and most definitely that will help him sometimes get free forward bu there's nothing extraordinary about his scoring opportunity quantities.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
"Panic under pressure like a fainting goat" awesome Jase, can't say I have heard that one before.

Just imagine some tiger sashes on these jb :D

prwOMAt.gif

• Haha

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
There is not actually a good match-up to replace Bellis as a defensive winger/utility. Graham and Ross are inside, Baker is nothing like him and Higgins isn't much of a match either. Menadue does play the role, just not well and Naish is nowhere near ready yet for all his good signs. I am resigned to thinking that it is up to Pickett to come good and squeeze Bellis out - and that is a long shot at best.

By the way the defensive effort discussed earlier. I had to post "Observer" for Bellis after that it just pissed me off so much seeing Bellis and the ball and two opposition players all in a close-in camera shot and then watch as St Kilda out number us to the ball and take it away while Bellis plays statues presumably waiting for the Richmond player to hand pass it out. Mystifying to be honest at AFL level. My 12 year old is not a great footballer and it is something I am trying to cure him of.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Pickett could be an option, but agree that no one else is a suitable replacement.
none of Markov, Menadue, Naish (yet) have performed to the level. Both Naish and Bolton are far too easily outbodied to consistently make a contest.

All footballers have to make quick decisions about whether to go in or provide an outlet. Its easier for the likes of Dusty (always go) and Short (never go).
For the rest of AFL players there will be times when they make the wrong call and look stupid or worse.
Last week there were many instances of mix-ups and stuffed link-ups, and missed handballs. There was a disconnect, which is what Dimma talked about when bringing in 7 players to the team.

Ellis is serviceable player in a great team.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019

Can’t include Stack in that group.
He cheats by scoring from outside 50m.