Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

Re: Welcome Brandon Ellis

matt hornsby said brandon is very strong as well as very fit for a new recruit

Lennox Street said:
One thing they tell the young kids is that if they want to get better they should identify the best trainers at the club, and try their best to keep up. Judd still talks about trying to keep up with Cousins as being huge in his development. My guess is that Ellis and Arnot have tried to sit on Houli or White or Edwards and let themselves be paced to the finish. Good sign if true, suggests a professional approach.

It is interesting how heavily 1st and 2nd year players feature in the list, suggest an emphasis on that professionalism in our recruiting

If I put on my rarely used darksider hat for a moment- the other side to this is how the hell are 3rd, 4th and 5th year vets being pantsed by kids who have been in the system 2 months?

Col.W.Kurtz said:
If I put on my rarely used darksider hat for a moment- the other side to this is how the hell are 3rd, 4th and 5th year vets being pantsed by kids who have been in the system 2 months?

Dark sider hat - wasn't there a question about his pace off the mark? Running a good tan time is one thing, but it is the sprints he should be focusing on.

What is Ellis paying for the Rising Star?

Might be worth a pineapple.

mld said:
Dark sider hat - wasn't there a question about his pace off the mark? Running a good tan time is one thing, but it is the sprints he should be focusing on.

I hear you, I know Lennox St posted an interesting analysis of Ellis 20 meter time a little while back.

With a few exceptions (Foley is one) most players rarely make big improvements in sprint speed over time, but they can make significant improvements in their fitness.

Posting a good, or improved, time on an endurance event is not a bad overall barometer of how hard a player is working.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Just because a kid can run 3. something kliks in a big hurry doesn't mean he's a walk up start for game one. Nearly irrelevant how fast a player can run around a big paddock.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
It is interesting how heavily 1st and 2nd year players feature in the list, suggest an emphasis on that professionalism in our recruiting

It's more common than you might think. Recent draftees tend to carry less muscle and therefore less weight than seasoned players. This is a huge advantage when it comes to long distance running but they get found out very quickly when there is body contact involved.

I wouldn't worry about tan time trials though. The best footballers rarely post the best times.

TigerFurious said:
It's more common than you might think. Recent draftees tend to carry less muscle and therefore less weight than seasoned players. This is a huge advantage when it comes to long distance running but they get found out very quickly when there is body contact involved.

I wouldn't worry about tan time trials though. The best footballers rarely post the best times.

Ellis is the same weight as Webberly and Edwards, he shouldn't be beating the.

On the positive side, not only did he come second, he was right behind Houli

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Ellis is the same weight as Webberly and Edwards, he shouldn't be beating the.
Why? He may just be a naturally better runner over that distance.

We need to put the run around the tan in context. Its more about improvement of endurance and PB's. Craig Mottram holds the tan record I think which is around 10 minutes , Houli ran 13.09 . Doesn't make Mottram a better footballer than our guys. ;D

Nice to see the kids impacting on the track but like others i dont get excited by Tan time trials.

One only has to look at 3 of the most consistant Tan smashers over the past ten years to understand it really means nothing.

Matt White, Chris Hyde and Greg Tivendale .................... nuff said there really to put it in perspective.

craig said:
Nice to see the kids impacting on the track but like others i dont get excited by Tan time trials.

One only has to look at 3 of the most consistant Tan smashers over the past ten years to understand it really means nothing.

Matt White, Chris Hyde and Greg Tivendale .................... nuff said there really to put it in perspective.
Craig , you are a bastard !!

It's still a good sign that these kids can come into their first pre-season and aerobically then can match it with AFL seasoned players.

Yes footballing ability is what they will need to have, but you can't deny that its a promising sign.

craig said:

Richo also used to run the tan extremely well, and translated that on field.

You can take it for what it is, a little indicator among many other of a footballers athletic ability and a interesting piece of news to keep us going through the off-season.

Is it just me or does brandon ellis' player profile photo on the tiger website make him look like nick riewoldt.

Please tell me im seeing things.

craig said:

That perspective being that even fairly ordinary footballers can have pretty long careers at the top level if they can at least get fit enough to compete? That talent is great, but it only takes you so far and that the guys willing to bust a gut in January and more likely to be in the team in July than those with talent who can't raise a jog?