Brendon Gale | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brendon Gale

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
2,580
376
melbourne
Ridley said:
No argument about the role of a CEO; don't think I ever suggested he should be cleaning boots. However, it is reasonable to question his lack of high level managerial experience in an business environment. He seems to have done a good job at the AFLPA so maybe he has the nous and acumen required.

Personally I'd be a lot more impressed if it was Brian Cook we appointed. Again, would there be such excitement if he wasn't an ex RFC player? Good luck to him anyway. Hopefully he can keep us moving forward off the field and turn us around from the on field rabble we have been for years.

you've probably overlooked his credentials ridley, honours in law and another major...immediatley worked for commercial law firm after retiring from footy then joined AFLPA where he has been highly regarded....errr, ummm andy demiriou trod a similar path and took on a little gig like CEO of the AFL...he'll go alright, but as they say , manager is only as good as people around him
 

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
6,233
0
A quick google brought the following:

Brendon Gale’s Experience

Chief Executive Officer
Australian Football League Players Association
(Sports industry)

January 2005 — Present (4 years 8 months)

General Manager - Operations
Australian Football League Players Association
(Sports industry)

July 2004 — December 2004 (6 months)

Solicitor
Mallesons Stephen Jaques
(Partnership; Law Practice industry)

2002 — June 2004 (2 years)

Professional Footballer
Richmond Football Club (AFL)
(Sports industry)

1990 — 2001 (11 years)

Account Manager
Multimedia Asia Pacific
(Information Technology and Services industry)

1994 — 1995 (1 year)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brendon Gale’s Education

Harvard Business School
Advanced Management Program , 2009 — 2009

Monash University
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) , 1996 — 2000

Monash University
Master of Arts (M.A) , Asian Studies , 1994 — 1995

University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Arts (B.A) , Economic History and Political Science , 1990 — 1992
 

Kahuna

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2008
348
0
Perth
Excellent work by RFC to secure the talents of Ben Gale. Have watched him being interviewed a few times on TV and he is certainly impressive - pragmatic & strategic in his thinking. His knowledge from leading the AFLPA should benefit the club greatly over the coming years.
 

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
2,580
376
melbourne
Freezer said:
A quick google brought the following:

Brendon Gale’s Experience

Chief Executive Officer
Australian Football League Players Association
(Sports industry)

January 2005 — Present (4 years 8 months)

General Manager - Operations
Australian Football League Players Association
(Sports industry)

July 2004 — December 2004 (6 months)

Solicitor
Mallesons Stephen Jaques
(Partnership; Law Practice industry)

2002 — June 2004 (2 years)

Professional Footballer
Richmond Football Club (AFL)
(Sports industry)

1990 — 2001 (11 years)

Account Manager
Multimedia Asia Pacific
(Information Technology and Services industry)

1994 — 1995 (1 year)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brendon Gale’s Education

Harvard Business School
Advanced Management Program , 2009 — 2009

Monash University
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) , 1996 — 2000

Monash University
Master of Arts (M.A) , Asian Studies , 1994 — 1995

University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Arts (B.A) , Economic History and Political Science , 1990 — 1992
thx freezer, indeed they were the credentials I was referring to :clap
 

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
12,894
5,923
BillyJean17 said:
you've probably overlooked his credentials ridley, honours in law and another major...immediatley worked for commercial law firm after retiring from footy then joined AFLPA where he has been highly regarded....errr, ummm andy demiriou trod a similar path and took on a little gig like CEO of the AFL...he'll go alright, but as they say , manager is only as good as people around him

Yeah I wasn't sure about what he did before the AFLPA. I figured it was with a law firm. No doubt he's pretty capable but he could be considered reasonably inexperienced for the CEO role. If he can surround himself with top people that will help his cause. I'm just not convinced there's a whole lot at RFC.

Don't start me on Demetriou....................
 

murraycray

Tiger Cub
May 22, 2009
26
0
Probably the best appointment you guys have made in the last decade.
He'll make the hard but necessary decisions. A good get.
 

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
293
0
Upper Yarra Valley
Hopefully an excellent appointment. I hope he still isn't one kick behind the play. He used to drive Collingwood supporters mad. I loved that about him!
 

NZ Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Apr 19, 2009
299
0
BillyJean17 said:
you've probably overlooked his credentials ridley, honours in law and another major...immediatley worked for commercial law firm after retiring from footy then joined AFLPA where he has been highly regarded....errr, ummm andy demiriou trod a similar path and took on a little gig like CEO of the AFL...he'll go alright, but as they say , manager is only as good as people around him

I agree with Ridley. Benny has some good credentials and I will give him my full support at the Richmond Football Club. However for a CEO, he doesnt have a great deal of management experience and has basically spent 2 years working for a law firm and then the last 5 years for the AFL Players Association which I assume is a relatively small organisation with only a handful of employees.

It should be noted that before Demetriou assumed his role at the AFL Players Association, he had business experience in the Corporate World (a company that produced teeth (and experienced financial difficulties)) and that before he progressed to CEO of the AFL he held down for a number of years the role currently occupied by Adrian Andersen - think it is called the GM of football operations.

I am not syaing that Benny cant be or wont be a good CEO, just noting that he will be on a steep learning curve particularly early on.
 

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
4,102
147
I preface this by saying that I think this appointment is a good one and I hope he can continue Wright's great manaement of the club. I agree with Ridley et al, though, that his managerial experience is a little on the light side. He is obviously an intelligent man and I'm sure that his education and intellect will more than cover it. I also know that if he was a 200+ game player from the scum, most of us wouldn't be as happy with the appointment.
 

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
11,601
1
Melbourne
I think you guys are underestimating what the AFLPA do:

1) they are the spearhead of the players negotiation with the AFL for collective bargaining
2) they are the main lobby group for free agency with the AFL
3) they have set up and maintain a players superannuation fund that supports past players financially and medically
4) they provide education and training pathways for players
5) they provide charitable works
6) they provide grants, psychological services, and indigenous support services
7) they have been the main lobby group negotiating player rights over ownership rights for their image
 

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
1,228
0
I agree, Benny have been involved in negotiating collective bargaining agreements worth hundreds of millions of dollars (total AFL player payments are $120 million this year alone). I'd say that's pretty good experience. He is also well connected and well-regarded across the football industry, and has credibility from having played the game. We have done well here
 

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
67,539
8,907
www.redbubble.com
murraycray said:
Probably the best appointment you guys have made in the last decade.
He'll make the hard but necessary decisions. A good get.

Yep well done Gary March for pulling this off.
Gale's relationship with Dimi can only benefit us.
 

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
3,743
222
NZ Tiger said:
I agree with Ridley. Benny has some good credentials and I will give him my full support at the Richmond Football Club. However for a CEO, he doesnt have a great deal of management experience and has basically spent 2 years working for a law firm and then the last 5 years for the AFL Players Association which I assume is a relatively small organisation with only a handful of employees.

It should be noted that before Demetriou assumed his role at the AFL Players Association, he had business experience in the Corporate World (a company that produced teeth (and experienced financial difficulties)) and that before he progressed to CEO of the AFL he held down for a number of years the role currently occupied by Adrian Andersen - think it is called the GM of football operations.

I am not syaing that Benny cant be or wont be a good CEO, just noting that he will be on a steep learning curve particularly early on.

This is not an issue - the club have kept Wright on as a consultant and he will help in all areas while needed.
 

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
54,347
7
tigertime2 said:
This is not an issue - the club have kept Wright on as a consultant and he will help in all areas while needed.

I had an e-mail from Stephen and he said he'd be retaining an active consultancy role with the club focusing on the redevelopment and Indigenous programs, as also indicated in the club press release. Although he singled out those 2 areas I imagine he'd be available if Benny needed advice. I hope so. I love the fact that both Steven and Benny are Tigers at heart.
 

walhalla tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 16, 2007
587
0
NZ Tiger said:
I agree with Ridley. Benny has some good credentials and I will give him my full support at the Richmond Football Club. However for a CEO, he doesnt have a great deal of management experience and has basically spent 2 years working for a law firm and then the last 5 years for the AFL Players Association which I assume is a relatively small organisation with only a handful of employees.

It should be noted that before Demetriou assumed his role at the AFL Players Association, he had business experience in the Corporate World (a company that produced teeth (and experienced financial difficulties)) and that before he progressed to CEO of the AFL he held down for a number of years the role currently occupied by Adrian Andersen - think it is called the GM of football operations.

I am not syaing that Benny cant be or wont be a good CEO, just noting that he will be on a steep learning curve particularly early on.

he at least has raw qualities such as seeing throught the fakes that have screwed our club up. there will be no where to hide, and no cracks open for them to get in. go get em benny
 

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
29,875
7,653
Melbourne
The_General said:
No, I asked him that question personally yesterday. He was offered the job 2 weeks ago. Knocked it back because he wants to return to school and get away from footy for a while.

Change of plans in the past fortnight. A couple of weeks ago he said he wanted to play on, be it at Richmond or a lower level.
 

burgin27strang28

Tiger Cub
Mar 17, 2008
53
0
walhalla tiger said:
he at least has raw qualities such as seeing throught the fakes that have screwed our club up. there will be no where to hide, and no cracks open for them to get in. go get em benny

Good post.

Hope Steve's health issues resolve and great to see he will still be involved. And what a great job he has done. And now welcome back to the RFC, Benny. If Benny stands his ground in his role as CEO (like he stood his ground backing back into our defense taking saving marks), he will be great value for this club. He is a true tiger and should carry on the great work done by Steve.
 

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
3,466
15
The upside of getting this ex Tiger player is he has the credibility behind him he doesn't appear to be a symbolic gesture.
 

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
20,094
1,229
Melbourne
brigadiertiger said:
The upside of getting this ex Tiger player is he has the credibility behind him he doesn't appear to be a symbolic gesture.

another ex-tiger back at tigerland... the 3rd in 12 months? (free and campbell as well) who's next on the hitlist? duncan kellaway maybe?
 

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
38,350
7,812
I don't see Benny as an ex-Tiger returning. Benny is an impressive administrator and one destined to run the AFL at some point. The fact we managed to poach him from the ASLPA to be our CEO is a major coup for us. The fact he used to play for us, supports the club and yellow and black running through his veins is a nice bonus.