Brown irreplaceable | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brown irreplaceable

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
Brown irreplaceable

By Robert Walls
June 4, 2005

I felt for Richmond coach Terry Wallace when his very best player, Nathan Brown, was injured so badly last week. It would have ripped the guts out of Wallace to see his mate go down like that.

Coaches develop great affection for their players. And the more committed, professional and classier the player, the deeper the bond, as usually the coach and player have put a lot of time in together to develop the aforementioned qualities.

When I coached at Carlton, a teenaged Mil Hanna wrecked his knee on debut in the opening game of the 1986 season at Waverley Park. He required a knee reconstruction and did not play again for 12 months. Seeing the strain it put on Mil and his family cut deep.

The next year, Peter Motley was involved in a near fatal car accident. "Mots" never played again. It shook the club to its foundations, but there was a mighty resolve amongst the players to win the '87 flag for Mots, which they did.

In the Brisbane Bears' days in the early 1990s, two of my veterans were Roger Merrett and Michael McLean. They were my inspiration. Week in, week out, they would take the field under difficulty. Often they would be injected in ankles, shoulders and hands to help them get through games. Many a time we would fly back to Brisbane after copping a thumping in Melbourne. They would be exhausted, ashen-faced and struggling to walk off the plane. As a coach, you loved them for giving as they did, and you hurt when they hurt. Even though Wallace will be putting on a brave face, a big part of him will be grieving.

When Brown went down, I felt sick. The replay that showed the broken leg bending in grotesque fashion finished me for the night. I immediately turned the television off. Some viewers ended up in hospital themselves as they fainted, fell and concussed themselves after viewing the incident.

There was none of that trauma a month ago when the Western Bulldogs' skipper, Luke Darcy, tore his anterior cruciate to put him out for the season. Darcy looked like he merely slipped. Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade quickly got on the front foot to insist that all sections of the club not get "the sads" over Darcy's departure from the playing field. Since then, the Dogs have won two and lost two. They rallied in the short term, but deep down, Eade knows that Darcy's loss will cost games.

As much as Wallace tries to stay positive to his players, he knows Brown is simply irreplaceable. On form, the vice-captain was heading for an 80-goal, club best-and-fairest and All-Australian selection season.

He is his team's smartest and classiest player. He is a matchwinner - as he proved against Collingwood and the Brisbane Lions in rounds eight and nine. And because he is a matchwinner on-field and a character with his own flair, style and opinions off it, players warm to him. He gives them confidence, makes them feel good. Teammates want to earn his respect, want to be in his company. They hope a bit of his magic will rub off on them.

Richmond has done extremely well to be 7-3. But from now on, it will get tough. Brown's loss is obvious; he was the leading goalkicker, averaging 3.5 goals a game. He was the No. 1 goal-assist player as his brain and skills set up opportunities for teammates. He was the leading kick-getter, and at stop plays in the front half, it was Brown who directed traffic.

With Brown in full flight, the pressure was taken off Matthew Richardson. Now Richo will be the targeted player in the Tiger forward line. How will he cope? Brown had a calming effect on Richo. That's now gone.

Having watched Richo train at Punt Road yesterday morning, there is further reason to doubt his capabilities of stepping into the breach. He appears to be carrying a knee injury, and with his last marking attempt landed awkwardly and immediately left the track. The two West Coast selectors sitting in front of me had wry smiles on their faces as the big fella disappeared down the race.

A Wallace ploy was to vacate the forward-50 space for Brown alone. It put real pressure on the opposition defender who stood him. It was a bold and daring move that excited the Tiger players and fans as they were proud to have Browny as the "go-to" man. There is no other Richmond medium-sized player that would have that presence.

Wallace also knows that you pay a price for winning games. The Tigers have a new-found respect. Opposition clubs will assess them closer now than they have for years. The roles of Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio, Troy Simmonds, Mark Graham, Richard Tambling and Trent Knobel will be scrutinised.

Today's opponent, West Coast, will be keen to prove that it can master the MCG. A fortnight ago, it lost there to Collingwood. Last year, it was one visit for one loss to Melbourne. In fact, since 2000, the Eagles have won only two games at the 'G.

For a club with premiership prospects, a win today is a must.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/06/03/1117568375074.html

So whats new, Walls write us off yet again. I am sure TW is made of sterner stuff and instead of grieving sees this as opportunity to meet a great challenge. I have a quote in my office,

"We are continually faced by great opportunties brilliantly disguised as insoluble solutions."

I am sure that is the type of thinking Wallace has. He knows he may have lost a great player, but in doing so he may unearth another good one that will simply make us so much better when Brownie returns next year.

I mean as unfortunate as the injury is, what an opportunity for the likes, of Petifer, Krakouer, Delidiou, Hilton and Tambling whenever he does return. This is a chance to develop and secure a prime role in what could be a top four team and be able to show your stuff when the whole footy world is watching in September. This is what careers are made off, and dare I say it even legends.

Who is gunna put their hands up fellas, cos thats opportunity I hear knocking.

Mr Walls my advice to you is go and splash that half empty glass you like to pour on the Tigers on a regular basis down your pants. You may find some excitement in your life at last.

The following quote really p!ssed me off (re:Richo). :mad: :mad:

Digglers Ghost said:
The two West Coast selectors sitting in front of me had wry smiles on their faces as the big fella disappeared down the race.

Stick it right up 'em tomorrow big fella!!! ;D

What a bunch of crap. You would think we are playing with one player! We have plenty of guys that are going well, and a few who need to lift (as does every club). With 22 guys playing, surely we can cover the loss of one. Judd has been average this year, it doesn't seem to have effected Weagles, because there are too many players on the field for the form of one to matter a great deal.
For me, the guys who can benefit from this (apart from the obvious Hilton) are Krak, Pettifer and, in my humble opinion, Morrison. Hilton, Krak and Morrison are all well on their way to exit stage left, and with a large chunk of the season remaining, one or two of these guys have the chance to save their careers, while poor play will see them on their way (Krak as trade bait, the other two will go).
They will get a chance, and if there is any ability and desire, they can lift themselves enough to help fill the breach.

I grimace as I type this but .... Collingwood is a great role model, having beaten the top two teams without their only good players.

Ouch that hurt.

Must admit I don't think we can cover the loss of Brown.Just hope some forwards can kick an extra 1 or 2.His absence will be very noticable as the season wears on.

The loss of Brown was extremely evident in us going forward in the first half. Reverted back to our go to richo everytime tactic rather than looking for a small guy on the lead.

mb64 said:
Must admit I don't think we can cover the loss of Brown.Just hope some forwards can kick an extra 1 or 2.His absence will be very noticable as the season wears on.
Very noticable today.Brown is a massive loss.

mb64 said:
mb64 said:
Negative-thinking is not good for the club.

Forget Browny and get on with the job.

We all know Brown is a big loss. Its now upto the the others that come into the side to grasp their opportunity.
Petrified Pettifer played very well today. As did Krakouer.
We lost yes but we played the game out to the very end. A big improvement from previous seasons.

TigerForce said:
mb64 said:
mb64 said:

I'm being realistic not negative.

mb64 said:
TigerForce said:
mb64 said:
mb64 said:

I didn't mean you MB, I meant if the club thinks like this all the time it'll get us nowhere.

Players can fill Browny's spot if they concentrate properly and I might as well not suggest any names.

TigerForce said:
mb64 said:
TigerForce said:
mb64 said:
mb64 said:

I didn't mean you MB, I meant if the club thinks like this all the time it'll get us nowhere.

Players can fill Browny's spot if they concentrate properly and I might as well not suggest any names.
Fair enough TF.

We all know Brown is a huge loss, we don't need Walls to tell us that, must have had trouble trying to fill space in his column.