Brussels terror attack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brussels terror attack

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
More mad Mussies blowing people up, this time in Brussels.

20-30 dead, many injured.

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
Rowville...or maybe London
Sintiger said:
Two of them won't be as they are sitting burning in hell right now wondering where their virgins are.

The first mistake we make (or rather our media makes) is to name these two suicide bombers and refer to them as terrorists.

They should be treated as nameless henchmen, pawns or maybe even 'victims'. My understanding is suicide bombers usually are impressionable, stupid misfit teenagers with a chip on their shoulder. They get groomed, seduced by BS and find themselves with an opportunity to make a name for themselves.

Surely anyone that is wired that way would LOVE to be remembered as a terrorist, rather than a stupid F*&^ that was conned into doing someone else's dirty work. Let's take away the glorification. Maybe this would stem the flow of young idiots willing to die for their own stupidity.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
martyshire said:
The first mistake we make (or rather our media makes) is to name these two suicide bombers and refer to them as terrorists.

They should be treated as nameless henchmen, pawns or maybe even 'victims'. My understanding is suicide bombers usually are impressionable, stupid misfit teenagers with a chip on their shoulder. They get groomed, seduced by BS and find themselves with an opportunity to make a name for themselves.

Surely anyone that is wired that way would LOVE to be remembered as a terrorist, rather than a stupid F*&^ that was conned into doing someone else's dirty work. Let's take away the glorification. Maybe this would stem the flow of young idiots willing to die for their own stupidity.

I'd start by looking at what the bombers and those who control them have in common.

By punishing sympathy for IS as high treason, the threat could be dramatically reduced.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
martyshire said:

Spot on marty. It's this over-sensationalised media who keep highlighting the villains.

dusty delivers

Tiger Rookie
Mar 11, 2016
TigerForce said:
Spot on marty. It's this over-sensationalised media who keep highlighting the villains.

Hard not to when the events themselves are so dramatic.

This will eventually stop. Education & female emancipation will see to it. 10-15 years.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
dusty delivers said:
This will eventually stop. Education & female emancipation will see to it. 10-15 years.

I keep hearing this line, but female emancipation... in Islam? Richmond will win a thousand flags before that happens.

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I'd start by looking at what the bombers and those who control them have in common.

By punishing sympathy for IS as high treason, the threat could be dramatically reduced.
i can't really see how. what would constitute support with a law like this?

(edit) *sympathy

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
martyshire said:
it does has already happened elsewhere https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_female_political_leaders

Fair enough, but I'm referring to Middle East/north African brands of Islam, where the trouble is.

martyshire said:
i can't really see how. what would constitute support with a law like this?

(edit) *sympathy

Voicing support is enough. Out you go. Let it become Australian haram, enshrined in law. If it's OK to throw out bikies according to some character test, it's definitely OK to throw out terrorist sympathisers.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Brussels
Paris
London
Madrid
New York

Collect the set.

lets not forget Lebanon and turkey in recent times... oh right, they're not western countries so they don't matter.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
lets not forget Lebanon and turkey in recent times... oh right, they're not western countries so they don't matter.
It's getting easier to say where Islamic terrorism HASN'T occurred than where it has.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Fair enough, but I'm referring to Middle East/north African brands of Islam, where the trouble is.

Pakistan who are very radical and also looked after Al Qaeda, have had female leaders.

Give it time

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ian4 said:

You nailed it. I listed countries with shared values - nations where this is a horror and not accepted as inevitable.

Many other cities have been affected in the last decade besides those.

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Voicing support is enough. Out you go. Let it become Australian haram, enshrined in law. If it's OK to throw out bikies according to some character test, it's definitely OK to throw out terrorist sympathisers.
If someone actively supports terrorism, for example, they are funding it or they themselves are high ranking in ISIS and are prepared to train suicide bombers and/or act as suicide bombers themselves, what makes you think the prospect of being charged with high treason would be a dis-incentive. They are fully aware that they are more likely to end up dead than captured anyway.

If you are talking more about people who turn a blind eye to dodgy activities within their community or don't report it to the authorities when they suspect their child might be about to book a flight to the middle east, I agree we need to look at what we can do to stop this, but high treason (i.e. death penalty) for something like this is unrealistic. Even run of the mill murderers get support and benefit-of-the-doubt from their families until they are proven guilty.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
martyshire said:
If someone actively supports terrorism, for example, they are funding it or they themselves are high ranking in ISIS and are prepared to train suicide bombers and/or act as suicide bombers themselves, what makes you think the prospect of being charged with high treason would be a dis-incentive. They are fully aware that they are more likely to end up dead than captured anyway.

If you are talking more about people who turn a blind eye to dodgy activities within their community or don't report it to the authorities when they suspect their child might be about to book a flight to the middle east, I agree we need to look at what we can do to stop this, but high treason (i.e. death penalty) for something like this is unrealistic. Even run of the mill murderers get support and benefit-of-the-doubt from their families until they are proven guilty.

Ship 'em out. Zero tolerance.

If support is being expressed in mosques, then shut down those meeting places.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
The World has wrestled with this problem for decades.
I can remember Munich in 1972, and earlier terror attacks in the 60's in Europe.
The one constant I see is these terror groups rely on publicity.
Every time the media reports these attacks it attracts the crackpots to the terrorists cause.
Without media exposure, these fools wouldn't know the bombings etc. were happening.
So my radical solution is for the World's Media to agree NOT to report on the incidents. It's a big ask, but it won't kill anyone by trying it.
And who knows, over time it may work.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
poppa x said:
The World has wrestled with this problem for decades.
I can remember Munich in 1972, and earlier terror attacks in the 60's in Europe.
The one constant I see is these terror groups rely on publicity.
Every time the media reports these attacks it attracts the crackpots to the terrorists cause.
Without media exposure, these fools wouldn't know the bombings etc. were happening.
So my radical solution is for the World's Media to agree NOT to report on the incidents. It's a big ask, but it won't kill anyone by trying it.
And who knows, over time it may work.
We would never know if it was working as the media wouldn't be reporting anything