Brussels terror attack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brussels terror attack

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I keep hearing this line, but female emancipation... in Islam? Richmond will win a thousand flags before that happens.

Look at Indonesia - women very active in business, politics and civil society. Other more secular Islamic countries are similar. Assuming that Islam is inherently anti-women's rights is wrong, despite the appalling treatment of women in some Islamic societies.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
You nailed it. I listed countries with shared values - nations where this is a horror and not accepted as inevitable.

Many other cities have been affected in the last decade besides those.
Most of the lebanese i know, including some in lebanon, share my values

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
jb03 said:
We would never know if it was working as the media wouldn't be reporting anything
They never manage to report nothing. They'll all be able to conjure up some story eg Gillard and house puchase, Martin and chopsticks, Lyon and Brownless' ex.

dusty delivers

Tiger Rookie
Mar 11, 2016
poppa x said:
The World has wrestled with this problem for decades.
I can remember Munich in 1972, and earlier terror attacks in the 60's in Europe.
The one constant I see is these terror groups rely on publicity.
Every time the media reports these attacks it attracts the crackpots to the terrorists cause.
Without media exposure, these fools wouldn't know the bombings etc. were happening.
So my radical solution is for the World's Media to agree NOT to report on the incidents. It's a big ask, but it won't kill anyone by trying it.
And who knows, over time it may work.

Disagree. Need to discuss why. Eventually it will be worked out that men and religion are the reason. Education and womens rights will eventually tilt the balance. Secular values will supercede silly religious beliefs & traditions and the brainwashing of the young will slowly recede. It may take another 20-30 years but it will happen, apple will ensure it.