Personal and Domestic violence | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Personal and Domestic violence

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Mark Latham coming under fire for his bizarre rant against Rosie Batty. This guy has a screw loose.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Mark Latham coming under fire for his bizarre rant against Rosie Batty. This guy has a screw loose.

Think he made some valid points but chose his words very badly. Easy to understand why some found his spiel offensive.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Think he made some valid points but chose his words very badly. Easy to understand why some found his spiel offensive.
I must gave missed his "valid points" and just heard his ridiculous claims about Rosie Batty trying to demonise all men and using her tragedy as a Trojan horse for the feminism left to gain power (or words to that effect)

I've just finished her book and the woman couldn't be more fair and understanding.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Demonising men makes the problem worse and if you want a solution, then deal with men in public housing estates and the Aboriginal communities where the problem is targeted,” he said.

“You would find by attacking poverty rather than attacking men you’ll get a far better solution than the nonsense we’re hearing from Rosie Batty and the other left feminists.”

Was the person who abused Rosie and murdered her son in public housing, an Aborignal community or in poverty? I think Rosie has highlighted that domestic violence can happen anywhere and to anyone.

Brick bats to Latham. Bouquets to Rosie.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigertim said:
I must gave missed his "valid points" and just heard his ridiculous claims about Rosie Batty trying to demonise all men and using her tragedy as a Trojan horse for the feminism left to gain power (or words to that effect)

I've just finished her book and the woman couldn't be more fair and understanding.

His point that men use domestic violence as a "coping mechanism" is totally outrageous.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
rosy23 said:
Was the person who abused Rosie and murdered her son in public housing, an Aborignal community or in poverty? I think Rosie has highlighted that domestic violence can happen anywhere and to anyone.

Brick bats to Latham. Bouquets to Rosie.
The person who killed her son lived in hostels. He had serious mental health issues too.

But as you point out DV can occur anywhere. Lathams claims of poverty, Aboriginal communities and public housing seem to be off the mark. That guy Little who killed himself and his kids weren't Aboriginal or in PH or in poverty. Farquharson wasnt. Freeman wasn't.

I think mental health plays a bigger part than PH or Aboriginal communities or poverty.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigertim said:
The person who killed her son lived in hostels. He had serious mental health issues too.

Was also a drug user. Certainly not typical of male-female relationships in this country. The point Latham was making, rather crudely, is that all men have been stigmatised to an extent as a result of Rosie Batty's personal tragedy. We're not a team.

And if I hear the "gender pay gap" lie one more time, I'm going to yell.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Was also a drug user. Certainly not typical of male-female relationships in this country. The point Latham was making, rather crudely, is that all men have been stigmatised to an extent as a result of Rosie Batty's personal tragedy. We're not a team.

Hey LTR, I'm a 49yr old male and I in no way feel demonised/stigmatised by Rosie Batty or the rise in awareness of DV.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Hey LTR, I'm a 49yr old male and I in no way feel demonised/stigmatised by Rosie Batty or the rise in awareness of DV.

Ditto, as far as I'm concerned she's an Australian hero.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The point Latham was making, rather crudely, is that all men have been stigmatised to an extent as a result of Rosie Batty's personal tragedy. We're not a team.

What a load of waffle.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Read her book and if you think she demonises or stigmatises all men it's my shout.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
The issue is always more important than the person raising it. While I don't feel stigmatised there is a physical difference (on average) between men and women that gives us an "unfair" advantage. It means that in what seems a completely non-threatening environment to us (say being in a lift or riding in a taxi) can be very uncomfortable for the woman. So we don't have equal but greater responsibility to make sure that we conduct ourselves in way that helps to level the playing field, so to speak. I'm not talking about "trigger warnings" or "femanistas" or being a "SJW" just being honest about the reality of life as a woman that most of us blokes just don't get.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
KnightersRevenge said:
The issue is always more important than the person raising it. While I don't feel stigmatised there is a physical difference (on average) between men and women that gives us an "unfair" advantage. It means that in what seems a completely non-threatening environment to us (say being in a lift or riding in a taxi) can be very uncomfortable for the woman. So we don't have equal but greater responsibility to make sure that we conduct ourselves in way that helps to level the playing field, so to speak. I'm not talking about "trigger warnings" or "femanistas" or being a "SJW" just being honest about the reality of life as a woman that most of us blokes just don't get.

No, I get it and have always got it. Hitting women is pissweak. One of the first things I was taught.

If your partner is in the habit of hitting you, it's abnormal. Just get out.

What Rosie Batty endured is tragic. That she hooked up with a froot loop, who began abusing her soon after they met, and had a child with him years afterward, was avoidable. Women's judgement ought to be part of the discussion.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigertim said:

Has she ever mentioned domestic violence against men during her campaigning? Yes, it's less common than the other, not very fashionable and much less likely to be reported, but it does happen.

The enitre message has been that women are victims while men have issues they need to address. I'll condede it's a perception that's influenced and probably distorted by other social messages being transmitted at full beam right now, but to someone who's taken only passing note, Rosie Batty comes across as a unit of the feminist army.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Has she ever mentioned domestic violence against men during her campaigning? Yes, it's less common than the other, not very fashionable and much less likely to be reported, but it does happen.

The enitre message has been that women are victims while men have issues they need to address. I'll condede it's a perception that's influenced and probably distorted by other social messages being transmitted at full beam right now, but to someone who's taken only passing note, Rosie Batty comes across as a unit of the feminist army.
I have heard her speak and she comes across to me as a person who has endured an unspeakable tragedy and is tackling the issue that is related to her situation with great courage. She is amazing and as has been said earlier she is really an Australian hero.

She is no pawn or unit of anyone I suspect. If you have a chance go and hear her speak, its right from the heart which is why it's so powerful.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No, I get it and have always got it. Hitting women is p!ssweak. One of the first things I was taught.

What Rosie Batty endured is tragic. That she hooked up with a froot loop, who began abusing her soon after they met, and had a child with him years afterward, was avoidable. Women's judgement ought to be part of the discussion.

Reading that LTRTR I don't think you do. By the time you're actually hitting a woman you're already way off the reservation. I'm talking about all the little things that blokes just don't have to put up with in daily life. I couldn't believe it one night when over a few beers I was chatting with a few female friends. One of whom had grown up in the country but lived in the city for the last 12 years. Her younger cousin had just moved to Melbourne that week and had been propositioned, and then pinned against a wall in lift. She, like her cousin (my friend) was tall so it was not a size difference thing. The bloke just found himself in a lift with a tall pretty young girl and decided to try it on. As she told the story I was reminded of another female friend, again not a small or frail girl, who got felt up by taxi driver one night and called us badly distressed. As I started talking all, every single one, of the women had multiple stories of these types of harassment. My wife had similar stories of taxi driver's stepping over the line and many of professional business men in her high end firm being abusive and sexist towards professional female colleagues. All this stuff is part of the conversation. Until we are honest about the way women are treated we will struggle to get it right. IMO we have to start young. It is young boys going into their teenage years that need to be given the right messages about how to treat women. Again I'm not talking about raising a generation of namby-pamby metrosexuals just respect and honesty and integrity.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
KnightersRevenge said:
Reading that LTRTR I don't think you do. By the time you're actually hitting a woman you're already way off the reservation. I'm talking about all the little things that blokes just don't have to put up with in daily life. I couldn't believe it one night when over a few beers I was chatting with a few female friends. One of whom had grown up in the country but lived in the city for the last 12 years. Her younger cousin had just moved to Melbourne that week and had been propositioned, and then pinned against a wall in lift. She, like her cousin (my friend) was tall so it was not a size difference thing. The bloke just found himself in a lift with a tall pretty young girl and decided to try it on. As she told the story I was reminded of another female friend, again not a small or frail girl, who got felt up by taxi driver one night and called us badly distressed. As I started talking all, every single one, of the women had multiple stories of these types of harassment. My wife had similar stories of taxi driver's stepping over the line and many of professional business men in her high end firm being abusive and sexist towards professional female colleagues. All this stuff is part of the conversation. Until we are honest about the way women are treated we will struggle to get it right. IMO we have to start young. It is young boys going into their teenage years that need to be given the right messages about how to treat women. Again I'm not talking about raising a generation of namby-pamby metrosexuals just respect and honesty and integrity.

That's a different topic to domestic violence. I don't support that sh!t and my mates don't do it either, you're talking about something thatt's alien to me. But I'm getting a clearer picture of how these things blur into one message - men are bad.

It's kinda sad that women walking alone will occasionally cross the street when I'm walking towards them, presumably to avoid the remote possibility of physical assault by a stranger. Sad, but not my fault. Maybe I should get around in a wheelchair?

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
That's a different topic to domestic violence. I don't support that sh!t and my mates don't do it either, you're talking about something thatt's alien to me. But I'm getting a clearer picture of how these things blur into one message - men are bad.

It's kinda sad that women walking alone will occasionally cross the street when I'm walking towards them, presumably to avoid the remote possibility of physical assault by a stranger. Sad, but not my fault. Maybe I should get around in a wheelchair?

Come on LTR, you're acting like a spoilt child. All of us men arent bad, that's nonsense (just like all Muslims arent terrorists, all priests aren't peodophiles etc) . But there are TOO many that are (in all 3 examples!).

And again, I can't say I've ever had a woman "occassionally cross the street when I'm walking towards them, presumaambly to avoid the remote possibility of physical assault by a stranger"

Nobody is saying all men are bad....except maybe Clementine Ford...... ;)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

That's really interesting. I wonder if many others have that repeat experience. Maybe it's the vibe. Men and women sometimes cross the street when they see me coming too...always when I have my big German Shepherd with me. Scary teddy bear that he is. :nailbiting

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No, I get it and have always got it. Hitting women is p!ssweak. One of the first things I was taught.

It's hard to question others' judgement if you haven't walked in their shoes. It's not always as easy as being avoidable and just get out. Far from it.