Burqa Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Burqa Poll

What do you think should be the situation with burqas?

• Anyone should be able to wear them

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Only Muslims should be able to wear them

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No issues as long as have to be removed if requested by authorities

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Ban anything that covers the face

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Same law for everyone

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I was reading about the Ban the Burqa protest day and wondered how PREnders would think about the topic.

I don't believe any religion should give people rights to different laws to non-religious people. I find helmets, veils and masks a bit scarey not being able to see the face under them. I couldn't handle going to a masquerade party. I'm not comfortable with people concealing their identity in public places.

My concern with covered faces is it could be used to conceal the identity of criminals. Can't see a clear solution to the problem but I'll vote Same law for everyone.

MightyTiger

Tiger Rookie
Nov 20, 2010
The only reason why the public have a problem with the Burqa is because the media paints a picture that all Muslims are terrorists, where were these polls and protests before 9/11?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Brodders17 said:
does 'same law for everyone' mean everyone is free to follow their religious beliefs?

Not really. I meant if one group can cover their faces should everyone be able to do so. I'm not sure about anyone being free to follow religious beliefs if they go against the laws of the country.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
MightyTiger said:
The only reason why the public have a problem with the Burqa is because the media paints a picture that all Muslims are terrorists, where were these polls and protests before 9/11?

That certainly doesn't apply to me. I doubt too many would think all Muslims are terrorists.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
MightyTiger said:

That is nonsense. It is simply about identification. And is why you can't wear sunnies, a hat or suck on a chuppa chup in a passport photo.

MightyTiger

Tiger Rookie
Nov 20, 2010
rosy23 said:
That certainly doesn't apply to me. I doubt too many would think all Muslims are terrorists.

My point was the Media likes to point all Muslims with the same brush, I certainly don't think all people think that way but there are many people in Australia who only have there views on the religion because of the way the Media paints it out to be.

Oddly enough I was listening to this show on Channel 7 my brother had on in his room, they were discussing this very topic and they went out onto the streets to ask of peoples opinions about it. They were all mainly of the same opinion that the Burqa should be banned, but one lady made a comment that just made me sick on the stomach, something along the lines of 'I don't really care for Muslims' I mean honestly I doubt she has ever met one or spoken to one to even make a call like that, it just sickens me that people have these preconceived about things without knowing all the information.

My point still stands though, where were these polls and protests before 9/11, if someone can provide evidence of other Governments in any Country trying to get it banned pre 9/11 then I will gladly back away from my view.

MightyTiger

Tiger Rookie
Nov 20, 2010
jb03 said:
That is nonsense. It is simply about identification. And is why you can't wear sunnies, a hat or suck on a chuppa chup in a passport photo.

How is it nonsense? I didn't hear about these issues about the Burqa before 9/11.

And taking a passport photo wearing a hat or a pear of sunnies is far far different then taking away someone's right to wear what they like in public.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I voted the no issues option as long as it is removed when asked to by authorities for identification purposes.

I heard an interesting interview on the ABC in Perth just after that incident in Sydney. A young woman from group representing young Muslims said that there is no issue with removing a burqa for identification purposes and there is no instruction not to do so. Sorry, but I cannot remember the name of the group she was from, but she was articulate and appeared to know her subject.

So as far as I am concerned, a person in this country is free to believe/do what they like as long as it doesn't impact on me (me as in any other citizen), respect our democracy and laws.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
How would you know they are due to 9/11 as you seem to be alluding to, rather than other terrorist bombings that are all too commonplace MT?

You seem to be telling us a lot about what others think and why but nothing about how you'd vote on the poll.

I didn't give one thought to terrorism when I started or voted on this thread. The anti-Muslim person you mentioned on the radio is a red herring. It's just one person's opinion on Muslims that is nothing to do with this actual topic.

I don't think any religious beliefs should take precedence over the laws of the country, especially if minority groups are allowed to do things the general population aren't.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Streak said:
So as far as I am concerned, a person in this country is free to believe/do what they like as long as it doesn't impact on me (me as in any other citizen) .

this is true, unless those beliefs are christian. then they are regularly used to create/maintain laws which impact on a lot of people, of all beliefs. almost all political leaders in recent times refer to christian values, despite the supposed seperation of church and state.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
rosy23 said:
Not really. I meant if one group can cover their faces should everyone be able to do so. I'm not sure about anyone being free to follow religious beliefs if they go against the laws of the country.

Are you saying I cannot wear a burqa in public if I want to? Gee, there are a lot of people who wish I would :hihi

Seriously though, I am sure I could wear a burqa in Australia if I wanted to, even though I am not Muslim.

MightyTiger

Tiger Rookie
Nov 20, 2010
rosy23 said:
How would you know they are due to 9/11 as you seem to be alluding to, rather than other terrorist bombings that are all too commonplace MT?

You seem to be telling us a lot about what others think and why but nothing about how you'd vote on the poll.

I didn't give one thought to terrorism when I started or voted on this thread. The anti-Muslim person you mentioned on the radio is a red herring. It's just one person's opinion on Muslims that is nothing to do with this actual topic.

I don't think any religious beliefs should take precedence over the laws of the country, especially if minority groups are allowed to do things the general population aren't.

My vote was for the non issue one as long as they take it off by request from the authorities.

And as to the highlighted part, that is exactly my point, why are Burqas being targeted when a terrorist can be anyone from any race or religion?

The best example I can give is a short clip that was done by The Chasers War on Everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McB9tsabPn0

No other video better sums it up then this.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
MightyTiger said:
And as to the highlighted part, that is exactly my point, why are Burqas being targeted when a terrorist can be anyone from any race or religion?

I just raised that because you singled out, and made judgements in regard to, 9/11. This thread isn't about terrorism.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Brodders17 said:
this is true, unless those beliefs are christian. then they are regularly used to create/maintain laws which impact on a lot of people, of all beliefs. almost all political leaders in recent times refer to christian values, despite the supposed seperation of church and state.

I am not sure about that line of thinking Brodders. Are our laws really based on Christian beliefs, and if so, what sort of Christianity? I myself do not profess to be of any religion, and the only one I know much about is the Catholic teachings from the Vatican because it is always in the news.

I thought for a start that they were

1. Against birth control
2. Against abortion
3. Against IVF and similar techniques

But these are all legal in Australia.

I do agree that our Politicians talk about Christian beliefs, but really, they spout any old thing if they think it would win them votes in my opinion. The basic tenets of or laws seem to be pretty similar with other countries with the odd exceptions here and there.

At the end of the day, this is not a debate I can have anyway, because I don't know about the subject. So like I said, as long as someone doesn't affect me (and I mean all the people of our nation), I don't give to hoots what they want to believe.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Is a burqa religious dress or cultural dress?
I think there is some difference.
I know some Muslims wear them and others don't.

MightyTiger

Tiger Rookie
Nov 20, 2010
rosy23 said:
I just raised that because you singled out, and made judgements in regard to, 9/11. This thread isn't about terrorism.

Then what other reason could there be for a Country to ban such a thing?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
willo said:
Is a burqa religious dress or cultural dress?
I think there is some difference.
I know some Muslims wear them and others don't.

Does it make a difference Willo?

As long as I do not violate decency laws, and comply with lawful requests from relevant authorities, I reckon I can wear anything I like regardless of whether I am Muslim, male or female, Tigers supporter or whatever.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Streak said:
Are you saying I cannot wear a burqa in public if I want to? Gee, there are a lot of people who wish I would :hihi

Seriously though, I am sure I could wear a burqa in Australia if I wanted to, even though I am not Muslim.

There are plenty of places you wouldn't be able to have a covered face without religious grounds. Court is one example. I imagine airports would be another.