BUY A MEMBERSHIP AND GET A PHONE | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

BUY A MEMBERSHIP AND GET A PHONE

Harry said:
Supporters who need to be bribed to become members are a disgrace. You can either afford to be a member or not. Obviously these guys are in it for the phone and are not in it for the membership.

Bribed?

I get very angry with this attitude. Seems to me the Club cannot win.

Fact: they are desperate for members! Our numbers are shocking anyway you look at it. The Club have recognised they need to do something different.

People on this site have given a number of reasons why they haven't signed up. Performance for one. Well the performances so far have been better than most of us expected but still the numbers remain low. Some have said that memberships does not offer any value for money especially when the team is going like "crap".

The Club finally comes up with a deal that may entice people to join and they (the CLub and supporter) get criticised.

Can't win. There will people who have phoned today and knew nothing of this offer so I don't think you can call them "bribed"

From the club site.

From Friday May 2, the first 1,000 people to sign up for 2003 membership will receive a FREE Motorola C330 phone! Conditions apply. If you miss out, DON'T WORRY - Motorola is coming out with another offer to existing members! So sign up now!

I have no problem with this. The club should be congratulated for once again (as it has in the last 6 months) for being proactive to correct a problem. Memberships sre the liveblood of AFL clubs and if we are say 5,000 down then that corresponds to about $600,000 the club misses out on (treating all as adult memberships roughly). Should also be thankful Motorola is one of our sponsors. First the latest gear for the coaching staff now this as well as the sponsorship money they obviosuly put in. Sound like we have found a good one.

Many supporters would have been totally ticked off with what happened last year. If this gets them back in the fold then that's great.

If people have got the money and are passionate about the club then they will be members REGARDLESS of whether a phone was being offered.

If you don't have the money - fair enough. If youre not passionate about the club - fair enough again.

The club has become desperate and they need to come up with something - I can see that. But what happens when the 1000 phones run out - we'll be 22,000 members and still a long long way behind.

Being so far behind in membership numbers compared to the likes of Hawthorn is a joke. We out numbered them 2 to 1 on the weekend even though it was their home game, yet still we can't compete with them in the membership stakes. Disgraceful.

Wake up Tiger fans. We've still got 9 home games to go and the team is showing good signs. If thats not motivation enough then I don't know what 1000 phones is gonna do.

Anyone who can afford to be a member but isn't, gets zero respect in my book. I cannot understand the logic of waiting to see how the team goes before deciding. A club with lots of members has more money to spend on facilities, coaching etc... all the things that make the players better. So if you don't join up you lessen our chances of being a good side, which discourages such people from joining, and round and round it goes.

JOIN UP NOW - OUR CLUB IS NOT SAFE WITHOUT YOU.

I called the club today to sign up me and my sister about 450pm only to hear a recorded message which stated "... office hours 9 til 5pm" after the tone leave a message.... 'it's not 5 yet'!!

TigerDog,

You can join up on-line. Check out memberships on their website

Cheers TT I thought of that and then thought "what if I want to go to this weeks game I'll have to organise the tickets to be picked up eyc" and going on past dealings I have had with these things (even some seasons when I signed up early, there was some problem with the cards or something, anyhow) it's hard enough to organise in person let alone on the net. I will just call them tomorrow.

My two bob's worth:

I considered not buying membership for the first time in 15 years, because I hate!!!!!!!!!!!! going to the Docklands. But the greater cause prevailed ;)

Does anyone else feel the same way about Docklands?

Oh yeah, Does that new Motorola came with a tiger ring-tone?

mongrel_punt said:
I hate!!!!!!!!!!!! going to the Docklands.
Does anyone else feel the same way about Docklands?

I'm with you m_p. I hate the sterile Docklands stadium and all it represents.
I haven't been there this year, it doesn't take too much of an excuse for me not to go.
I'd sit in the rain like the Dockers game at the G every week rather than sit under the theatre roof.

I think the club decision to play there has alienated members. It might have helped the club financially, but I think it's done damage to the supporter base.

An unrelated issue is the removal of the September Family Day. It was a great way for people to feel part of the club, and to say their goodbyes for the year etc.

It's little things like that that count with people, and though free phones might sell 1000 memberships, I think the club needs to do something to make people feel they are wanted for more than membership dollars.

They need to feel a part of the place and the club should accept some responsibility for declining membership nos imo.

Anyway I think we all need to support the club to make it a real power again, and the club needs to consider the supporters when it makes decisions too.

Go Tiges. :)

I work in hospitality, which means I work most Friday nights, Saturday (days) and the occassional Sunday which means I didn't think I'd be going to many games this season but........ I 've made to 4 of the 5 games in Melbourne so far which has been good (bit easier when I get to write my own roster which is around the Tiges!!!)

In saying all that, I wasn't going to get a membership for the simple fact that I didn't think I would get much usage out of it. After the motorola phone deal arose, (and for the fact that I smashed 4 phones last year), that was enough for me to purchase a membership right away, no second thoughts.

Sounds a bit weak as to my reasoning for getting a membership but anyone who knows me will testify to my love and loyalty to the RFC, so good on ya Tiges, you got me and plenty of others it sounds like!!!

P.S. I love Newman :p

julzqld said:
Does the club do "Membership Nights" where they invited members to come and listen to what is happening to the club?

For the first time this year Julz the Club will be running two Members Information nights. The first one is coming up in June (I think - will confirm tonight haven't got the dates with me ATM). The Second one will be at the end of the season

Rosy,

I think if you listen to what Ian Campbell said yesterday about the Club needing to make the members feel part of the Club shows that the points you mentioned are being addressed by the Club.

The Motorola offer is the first step in giving members something in return other than admittance to a game of footy. As for the September Family day - you are 200% correct. The Club should bring it back. I know the Members Forum are pushing very hard for that

Koalalill said:
Rosy,

I think if you listen to what Ian Campbell said yesterday about the Club needing to make the members feel part of the Club shows that the points you mentioned are being addressed by the Club.

My point wasn't really what the club is doing in the future KL, it's what it's done in the past.
I am sure they'll see certain things they have done that's alienated members and work towards rectifying it, but it probably won't show in memberships that much this year.
A successful season on the field, and the club becoming more embracing towards members and hopefully people will have more faith next season.
The club recognising there are issues to address is a good start.