Campbell doubt, Houlihan out | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Campbell doubt, Houlihan out

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Campbell doubt, Houlihan out
Alan Shiell
afl.com.au
1:45:02 PM Sun 4 May, 2003

Richmond captain Wayne Campbell is a doubtful starter against Essendon at the MCG on Saturday, and Adam Houlihan will not play against the Bombers and might also miss the match against Melbourne at the MCG the following Saturday night.

Campbell slightly strained a calf against Port Adelaide late in the first quarter at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night and Houlihan strained a hamstring.

Richmond football manager Greg Hutchison said Campbell had pulled up “fairly well” at recovery on Sunday morning and Houlihan was “not as bad as first thought”.

But Hutchison said Campbell was “highly unlikely” to play against the Bombers and Houlihan would “miss one or two”.

Duncan Kellaway, recovered from a hamstring injury, played the second half of the Coburg Tigers’ match against Geelong on Saturday and got through OK. He will probably need another run in the VFL before being considered for a recall.

Clinton King (knee) might resume next weekend – for Coburg.

Bill Nicholls, Chris Hyde, Royce Vardy and Andrew Mills are likely to be considered for promotion.

I'd rather Campbell hop around on one leg in the forward pocket than a Pettifer do it with two.

I think someone else may have said the same o this board but
out Campbell Houlihan INJ Pettifer
in Vardy Nichols Schulz or MacGrath

I am with Dragicevic Fan. those would be my changes. Although i would be tempted to drop Pettifer for Mills or Hyde. If Pettifer has to come off the bench he is better off in Coburg. If he can paly a full game or at least start for a half see how he goes.

I think the Sarge, Nichols and Oh Ahh will get the drop. With Petifer getting a rest in the Burgs

Lets Roar

Khan

Hopefully

In - Schulz, McGrath, Nicholls, Vardy, Hyde

Out - Campbell, Houlihan, Pettifer, Rogers, Bidscum

However it will be

In - Vardy, Nicholls

Out - Campbell, Houlihan

Yes people Pettifer will stay in - don't be surprised

flea said:
Can anyone tell me the latest with Dragga. When will he be considered for senior selection??

Flea,

I attended a dinner in early April where Danny and Darren Crocker spoke. They were asked about Dragga.

In summary they both said that the Club would ensure that Dragga would be eased back into senior footy. As they pointed out Dragga has missed 2 years of footy and despite Dragga's apparent confident nature - after 2 knee reconstructions he needs to get his confidence and belief back. They said that is we got senior games out of Dragga this season it would be a bonus. The intention is for him to play at Coburg and regain his confidence. If he starts playing sensational footy - he will be considered. But the Club isn't expecting much of him. They just want him to get through the year (whether with Coburg or the seniors) without suffering any futher knee problems

Sad but true Harry. :mad: my ins and outs are more hope than anything I guess (with Schulz and Macgrath)

Michael Wilson came in for Port for the showdown after 2 knee recos in two years and has done well. Draga should be selected on merit rather than anything else. He'll be fine.

AS for Pettifer, like to see him play a full game rather than come off the bench before i make a real judgement on him. coming off hte bench is not easy and should be considered, although having liked him in the past my patience with his attitude is wearing thin.

Rogers is in our best 22 in my opinion, i think some are too harsh on him. As a veteran he should be used off the bench.

Injuries *smile* me off. Doesnt seem Millsy can take a trick either. Alays stars with Coburg andarely gets selected. Must be more to it although he is still on the list after i expected him to be delisted after last year so who knows. Injuries have always hurt him.

We have too many injuries and it will come to tell. Our lack of depth especially in height considering they are reluctant to use Vardy adn Schulz will hurt us.

McGrath should earn his spot not be given a charity berth. Pettifer did earn his spot initially although now is not showing much. Preseason he playes full games and was dominant, maybe that is all he needs. I am not going to write him off like others even though Pettifer bashing seems to be the flavour of the month.

Shawry, being from adelaide you obviously don't go to many games. If Rogers is in our best 22 then I will jump. You watch the games on TV where hand grenades incompetence in spotting options is sheilded to an extent.

THE GUY IS USELESS AND HAS BEEN FOR THE PAST 9 YEARS.

Agree with your wilson comment however.

McGrath has earned his spot in the team on talent alone - something that a lot of the others do not possess - Frilly Laced Peticoat being one of them.

Harry. I realise we disagree on Rogers. I see approx 3-4 games live a year which isnt much i agree, but i do see most of the rest live on TV through either 10,9 or Fox Footy. Rogers has attributes i like, and i agree our team does not need another bloke that turns over the ball too easily, we have too many of them anyway and is why we lost on Sat night from the 2 1/2 quarters of the game i have seen so far. He is no worse at it than a few others were the other night ie Hilton and Newman. My opinion of Rogers come off the bench in bursts, add a spar kup forward occasionally and sometimes off a half back flank. No way in deep defence an not good enough to be a midfielder. I like him and think he is worthy. I am srue you disagree but that is my opinion and i am sticking to it.

McGrath has talent yes, but i dont think people should be given charity spots, makes them appreciate it less and they get into bad habits ie Pettifer althoguh he did earn it last year and a few early games this year due to preseason. I am holding out for him to make a decent contribution. I think this week is his last chance if last week wasnt, although i still dont think he is being used properly.

You mention charity spots - these abovementioned duds getting games week in week out is a charity.

I agree we are not using pettifer properly - he needs to be used at Coburg - indefinately

shawry said:
Pettifer did earn his spot initially although now is not showing much. Preseason he playes full games and was dominant,

When do you think Kayne was dominant shawry?

At the end of last year when he was sent back to Coburg the guys who saw him said he sulked and was lazy, in fact did bugger all. He was in such bad form in one Coburg game (final) I saw on telly that he was benched for a whole quarter.

He was pretty ordinary in the London game, hunting around packs trying to make out he was busy but in reality doing nothing. People commented on the boards about it at the time.

I didn't see the Melbourne Wizz Fizz game, so maybe he dominated there.

He was named in the clubs best and got a wrap in the Geraldton game, though I don't think any of us saw that.

I was at the Carlton praccy match, and he was named in the best there too. The people who posted on the various websites were amazed at that, and assumed it was an error. If that effort was in the best players they must have thought some others were pretty terrible.

It seems to me Kayne is praised for very little effort. I'd love to see him dominate at Coburg for a few games in a row rather than get selected every week for such little result.

I just don't see how it can help him as a footballer to get a few touches every week for 20 or more weeks. A kid needs to run and get in amongst it and get the ball heaps to develop as a player, and he's virtually not had a touch since under 18's.

It's not bagging him thinking he'd be better at Coburg, it's hoping it might help him pull his finger out and get his career on track. Maybe even toughen him up a bit.

I don't even know Kayne personally but I reckon he'd struggle to hold and comprehend a conversation with a 13 year old - 3 weeks at Coburg and he'll be dropped to the Coburg reserves (if Frawley ever decides to drop him at all).

As for Rogers, I agree he'd be good off the bench - AT COBURG!!!

P.S. I love Newman

rosy3 said:
I don't see how it can help him as a footballer to get a few touches every week for 20 or more weeks. A kid needs to run and get in amongst it and get the ball heaps to develop as a player, and he's virtually not had a touch since under 18's.

It's not bagging him thinking he'd be better at Coburg, it's hoping it might help him pull his finger out and get his career on track. Maybe even toughen him up a bit.

I agree with all of that, if he isnt given adequate game time he should be at Coburg.