Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I saw that but I wondered if it takes into account the shorter quarters?

After all, everyone can be excused a 20% drop on 2019 figures.

Correct. As an example, Higgins is 20% less game time plus he's averaged this year 78.7% game time compared to 81.7% in 2019. Caddy is similar game time but he's come back from injury so needs time to get to his best fitness wise. Liam Baker 20% less plus only played 71.6% game time this year compared to 76.6 in 2019. The bottom half of the list provided above taking into account less game time have likely increased the pressure act points per minute played.

For me it's the disposal efficiency that is killing us the most. We're 2nd most for turnovers this year. Most other stats we're currently middle of the road or better.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
its certainly not a hill I'd die on, and I wouldn't argue he's a walk up 22 yet by any stretch,

but to my naked eye, his work rate has been Prestia-like over a very difficult month

I could be wrong.

He was 7th most pressure act points according to Herald Sun in last game. In Hawks game he was 2nd most so I don't buy the theory he's slacking off on the pressuring aspect in comparison to others.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
He was 7th most pressure act points according to Herald Sun in last game. In Hawks game he was 2nd most so I don't buy the theory he's slacking off on the pressuring aspect in comparison to others.
I didn't say he's slacking off, I said he's busting his arse but is just too slow.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I didn't say he's slacking off, I said he's busting his arse but is just too slow.

Sure he's not super quick. Either is Caddy. Martin. Graham is slow but can pressure. It's all about the team balance and its effectiveness relies on the group gelling as a whole If Higgo is scurrying to one Hawks defender after another then to me the issue isn't with Higgo.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Sure he's not super quick. Either is Caddy. Martin. Graham is slow but can pressure. It's all about the team balance and its effectiveness relies on the group gelling as a whole If Higgo is scurrying to one Hawks defender after another then to me the issue isn't with Higgo.

My instinct is to simplify and think 'we are too slow for the 16 minute game'

but it doesn't make sense that Bolton and Castagne and Rioli aren't having a new normal party.

I think what we have is a mild premiership hangover made to appear like a stage 2 terminal premiership hangover by the real and perceived strangeness of COVID footy

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Well you did say this in respect to the pressure act stats

Higlet has dropped off from his own not-high-to-begin-with standards. Maybe his *smile* is dragging on the ground.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think what we have is a mild premiership hangover made to appear like a stage 2 terminal premiership hangover by the real and perceived strangeness of COVID footy

There's no doubt this has had an instrumental effect on players throughout the AFL. And each will be affected differently depending on their circumstances. It's had very large effects on some people I know and obviously AFL players aren't immune to it. Which is why a wrote off this season as meaningful a long time ago for 2020. There are more important things at play atm than simply footy.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I completely understand that perspective,

but mine is the opposite.

footy has never been so important.

Guess I'm different. I love my footy, playing and watching and experiencing the passion but I've seen serious illness and death amongst family and friends in the past few months. Footy is a nice to have. It's not the end of the world if there's a short pause whilst people, whoever need to, focus on their own families during some really tough times atm. Players are no different. We need to have compassion and understand the differing needs right now (not pointing out anyone in particular by the way).

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah, don't get the Higlet angst. Always does something and often it's the unexpected.

Couple of long bombs to Lynch at the end but it didn't look like we had anyone else up the ground.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Loved his game today. Hunger and endeavour was fantastic, and he used the ball brilliantly. 84% efficiency.

Reactions: 1 users