Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Thought more on this and altered my POV

Jack asking for a trade is ok

But nominating his destination isnt.

Thats free agency and that comes after 8 years service.

I say we add a Dan butler surcharge to the asking price if saints are buying

And then lets grab treloar out of the reduced to clear bin

Reactions: 4 users
The ‘more opportunity’ thing is very annoying. He’s played around 2/3 of our games since being drafted, despite serious health issues last year. There’s no real comparison to other players that are seeking opportunities, such as Fogarty at Geelong, who’s played 17 games in three years. I hope we hold firm on this.
My first reaction is "ungrateful!" I think his manager spoke to him, being a saint's fan the plan is easy to shallow. I'm really disappointed with Jack. Barrett said on trade radio that Conners gets his deals done. For me its st kilda's no 1 pick (current or future) or no trade.

Reactions: 5 users
Thought more on this and altered my POV

Jack asking for a trade is ok

But nominating his destination isnt.

Thats free agency and that comes after 8 years service.

I say we add a Dan butler surcharge to the asking price if saints are buying

And then lets grab treloar out of the reduced to clear bin
Doesn’t work that way; each trade on their merits.
Yes they got one over us with the out-of-contract Butler but our hand is strengthened this time by having Higgo under contract for another year.
Higgo has been unofficially on the table for some days now for any club to inquire about, and at this stage only the Saints are suiting up with two days to go.
If we can get 20-35 then that’s a good deal imo.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
My first reaction is of all clubs stkilda has plenty of his type so if it’s opportunity he seeks - then good luck. Just hope we don’t get shafted again.

Caesar. Is he an inside mid.

Eddazol, i thought Will was more of an accumulator through work rate and has a bit of inside and outside but have not seen him play this year so all I can go by is the last scrimmage match report for some idea of how we are playing him:

Will Martyn

“He is going to be a good player for us in the future. He is a big body mid and he has got a good balance between contested and uncontested possessions. He had four tackles, and in a game that is 13v13 it can be hard to get contests. But to have four tackles in a shortened game I think is pretty significant for him and the way he plays.

“It was great to see him show his strengths in that part of the game and he will continue to develop as an inside mid.”

Reactions: 2 users
My first reaction is of all clubs stkilda has plenty of his type so if it’s opportunity he seeks - then good luck. Just hope we don’t get shafted again.
He'd be much better off looking at The Hawks, Dogs, Blues or Kangas.

S Kilda are challengers now no more assistance to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Eddazol, i thought Will was more of an accumulator through work rate and has a bit of inside and outside but have not seen him play this year so all I can go by is the last scrimmage match report for some idea of how we are playing him:

Will Martyn

“He is going to be a good player for us in the future. He is a big body mid and he has got a good balance between contested and uncontested possessions. He had four tackles, and in a game that is 13v13 it can be hard to get contests. But to have four tackles in a shortened game I think is pretty significant for him and the way he plays.

“It was great to see him show his strengths in that part of the game and he will continue to develop as an inside mid.”
Thanks Caesar for the summary. Appreciate the update.

Reactions: 1 user
In the 7 news Sports preview, Wispy Watson comments “The Tigers set to lose another star”......Um, ‘another star?’ I’m confused :help

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
In the 7 news Sports preview, Wispy Watson comments “The Tigers set to lose another star”......Um, ‘another star?’ I’m confused :help

Every player is a star these days, but he's talking about Higgo.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just not that fussed if he leaves to be honest i dunno.

With Junior coming along as well, Ross, RCD, Aarts, Caddy, Ralphy, Dow and Martyn as a hopefully re calibrated and re compassed Stack who all missed finals he is under pressure to get regular games, going forward from here.

He has deficiencies and they are still apparent.

He was never going to keep Edwards out of the side or Prestia.

As long as adequate sorry appropriate and agreeable compensation is transacted, I'm not too fussed just as I'm not too fussed if he stays.

Reactions: 1 user
Gen Snowflake. Can't understand the concept of biding your time and earning your right to play in the Seniors.

Also wonder who is giving him advice. More chance of being a Premiership player at RFC than the Saints, much more of a chance. At 21 does he really want to give that chance up so early?

Yeah this whole thing really makes me think less of Higgo especially given the support we've given him. The reasons given by Connors are just *smile* given the chances he's had.

Reactions: 3 users
20-35 for a first rounder who’s looked the goods when fit and confident? The bloke just had brain surgery.

No *smile* way.

First rounder or *smile* off St Kilda.

Reactions: 9 users
Giants want a first pick for Caldwell he was pick 11
Higgins was first round pick so we do the same

Reactions: 4 users
20-35 for a first rounder who’s looked the goods when fit and confident? The bloke just had brain surgery.

No *smile* way.

First rounder or *smile* off St Kilda.

Thats why I think they get the Dogs involved. Dogs also into Lonie means Saints could give up Lonie and a pick for Higgins which would be a great result for them.

Dogs Pick 14 for Higgo and we give up something too, maybe our 2nd this year that we won't be using. There are several options that could be worked through.