Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I will never forget trade day 2000 or 01
Shitter Sheehan said about Pettifier "He is captain material and he leads from the front'
That was the last time i ever took notice of him
I was on flight back from Brisbane and i had Scotty Clayton sitting next to me, as soon as i told him im a Richmond supporter, he started to give me *smile*. I almost got into fisty cuffs with him on a plane.
He said Richmond could have 9 of the first 10 picks and they would still not pick the best player.
Fken weed
At the time he was right.......how many lists has he built for premiership success though?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Let's face it, he was a fringe player this year so looking for greener pastures and more chances to play in the firsts is reasonable.

I am a bit s***ty that he wanted to leave given we stood by him when he had the brain surgery but apart from that I'm easy.

4 picks is not much of an upgrade but I figure more of an upgrade at the pointy end of the draft. Future 2nd could be useful too.

Plus, we might get injuries and need the depth. But we have depth, we have Ross, RCD, Stack(?), and a few others champing at the bit to get games, plus those we drafted last year. To be honest, not sure whether Higgins would be selected if we have injuries, and, if he was, would we lose the players who he gets selected in front of?

Good luck to him, I think he will have more opportunities at StKilda and I reckon they are looking good. Thought they were good this year without being quite at top 4 level, with the players they have now added, they are a very good chance to be there at the pointy end.

Would have liked to get more but he wasn't getting games at Richmond and while we might lament losing a first rounder, StKilda would have been pointing out how we would be paying a guy who is not getting games, so the fact Higgins was contracted has pluses and minuses.

DS

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Jack Higgins has departed Richmond for more opportunity.

Personally, I'm a fan of his (rare) best football but I'm alive to his limitations. Delist IMO. Talking football.

The notion that that we are moving on Jack Higgins because he doesn't fit in is a new one to me. I've heard a bit of this in this past week.

Now, let's all remember that Richmond is the club of Zen and tolerance. Of yoga instructors (unpaid) and enlightenment.

Have you read anything of the club of inclusion? We are inclusive.

*Jack Higgins's girlfriend is Yoko Ono.*

FMD. That was out of date even at the time (1970).

Jack Higgins may have a personality difference. (He seems like pretty much all of my friends.) And maybe he's a below average AFL athlete.

Has a *smile* on him.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I like him as a player, he's a real footballer, not one of these namby-pamby "athletes". However I defer to the club's expertise on cardio, running patterns and general dark-arts as it seems to be winning us a lot of flags recently.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
In Higgins defence, a very good point was made to me yesterday that the lack of VFL (this covid affected season) will have made those not playing senior footy question their futures more than a usual year. Footballers want to play & a guy like Jack with his education has a limited time to make his mark given so many eggs are in one basket for him. Reduced list sizes will also be making fringe players think about their own careers.
I've softened my disappointment in him overnight. We look forward, not back.

Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Popular though Jack was amongst supporters, and I’d say the playing group, he did have some significant flaws as a player, and that meant that opportunities at senior level at the RFC would be limited. He’ll get more opportunity at St Kilda, but he’d need to continue to improve as a player to hold his spot there. We got what we paid for him, which is rare for a fringe player now.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Not a big deal here in any respect

Happy if he’s plays a lot of games there but reckon his replacement will likely play more games for us than Higgo would have

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Will only be able to judge this in a few years time.

I think most of us had some doubts about Jack, both before and after his injury. There is a lot of risk in this for the saints and on reflection the price seems about right.

Frank Booth

Tiger Cub
Apr 9, 2016
Jack would have read the tea leaves. Probably looked at RCD, Dow and the emergence of Shai and Ross and thought he may be a bit further down the pecking for a midfielder, high half forward role than he hoped..

Good luck to him though

MurrayValleyTiger

Another Famous Loss? Please, Not Again!
Jan 19, 2005
Cobram
He's a real footballer who cannot kick a football.
Yep agree unfortunately consistently kicks loopy eight iron types . Does not suit our quick forward penetrating game. He actually holds up some of our forward surges! Wish him the best but is definitely replaceable! Hope we pick up a good type with our upgraded first round pick!

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Think we could have git more for Higgens.
There should be a loading for the fact he is a lifelong St Kilda fan and likely to stay.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
In Higgins defence, a very good point was made to me yesterday that the lack of VFL (this covid affected season) will have made those not playing senior footy question their futures more than a usual year. Footballers want to play & a guy like Jack with his education has a limited time to make his mark given so many eggs are in one basket for him. Reduced list sizes will also be making fringe players think about their own careers.
I've softened my disappointment in him overnight. We look forward, not back.
yeah i agree, not just this year, but i get why players chase security. I posted a few days ago that another year in the VFL for Higgins could end his career, and if he stayed at Richmond a year in the VFL was a possibility.

I rate Higgins and reckon he will have a good career, unfortunately not with us, but as a small HFF/mid I reckon we can replace him.
I would have liked a bit more in return, but not going to lose any sleep over the trade.

Reactions: 2 users