Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
It's the subtle difference between being happy for someone to stay and wanting them to stay for me. I think if we had really wanted him, he would have stayed.
I'm not privy to the contract negotiations, but if we offered him a fair deal, and he rejected it then there's nothing to regret if he does well at the Saints. Sure, if we offered him 20% more he might have stayed, but I'm glad we don't do that anymore to fringe players.

The opportunity to work your way back into the 22, and a possibly flag should have been incentive enough if he wanted to stay.

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
According to Channel 10.... the "Discarded former Tiger" went ok...
Could have sworn he asked to break his contract. ... what would I know, I ain't no quality journo!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Could have sworn he asked to break his contract. ... what would I know, I ain't no quality journo!
I’m sure he asked to be traded. He wasn’t discarded.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Apparently carved it up in the match simulation for the Saints the other day. Both he & Butler kicked a few goals between them.
How good that our offcuts are standouts at other clubs?
Pity we get nothing quality in return.
Collingwood were getting first rounders and players in return.
Wellingham first rounder, Dawes first rounder, Beams etc.
while we struggle to get rid of them for pick 67.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Channel 9 went with 'X Richmond premiership player'
Does that help?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We’ve got Ross, Dow, Graham, RCD, Bolton & Martyn all pressing for midfield opportunities. We may yet lose one or two other quality players from this group. Can’t keep them all but so long as we are identifying talent & winning Flags, it’s a moot point.

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We’ve got Ross, Dow, Graham, RCD, Bolton & Martyn all pressing for midfield opportunities. We may yet lose one or two other quality players from this group. Can’t keep them all but so long as we are identifying talent & winning Flags, it’s a moot point.
Yep. It’s what happens when you are top of the pile.
Clubs will come after our players who can’t get a game due to our depth and the market will value them as fringe players.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Channel 9 went with 'X Richmond premiership player'
Does that help?
So then between channels ten and nine we've " discarded a premiership player " to the Saints for small change. Does that amount to " Fake news " ?

Nothing but gibbering idiots n manufactured *smile* in the various forms of media these days. None stop churn of noise n garbage that you can pick your own " Truths " from to feel comfortable with.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He always seems to go ok during the pre season and early season proper, but then fades the longer the real season goes on.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
His set shot kicking is worse than George’s so that was reason enough for me to trade him.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Realistically Higgins can aspire to a solid career as an average player and a likeable team mate in an ordinary side - and good luck to him

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
His set shot kicking is worse than George’s so that was reason enough for me to trade him.
His biggest limitation is that he doesn't have the foot skills to move the ball on quickly. He would mark and then stop, prop and then chip the ball 15m sideways, meanwhile the opposition is flooding back. It doesn't fit will our fast paced game plan that requires quick ball movement. We were happy to trade him because he wasn't going to play much.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He always seems to go ok during the pre season and early season proper, but then fades the longer the real season goes on.
That's a bit rough Red IMO. He was arguably our best player in the 2018 finals series & his first season was tremendous.
Then started having issues with his head in 2019.
He can play.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I would like all our ex-players to go well. That would hopefully increase our bargaining power in future trades.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
That's a bit rough Red IMO. He was arguably our best player in the 2018 finals series & his first season was tremendous.
Then started having issues with his head in 2019.
He can play.

He was ok against Hawthorn (20 disp.....but from the few outlets I checked I cant see him being reported in the best players anywhere though....maybe) but like the rest of them, not much chop against Cwood. To that end, dunno how he gets into our best player of the 2018 finals series ?

I'm not saying he can't play but he was an awkward fit for us and he carries one or two weaknesses.