Can we create another Hawthorn era? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can we create another Hawthorn era?

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The sounds a bit wishful thinking and a bit getting ahead of ourselves.
Personally, I don't care. As we saw with Rance, greatness can be fleeting and disappear a lot faster than it took to rise normally. I'm just going to savor this.

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Happy to start with B2B and go from there.
There is a dynasty to be had, if RFC wants it.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Until you cross him.

Or listen to him on guitar.
images

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
We need to keep doing what we've been doing. A mix of youth and targeted trades.

Lynch, Caddy, Prestia, Nankervis all made us a better team. 3 of them were instrumental in our 2017 Premiership, the 4th kept us in the hunt so that we could challenge for the 2019.
Lynch wasn't instrumental in 2019?

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Not if Clarko taught him! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile down at the Holden Centre

*Figgy's office*
*intercom*
Figgy: Darlene?
Intercom: fnushiwatsop?
Figgy: Get Clarko on the line - I see it reported he's been teaching Dimma how to play guitar
Intercom: warglesplub!
Figgy: Thanks Darlene - Oh and can I get a coffee delivered from the Cheeky Monkey?
Intercom: chelkytiykey?
Figgy: Yes please, where Dimma gets his coffee from.
Intercom: fnus.
Figgy: Thanks! Oh and order me a Tiger's 2020 training polo from the Superstore.
Intercome: shnegleworgfasin?
Figgy: Size XXL, thanks

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Meanwhile down at the Holden Centre

*Figgy's office*
*intercom*
Figgy: Darlene?
Intercom: fnushiwatsop?
Figgy: Get Clarko on the line - I see it reported he's been teaching Dimma how to play guitar
Intercom: warglesplub!
Figgy: Thanks Darlene - Oh and can I get a coffee delivered from the Cheeky Monkey?
Intercom: chelkytiykey?
Figgy: Yes please, where Dimma gets his coffee from.
Intercom: fnus.
Figgy: Thanks! Oh and order me a Tiger's 2020 training polo from the Superstore.
Intercome: shnegleworgfasin?
Figgy: Size XXL, thanks
:mhihi

Who's the new sponsor gonna be now that Holden's gone?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Judging by Jeep's dramatical fall in sale numbers maybe Jeep won't be able to afford any sponsorships in the near future.

I was keen to get a Grand Cherokee. But the number of recalls and horror stories scared me off them.
Been told they’ve been the most recalled car in Australia history.
Not surprised numbers are dwindling.

Shame, they look good

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
:mhihi

Who's the new sponsor gonna be now that Holden's gone?

Amazon. !
..... Heard Eddie being interviewed yesterday about potentially bringing back State of Origin in the future. ... he's such a forward thinker Ed.
Said it would be great, should have a carrnival and he kept saying ....
Sell the media rights for this separately and then he started mumbling because I think he realized he'd just done some deal with Amazon and he didn't want to appear to be conflicted!

I love Eddie, how he's always putting our interests first :rolleyes:

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
We can via a completely different method. During Hawks eras they traded early picks to top up the list for a another tilt (still doing this btw).
Our method was to keep the picks & do a mini rebuild via our depth, now these kids are starting to come through as our core gets older which should hold us in good stead for the future.

I guess the advantage of our method (keep picks / mini-renewal while successful) over Hawthorn’s method (trade early picks) is better transmission of culture and habits from the successful seniors to the next generation.

The disadvantage of continual renewal is you’re leaving a few chips off the table in any given year.

We’ve held a stable list profile for over 10 years now and it’s coincided with clear cultural advantages.

We have high retention and high interaction between seniors and future contibutors.

Is it naive to think we’re never going to face a traditional “rebuild” under this system?

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I guess the advantage of our method (keep picks / mini-renewal while successful) over Hawthorn’s method (trade early picks) is better transmission of culture and habits from the successful seniors to the next generation.

The disadvantage of continual renewal is you’re leaving a few chips off the table in any given year.

We’ve held a stable list profile for over 10 years now and it’s coincided with clear cultural advantages.

We have high retention and high interaction between seniors and future contibutors.

Is it naive to think we’re never going to face a traditional “rebuild” under this system?
Hard to think anyone can avoid it. 2 different ways to do it & we have seen the Hawks drop from contention it will be interesting to see how our longer term view goes.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

I think the club has the process right at the moment. Strong talent identification and picking the better options with out later picks. All good while we still have the stars in top form.

Now you are not going to score the absolute stars like Martin very often but we need to get more types of Cotchin's and Riewoldt's level.

Two ways to do this is through free agency like Lynch and the second by trading out surplus players for picks and then trading picks to get higher picks preferably top 10.

It will be interesting to see how the club negotiates the second path over the next 5 or so years. Ellis was the first of a number of established players that was forced out. There will be others as we see the kids mature. It would take something like trading out Caddy (only using Caddy as an example here) to get a 1st round pick. Then using that pick and our usual first round to move up into the top 10 picks