Can we create another Hawthorn era? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can we create another Hawthorn era?

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
With rance retiring, attracting another free agent this year will contribute to an extended premiership tilt. A top-level tall defender would be my preference.

The hawks did come from the bottom in 2004 when Clarkson was appointed (and we were so blessed to get wallet).

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
With rance retiring, attracting another free agent this year will contribute to an extended premiership tilt. A top-level tall defender would be my preference.

The hawks did come from the bottom in 2004 when Clarkson was appointed (and we were so blessed to get wallet).
Like Brian Lake, he was an inspired choice.

Reactions: 1 user

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Hawthorn of the 80’s succeeded in an amateur, stated league fuelled by steroids, allegedly.

Richmond’s era of success is subject to strict, Olympic standards of anti-doping in what has only recently become a professional, national sport.

Before we even consider the (many) arguments of equalisation, etc., it’s no wonder that Brereton et al. are easily triggered into defending their version of history at every opportunity.

The only Hawthorn era I’d probably aspire to surpassing is Clarkson’s era. However, they did benefit somewhat from suspension of equalisation measures during expansion team introduction.

Geelong’s 2007-2011 era is the greatest to the naked eye for mine. They did have Dank fuelling their training regime, and their coach was investigated for being a massive drug dealer, but there’s no clear asterisk on them.

Brisbane’s era was enhanced by lucky factors and only a semi-professional crackdown on dodgy practises, if that.

Richmond could very well become the first undisputed dynasty of the professional, national competition under strict, Olympic-standard testing for PEDs.

If you're going to put a question mark on the Hawks 76-91 then you have to asterix the Cats for similar reasons.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

I reckon we have another 2-3 years to win more flags, but we need to be careful how we go about it after that. Both Geelong and Hawthorn have tried to top up, which has left them competitive, but not serious flag contenders. They will have problems in the coming years by not developing enough kids and will probably wallow in mediocrity. I'm OK with chasing more free agents, but we need to retain our youth them and play them.

Reactions: 4 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
We have the youth and they are coming on nicely.

Our challenge is to work out ways of keeping them whilst they aren’t getting game time.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The kids coming through look promising. But we need the superstars to emerge.

Tom is Jack's replacement as the superstar power forward. We need one of the young kids to cement and become the back-line anchor. I think we have a plethora of midfielders and a couple will step into the superstar bracket.

If that happens this window is open for another 5 years

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Hard to predict what young guys will become but Dustin will be at his peak for the next two to three seasons so that is definitely the time to make hay.

One, two or three flags during those years will have this period into golden era phase, win three and it could be the best period by any team, ever.
Which is exactly why Rances retirement is so disappointing

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Hard to predict what young guys will become but Dustin will be at his peak for the next two to three seasons so that is definitely the time to make hay.

One, two or three flags during those years will have this period into golden era phase, win three and it could be the best period by any team, ever.
That's getting me into Big Kev territory @The Big Richo ..... I'm excited! (Hopefully not to the point where I end up like him tho.)

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We can via a completely different method. During Hawks eras they traded early picks to top up the list for a another tilt (still doing this btw).
Our method was to keep the picks & do a mini rebuild via our depth, now these kids are starting to come through as our core gets older which should hold us in good stead for the future.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I reckon we have another 2-3 years to win more flags, but we need to be careful how we go about it after that. Both Geelong and Hawthorn have tried to top up, which has left them competitive, but not serious flag contenders. They will have problems in the coming years by not developing enough kids and will probably wallow in mediocrity. I'm OK with chasing more free agents, but we need to retain our youth them and play them.
Just about there already. Both old codger teams ready for the pension cheque. Pricky's nothing but a cardboard coach given a silver platter while Clarko is getting old and burnt out IMO.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
IMO we need to keep adding youth as we have done during our time at the top. Preferring FA over trading to fill an urgent need.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We need to keep doing what we've been doing. A mix of youth and targeted trades.

Lynch, Caddy, Prestia, Nankervis all made us a better team. 3 of them were instrumental in our 2017 Premiership, the 4th kept us in the hunt so that we could challenge for the 2019.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
If Balta starts showing a bit this year in defence we may be best served having some cap space to pay our young guns a respectable pay increase. Loosing a future star by overpaying players from other clubs to join us would be fairly tragic. A lot seems to be resting on Baltas shoulders. We overlooked tailor to grab him and ccj.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Reckon we've been doing a brilliant job of blooding kids while in the finals window over recent years.
There was an article in the Hun a week or two ago as to why the Horse stayed as Sydaknee's coach rather than take the mega shekels to go coach #lolnorf.
Apart from the usual family grown up n happy in Sydaknee stuff, there was a chart showing the amount of games pumped into draftees since about the start of 2016.
Carlscum n Sydaknee both had over 700 games each pushed into the young fellas, followed by the Moggies n us with over 500 games pushed into the youngsters as from memory the top four sides bringing kids through n regrowing the team.
Rest of the clubs progressively lower n lower until #lolnorf bottom of the pile with less than 300 games into kids during this recent period.

While there's never any guarantee that the kids will keep progressing n completely take over from the aging stars we're at the very least giving plenty of our kids the opportunity to grow n develop along side our stars and very successful while we are doing it.

Reactions: 2 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
If Balta starts showing a bit this year in defence we may be best served having some cap space to pay our young guns a respectable pay increase. Loosing a future star by overpaying players from other clubs to join us would be fairly tragic. A lot seems to be resting on Baltas shoulders. We overlooked tailor to grab him and ccj.
The club did the right thing regarding the coaching changes by promoting from within the organisation. I have a feeling that they know they'll have to do the same with the players, hate to see a players like Vlasty, Goerge, Shai, Lambie et al leave over money.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We are currently ding a great job with developing our young talent. Not easy to maintain but here's hoping. A far cry from when we would pick up promising juniors and they would go nowhere, we just didn't have the ability to develop young players for a long time there.

I reckon the proposed redevelopment of Punt Rd is essential to stay ahead of the game.

DS

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Not totally comfortable discussing a possible Hawthorn-like era at this stage despite it being what we all want
Tend to think Hawthorn themselves weren’t talking that way when they’d “only” won the first two of theirs.