capital punishment..ivan milat..j.knight.p.dupas..and any other scum | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

capital punishment..ivan milat..j.knight.p.dupas..and any other scum

for or against.capital punishment

• for/pedophiles.murder/multiple rape

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • depends on evidence

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • for/murder only

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • totally against

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • certain crime.dna proof

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Disco08 said:
So where are you going to draw the line Liverpool? Caught on video camera? Because as you'd have seen if you read any of those people's stories, eye witness account, finger print analysis, hair samples, ballistics evidence have all been used as conclusive evidence to arrive at a false verdict. Corruption and incompetence also plays a part in some of these cases so who's to say that methods such as DNA evidence can be trusted? Look at NYT's link, thousands of cases using junk science as critical evidence.

well, there is no question regarding Julian Knight's case.....so why can't we top him?

IMO, as others have said, death is too lenient a punishment. Also, from a psychological point of view there would be a lot that could be learned from him, but that might take time.

What is ridiculous is that he is eligible for parole in 2014.

Disco08 said:

Best sentence you've typed all year... :clap

And this is also ridiculously soft as well:

Thousands of criminals beat jail with apology
November 21, 2007 12:00am
THOUSANDS of thieves, thugs and vandals are dodging convictions – and potential jail terms – by simply saying sorry.
Up to 12,600 offenders have apologised their way out of a criminal record over the past six years.
At least 8200 were made to pay compensation to their victims.
The conviction-free sentences are part of a $6 million scheme that aims to keep law-breakers away from court and out of prison.
Officials say it reduces re-offending, but critics say it encourages crooks to push their luck by offering soft options

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22793246-2862,00.html

poppa x said:
I think you are all missing the point.
Society has an obligation to set an example for how it wants its citizens to behave.
If Society thinks it acceptable to execute people, then killing becomes an OK thing to do.
I believe Society should demonstrate its abhorrence of murder by refusing to condone legal murder. We should not lower our standards no matter how high the temptation.

Is life in prison with no parole a higher standard than execution? At least execution can be carried out humanely and quickly.

What's more barbaric?

Liverpool said:
Agree with you all the way Captain! :clap

Disco,
We all know that there have been people who have been found innocent while either on death-row or after they have been executed.
What us "death penalty for scumbags" supporters are saying is that you use a punishment like this where there is NO doubt that you have the correct perp...for example, Julian Knight.
That way, there can't be a mistake, can there?

The problem with that livers is that a guilty verdict basically carries the same weight regardless of the supposed strength of the evidence.

And you can't make it on guilty pleas as the point of the guilty plea is to give the defendant a reduced sentence by reducing the time/resources/strain on the court system.

You are guilty or not guilty - there is no sliding scale for strength of evidence once you are found guilty.

This is the concept of reasonable doubt. If there is reasonable doubt about the prosecution's case you are found innocent, if the case is proved beyond reasonable doubt, you are found guilty.

Whether it's citizenship, indigenous issues, or the adversarial legal system you can pretty much guarantee Liverpool misunderstands it.

Disco08 said:
IMO, as others have said, death is too lenient a punishment. Also, from a psychological point of view there would be a lot that could be learned from him, but that might take time.

If one of the victims were a family member of mine, I'd want him to come out sooner and he'll find out what justice is.

Yep, that's pretty much claw's angle too. Like him, you'd go to jail then too, and your family would suffer as a consequence. Fantastic justice.

Disco08 said:
Yep, that's pretty much claw's angle too. Like him, you'd go to jail then too, and your family would suffer as a consequence. Fantastic justice.

Justice nevertheless.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Execution = humane and quick. :help

I never said that execution = humane and quick. I said it CAN be humane and quick. Doesn't mean it is necessarily so.

What is your alternative? Some here disagree with the death penalty as they consider it barbaric, but it's ok to send someone to jail for life without parole (not that that ever happens in this country), which is basically a death sentence anyway, just so they can be "raped by bubby" for the rest of their life.

So I'll ask the question again, what's more barbaric?

1eyedtiger said:
I never said that execution = humane and quick. I said it CAN be humane and quick. Doesn't mean it is necessarily so.

What is your alternative? Some here disagree with the death penalty as they consider it barbaric, but it's ok to send someone to jail for life without parole (not that that ever happens in this country), which is basically a death sentence anyway, just so they can be "raped by bubby" for the rest of their life.

So I'll ask the question again, what's more barbaric?

I agree, jail will cause them more suffering which is why I endorse it. Do you have pity for these people?

Also historically capital punishment was used because towns/cities lacked the ability to effectively detain the worst of the worst for life. We don't have that excuse now, with modern jails being much harder to break out of.

AFGHANISTAN, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA, BAHAMAS, BAHRAIN, BANGLADESH, BARBADOS, BELARUS, BELIZE, BOTSWANA, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CHAD, CHINA, COMOROS, CONGO (Democratic Republic), CUBA, DOMINICA, EGYPT, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, ETHIOPIA, GUATEMALA, GUINEA, GUYANA, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAN, IRAQ, JAMAICA, JAPAN, JORDAN, KAZAKSTAN, KOREA (North), KOREA (South), KUWAIT, LEBANON, LESOTHO, LIBYA, MALAYSIA, MONGOLIA, NIGERIA, OMAN, PAKISTAN, PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, QATAR, SAINT CHRISTOPHER & NEVIS, SAINT LUCIA, SAINT VINCENT & GRENADINES, SAUDI ARABIA, SIERRA LEONE, SINGAPORE, SOMALIA, SUDAN, SYRIA, TAIWAN, TAJIKISTAN, THAILAND, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, UGANDA, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UZBEKISTAN, VIET NAM, YEMEN, ZIMBABWE

All of the above just love a state sanctioned killing, like some of you. Some charming legal systems in that bunch I bet.

Now, is this some thing that that lot above and you capital punishment boys here is getting but the rest of the world just aint?

As for iran, last year they executed a 17year old woman for breaking 'chastity laws' when she was 16.

she was hung from a crane until she died.

1eyedtiger said:

If you said euthenasia could be humane I'd understand but how can execution possibly be humane?

glantone said:
AFGHANISTAN, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA, BAHAMAS, BAHRAIN, BANGLADESH, BARBADOS, BELARUS, BELIZE, BOTSWANA, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CHAD, CHINA, COMOROS, CONGO (Democratic Republic), CUBA, DOMINICA, EGYPT, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, ETHIOPIA, GUATEMALA, GUINEA, GUYANA, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAN, IRAQ, JAMAICA, JAPAN, JORDAN, KAZAKSTAN, KOREA (North), KOREA (South), KUWAIT, LEBANON, LESOTHO, LIBYA, MALAYSIA, MONGOLIA, NIGERIA, OMAN, PAKISTAN, PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, QATAR, SAINT CHRISTOPHER & NEVIS, SAINT LUCIA, SAINT VINCENT & GRENADINES, SAUDI ARABIA, SIERRA LEONE, SINGAPORE, SOMALIA, SUDAN, SYRIA, TAIWAN, TAJIKISTAN, THAILAND, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, UGANDA, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UZBEKISTAN, VIET NAM, YEMEN, ZIMBABWE

All of the above just love a state sanctioned killing, like some of you. Some charming legal systems in that bunch I bet.

Now, is this some thing that that lot above and you capital punishment boys here is getting but the rest of the world just aint?

Yes but of course murder, rape and other bad things never occur in these countries because they have the death penalty.. right?

antman said:
You are guilty or not guilty - there is no sliding scale for strength of evidence once you are found guilty.
This is the concept of reasonable doubt. If there is reasonable doubt about the prosecution's case you are found innocent, if the case is proved beyond reasonable doubt, you are found guilty.
Whether it's citizenship, indigenous issues, or the adversarial legal system you can pretty much guarantee Liverpool misunderstands it.

Well, if that is the case Antman....why do we have different sentences for murder?
Someone can shoot a person dead and get 20 years.....another person can shoot a person and get life with no parole.

antman said:
Yes but of course murder, rape and other bad things never occur in these countries because they have the death penalty.. right?

Who said anything about the death penalty as a deterrent?

I'm nto advocating the death penalty because I want to see it stop other would-be criminals from committing a horrific crime.....I am advocating it to get rid of someone who has already commited a barbaric crime.

No punishment will stop evil people.....but you can get rid of them.