Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carlton

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I am sure this thread will have me banned for life but I think Carlton are doing similar to what Hawthorn did when they drafted Buddy and Roughy and set up their spine for a decade while we continually draft and trade for midfielders/small forwards and half back flankers.
In the last 2 years alone and with Marchbank to come they will have:

Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Harry McKay
Lachie Plowman
Charlie Curnow
Jack Silvani

Pretty sue a spine will be built from that.

In comparison out the door for us goes Vickery and McBean and because of our lack of key position players we gave a very average Todd Elton a 2 year extension last year and a marginally better Astbury 3 years this year.

Well that's my take but fully expect to be howled down.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
caesar said:
I am sure this thread will have me banned for life but I think Carlton are doing similar to what Hawthorn did when they drafted Buddy and Roughy and set up their spine for a decade while we continually draft and trade for midfielders/small forwards and half back flankers.

Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Harry McKay
Lachie Plowman
Charlie Curnow
Jack Silvani

In comparison out the door for us goes Vickery and McBean and because of our lack of key position players we gave a very average Todd Elton a 2 year extension last year and a marginally better Astbury 3 years this year.

they are kidding themselves if they think taking offcuts from GWS is going to enable them to challenge them for the Flag

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
caesar said:

Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Harry McKay
Lachie Plowman
Charlie Curnow
Jack Silvani

Dount you could possibly be howled down for such an obvious observation.
Pretty sensible and straighforward strategy from SOS.
Talls take longer so get 'em drafted first.
Wish we had one - strategy that is.
And a SOS for that matter.

Texaspinksock

Tiger Rookie
Sep 2, 2016
You lost me at astbury being only marginally better then elton. But id agree our talls are a concern but can be fixed

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Jonesracing82 said:
they are kidding themselves if they think taking offcuts from GWS is going to enable them to challenge them for the Flag
Hardly think you can call a 19 year old, (Marchbank), that GWS don't want to lose an off cut but jury would be out on Plowman I suppose. Just saying there are midfielders everywhere you look but soooo hard to get a spine and we do not seem to be making it a priority.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
caesar said:
Hardly think you can call a 19 year old, (Marchbank), that GWS don't want to lose an off cut but jury would be out on Plowman I suppose. Just saying there are midfielders everywhere you look but soooo hard to get a spine and we do not seem to be making it a priority.
fair call, my point was no1 will compete with GWS with a Team that is basically GWS NEAFL team.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
At the end of 2011 Richmond was looking pretty good for key position talent too. We had a Coleman medalist in Riewoldt. Vickery had just had his best season (36 goals). We had a rapidly improving Rance and some very promising talls in Astbury and Griffiths. Sometimes things don't turn out like you planned.

Carltons strategy is sound but I'm less than convinced about the execution. In time they may even regret taking Weitering over Schache. A good key forward is worth more to the structure of a team than a good key defender.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
17 said:
Dount you could possibly be howled down for such an obvious observation.
Pretty sensible and straighforward strategy from SOS.
Talls take longer so get 'em drafted first.
Wish we had one - strategy that is.
And a SOS for that matter.

SOS? IMHO jury is still well and truly out on him. I could have followed Emma Quayle's picks if I was the Recruitment Manager at GWS and picked the same or better than him. Carlton will be his true test, and will make or break him.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Nico said:
SOS? IMHO jury is still well and truly out on him. I could have followed Emma Quayle's picks if I was the Recruitment Manager at GWS and picked the same or better than him. Carlton will be his true test, and will make or break him.

Started off pretty well in his first year of trading, including stitching us up beautifully with basket case Yarran.
And then drafted pretty well.
I'd prefer him running our show by a country mile vs the headless chooks at Punt Road that go for the fools gold every time.

asian tetley

Tiger Superstar
Jul 5, 2012
17 said:
Started off pretty well in his first year of trading, including stitching us up beautifully with basket case Yarran.
And then drafted pretty well.
I'd prefer him running our show by a country mile vs the headless chooks at Punt Road that go for the fools gold every time.

Yep.
Without doubt.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
caesar said:
which tall draftee has made a impact after leaving gws or gcs, seemingly they let go talent they dont rate.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Marchbank was a reach when SOS took him at pick 6, but he's a bargain in a swap for Zach Tuohy. Pickett for pick 45 is daylight robbery.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Carlton gave up a 2017 1st rounder for Marchbank which was then passed on to us for Deledio. Not really a bargain

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
jokershoppe said:
which tall draftee has made a impact after leaving gws or gcs, seemingly they let go talent they dont rate.
Josh Bruce and Jack Hombsch have done well so far. Tom Boyd looks like he may have turned the corner after his GF performance. Rest are pretty young so jury still out.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:
Marchbank was a reach when SOS took him at pick 6, but he's a bargain in a swap for Zach Tuohy. Pickett for pick 45 is daylight robbery.

Not sold on either of them Spooky. Thought Marchbank looked a bit robotic and slow at the top level. And for Pickett to not get a look in, says a lot. But the biggest stay way is Will Hoskin-Elliiot. Recon he is massively overrated and will disappoint the masses.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
King Kong said:
Carlton gave up a 2017 1st rounder for Marchbank which was then passed on to us for Deledio. Not really a bargain
But they swapped Tuohy for the first-rounder.

SCOOP said:
Not sold on either of them Spooky. Thought Marchbank looked a bit robotic and slow at the top level. And for Pickett to not get a look in, says a lot. But the biggest stay way is Will Hoskin-Elliiot. Recon he is massively overrated and will disappoint the masses.
Marchbank I am not sure on yet either, but he has time on his side. Pickett never got a chance. i know he didn't excel at NEAFL level, but I think he is one of those who is better at a higher level.

I hope I am wrong and all Carlton's GWS off-cuts are awful.