Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

B

Bill James

zippadeee said:
He was a coaches . Whoever selected him should go.
Doofus, Neeld and Watters are the worse coaches ever
Can't you remember Tim Watson?

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Tames said:
Didn't they swap first round picks with Geelong this year, or was it another team?

With Adelaide as part of getting Stocker. Carlton gave up this year's 1st round pick for Adelaide's 2018 pick 19 used on Stocker, and Adelaide's first this year

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
jb03 said:
Bolton was a massive part of the problem. Hawks were on auto pilot when he won games there.

Bit of the Alan Joyce about it actually. Joyce won a premiership coaching a Hawthorn team that could have coached themselves to a premiership. Then went to the bulldogs and struggled (25 wins, 33 losses - not as bad as Chuckles though!)

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Just when you thought the lunatics running the asylum couldn't get even crazier. ......... Gil the dill reckons this latest idea has merit... fmd!

Suppose they've gotta help the blues add to their flag tally somehow...!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-radical-proposal-to-overhaul-australian-football-records-back-to-1870/news-story/5d7d2dfe9efd2edbeae64c988a873a6f

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
aoc1974 said:
Just when you thought the lunatics running the asylum couldn't get even crazier. ......... Gil the dill reckons this latest idea has merit... fmd!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-radical-proposal-to-overhaul-australian-football-records-back-to-1870/news-story/5d7d2dfe9efd2edbeae64c988a873a6f

A similar proposal was mounted a few years ago by Colin Carter from Geelong and got knocked back by the AFL (he wanted to start from the beginning of the VFA in 1877).

It makes sense to me for the AFL, as the custodian of the game, to recognise those records. There are a few problems, e.g. records are too murky to establish accurate teams and even goalkickers for every match. Another anomaly is that behinds were only introduced in the early 1890's; prior to this, teams won e.g. 5 goals to 4.

Tables like this, in the Argus newspaper's 1901 Grand Final report, are typical of the era. There is no distinction made between pre-VFL and VFL premierships. This practice was carried forward to early editions of the Football Record.

24STaNO.jpg

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/9607485

If you look past the headline-grabbing "most premierships" sh!tfight, it makes sense to recognise records from this era of the game. Potentially a hell of a lot of work required on my database, though.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
willo said:
With Adelaide as part of getting Stocker. Carlton gave up this year's 1st round pick for Adelaide's 2018 pick 19 used on Stocker, and Adelaide's first this year

Got SOS finger prints all over it
But yet, he keeps his job.
Bravo.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
aoc1974 said:

I read it. Cartoon 22 flags......GAGF Gill.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
SOS and Lyon spotted having fish n chips in Lygon St. To discuss their pub in Fitzroy? What would Freo think of their coach giving a pub priority over their team's preparation for this weekend? Couldn't Ross just get a PDF of the number of beers poured and then Skype SOS about it?

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
aoc1974 said:

What they should do is retrospectively abolish the old “challenge” system where the team who finished on top after home and away, and lost the “grand final” could then challenge the team that beat them.
This would add about 3 or 4 flags to us, take a few from the pies, and eradicate their 4 flags in a row record in one fell swoop!
You know it makes sense

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
No way those flags should be counted.

What a joke.

This smells of another Geelol move to me.

What about the interstate sides?

Get *smile*ed.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
larabee said:
What they should do is retrospectively abolish the old “challenge” system where the team who finished on top after home and away, and lost the “grand final” could then challenge the team that beat them.
This would add about 3 or 4 flags to us, take a few from the pies, and eradicate their 4 flags in a row record in one fell swoop!
You know it makes sense

Sure has my full support ... and, I suspect, all of PREnders.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
How stupid, not to mention, if you are going to do this then surely any VFA Premierships won by current AFL Teams would have to count. Therefore, we get a couple more from pre-1908 VFA Days and I reckon Footscray and North might get more too (definitely Footscray, how about they count one for when they were VFA Premiers and played the VFL Premiers of the same year, and won).

While we're on the topic, let's count SANFL and WA(N)FL Premierships. I think you'll find Port Adelaide supporters enthusiastic about that one, not to mention all the Fremantle Premierships prior to whenever the Dockers joined the AFL.

If you really want to knock this crazy idea on the head just move some amendments to the proposal to include any Premierships won in a local competition prior to AFL membership and watch it sink like a stone.

The reality is that the AFL grew out of the VFL. Didn't come from anywhere else. The current premiership count is clear and not disputed. This crap gets anywhere and there will be alternate lists all over the place.

Looks like a headline looking for a story anyway, slow news day is it? Or maybe they're just flying a kite to see the reaction.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I note the pre-VFL submission contains copies of tables from the Football Record which I cited when arguing in favour back in 2011.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/push-to-include-vfa-flags-in-premiership-tallies.835963/post-21376496

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
1931 was the first year the finals made sense in vfl.
Top 4 play finals

Semi: 1V 2 (winner to GF ; loser to PF)
Semi 3.v 4 (winner to PF : loser eliminated)
Prelim (winner to GF: loser eliminated)
Grand final (winner is premier: loser is not).

From 1930 backwards the system was weird.
https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1930.html

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Anyone else hear, Malthouse bragging it was his decision to draft Patrick Cripps.
The bloke is losing it. Get over it.