CAsey on The Footy Show / Casey must go to revive Tigers by Caroline Wilson [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CAsey on The Footy Show / Casey must go to revive Tigers by Caroline Wilson [Merged]

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Casey coming up on TFS. Expect more drivel/cliches/excuses/acknowledgement of failure. I'm starting to think this guy is sending us backwards deliberately because he loves the publiciity. Seems like he is on TFS every week plus every other footy outlet.

Re: CAsey on The Footy Show

Casey was OK but we have a new club spokesman ...

Nathan Brown

slavinskisp said:
Casey was OK but we have a new club spokesman ...

Nathan Brown

I agree slavinskisp

He has really matured alot since leaving the Bulldogs

defiantly captain material

I missed the show did Casey say anything worth talking about?

btoz_01 said:
I missed the show did Casey say anything worth talking about?

nah same crap thats been dished out in the papers

we are moving forward, i stuffed up by appointing Campbell as CEO, Richmond need an experienced coach next year not a rookie and Danny Frawley fits into that criteria as he has had 5 yrs experience, but reading between the lines it wont be Danny, he just had to say that coz Danny was present and he had to drive him home.

WildTiger said:
He has really matured alot since leaving the Bulldogs

defiantly captain material

Defiantly?

Clearly also Brown wants to be in Bulger MD but Miller wont let him.  I'm sure he's proved his worth to the tigers by now.  Let him do it.

BTW, absolutely nothing new from Casey.  Don't fret those who missed it, just read Thurday's HUN.

Casey must go to revive Tigers

Comment
By Caroline Wilson
June 4, 2004

As the Richmond Football Club lurches from crisis to crisis and the frenzied debate regarding Danny Frawley's position rages, the truth is that the football public and the media are avoiding the most obvious conclusion. Which is that it is the president, Clinton Casey, who must go.

Frawley's card was marked long ago. Even when the Tigers flogged Collingwood in that deceptive round-one fixture at the MCG back in March, no one really expected the coach to survive beyond his fifth season.

That victory took the heat off Casey, whose board had been depleted when three directors walked out and who had promised substantial new blood but who has still failed to deliver.

Back then, The Age revealed the Tigers would lose $2 million, a prediction Casey rejected as a worst-case scenario but which now appears optimistic. This is the third consecutive - and the worst - financial loss by the club, which has hidden poor performances in recent years by adding fund-raising dollars on to its bottom line.

While true Tigers never doubted Casey's work ethic or physical commitment to the cause from the time he replaced Leon Daphne - and inherited Frawley and chief executive Mark Brayshaw - they questioned his emotional links to the club. He has admitted that the yellow and black does not occupy his heart the way it did that of his father, a diehard Tigers supporter, but that is not the worst of his misdemeanours - not by any means.

In recent days, Casey has hit the campaign trail. He has granted in-depth interviews with most newspapers and yet in doing so he has broken pledges, blamed pretty much everyone but himself for Richmond's current basket-case state and caused further damage along the way.

On Wednesday, Casey told The Australian that the Tigers would announce new three-year deals with the Transport Accident Commission and Motorola next month - agreements that would reap the club an extra annual $400,000.

Wrong! Motorola only ever agrees to one-year deals, although the company's managing director, Alan Nicklos, was invited to join the Tigers' board yesterday and is believed to have accepted. The TAC was so angry with Casey's inaccurate boast that it seems likely to be the final straw in its deliberations over renewing its relationship with AFL clubs. So, in a desperate bid to shore up members' support, Casey potentially has cost the club at least $600,000 a year.

The TAC is not the only unhappy stakeholder. Casey subtly blamed the AFL when he sacked Ian Campbell as chief executive last week, a move that has angered the AFL, which is questioning the difference between the president's public and private declarations.

Clearly, Richmond requires a financial lifeline. The club was so desperate for money at the start of the year that it ditched an agreement with Collingwood to share round-one gate takings - via email with only several days' notice. The Magpies have taken their business and massive crowds elsewhere.

One reason director Brendan Schwab resigned was Casey's move to push through last year's club accounts without the full approval of the board.

Casey also has spoken in recent days about Frawley's future and the need for an experienced coach. This despite his pledge at the start of the year not to discuss the coaching position until after round 22.

He has mentioned both Brayshaw's and Campbell's shortcomings without taking responsibility for the disaster that now engulfs the club. He has neglected to mention the fact that he himself was acting chief executive for more than six months until May last year.

Yet he is trying to force through another quick appointment in Leighton Wood. Casey has been president for almost five years and still in recent days he blames the past.

It is not good enough to say there is no heir apparent. Casey, clearly, can attract no one to the board at this stage and should announce as soon as possible a spill of all positions.

For the good of a club that Casey never truly understood - for all that he tried - the president must depart as quickly and cleanly as possible.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/03/1086203569565.html

Excellent summation, Caro. See, you can do it if you try ;)

Come on, challengers - we're waiting to see what you've got.

Viva le Revolution !

Caro is full of it. Bags Casey for making an inaccurate statement about Motorola when Casey has just appointed the Managing Director as new director of the RFC. This according to what Nicklos says himself sures up the Motorola sponsorship and bring a new sponsor on board.

Caro is like a lot of "true" Richmond people wants to *smile* about the way the Club is going but doesn't want to put their hand up to actually get involved.

The campaign by Caroline Wilson to get rid of CC is naked and clear now. Unfortunately this is not her best work, and barely conceals a personal dislike for Casey.
On one hand she says that he has "failed to deliver" new board members, and then announces that a new board member has been appointed later in the article ???

Whatever you think of the appointments, that makes 2 out of 3 positions replaced Caro, doesn't it? I wonder whether Caro was one of those who criticised Casey for so quickly twisting Anthony Mithen's arm?

Then she announces that Casey is wrong about new sponsorship deals. Surely that is yet to be seen — I think both Casey and Caro have been more than a little hasty to announce anything about new sponsorships.

As far as I understand it, it is a legal requirement that the money raised by the JD Foundation be included in the consolidated revenue of the RFC and Social Club. It isn't included to hide operating losses — how could it, when it is so clear from the financial statements exactly how much money is raised by the Foundation? It is hardly a financial fiddle when all a third grader has to do is deduct one figure from another to establish a true picture of operating performance.

While Caro's final conclusion may be correct, this is a very poor piece of vindictive "journalism". Is she unhappy that Casey gave an interview with the Hun, and not The Age? Certainly appears that way.

I just heard the new board guy Nicklos interviewed by KB on SEN.He talked more of how RFC could help Motorola than than the other way :( Mentioned that even with all our our negative exposure it was good for business! Guess they'll be billionares by 2005 then.
He didn't actually offer anything positive about A:
His contribution to RFC board matters
or B:
Any long term commitment from motorola either!
Reiterated that the company globally only commits to 12 month sponsorships.
He claims to be a Richmond fan,but from what l heard he doesn't know much about the game.
My summary would be Casey has appointed him to secure future business from Motorola and obtained another board member who'll not rock his boat in his dictatorial presidency

struggletown3121 said:
He claims to be a Richmond fan,but from what l heard he doesn't know much about the game.
My summary would be Casey has appointed him to secure future business from Motorola and obtained another board member who'll not rock his boat in his dictatorial presidency

Struggler,

Yeah he is a Richmond fan. One of my mates whose a Corporate sponsor introduced me to him last season.

To put it bluntly, I thought he was a bit of a nuffy, yelling out and carrying on at the players. Not what i expected.

Still, I guess he doesn't wave a silly flag like one of our failed Board aspirants from last season. ;D

struggletown3121 said:
I just heard the new board guy Nicklos interviewed by KB on SEN.He talked more of how RFC could help Motorola than than the other way :( Mentioned that even with all our our negative exposure it was good for business! Guess they'll be billionares by 2005 then.
He didn't actually offer anything positive about A:
His contribution to RFC board matters
or B:
Any long term commitment from motorola either!
Reiterated that the company globally only commits to 12 month sponsorships.

Sounds like the guy knows less about football then what Casey does. Which probably suits Casey as it makes him look and feel superior in a world were he doesn’t belong.

struggles, Nicklos is a MD of the phone devision of Motorolla, you don't get there by having no idea. He will provide business nouse to the board.

What do you want new board members to say "They are going to shake up the world" ... no one even in the large corporate world would come out and do that if they are simply a director (just like AFL players they say what they have to, not neccesarily the truth but not lies)

Still, I guess he doesn't wave a silly flag like one of our failed Board aspirants from last season.  ;D

Would that be the same bloke that is happy for a successful businessman or successful coach of any sporting code to coach RFC next year??!!!

Would that be the same bloke that is happy for a successful businessman or successful coach of any sporting code to coach RFC next year??!!!

That's the one Struggler

slavinskisp said:
struggles, Nicklos is a MD of the phone devision of Motorolla, you don't get there by having no idea. He will provide business nouse to the board.

What do you want new board members to say "They are going to shake up the world" ... no one even in the large corporate world would come out and do that if they are simply a director (just like AFL players they say what they have to, not neccesarily the truth but not lies)

Hey SlovakianSkip,

Have you met Nicklos and if so, what were your impressions of him?

he didn't impress me, but I'm a critical bastard.

The Boss said:

That's the one Struggler

Boss,your on the inside down there aren't you?
I put out lots of fires last year,and l restored my Mustang really well in my spare time.
Could you give Greg Miller my C.V please?
;D