Casey Stands firmly behind Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Casey Stands firmly behind Frawley

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Form todays Herald Sun 12/8/03

Casey stands firm behind Frawley
12 August 2003 AFL
By MARK ROBINSON

RICHMOND president Clinton Casey last night was unwavering in his support for embattled coach Danny Frawley.

Looking for answers: Danny Frawley takes a back-seat stance at Richmond's training session yesterday.
Picture: Colleen Petch

On the day Frawley and acting skipper Matthew Richardson apologised to supporters for Richmond's performance against St Kilda on Saturday night, Casey said the club's stand on Frawley was unequivocal.

"I'm telling you, he will be coaching the club next year," he said.

Acknowledging supporter angst after a dismal 19 rounds – at both Frawley and the players – a passionate Casey said the 80-point loss to the Saints did nothing but steel the resolve of those in charge.

"Saturday night was a huge disappointment, by far the worst performance these guys have put in all year, but there's absolutely no doubt we're on the right track and you will see that," he said.

"What needs to happen is we need to control a steady ship and show that to the supporters for once.

"We don't have to tell Richmond people anything, they are sick of hearing it, what we've got to do is to keep good people in the right spots for enough time to get this club up. The supporters have heard it all for 20 years, what they want is to be shown it.

"As a club we've tried short-term cuts, tried sacking coaches, you try to re-do a coaching department who has got no understanding of the list, and where does that leave you?

"The performance on the weekend only highlighted the fact we're on the right track, and we will get it done."

At the end of the season the Tigers will undertake an extensive review of the club, headed by football director Greg Miller.

And despite recent appointments, including a new CEO Ian Campbell, Miller and Greg Hutchison as football director, Casey believes further improvements can be made off-field.

"Every thing that needs to be done has been identified," he said, although not elaborating, "and there are a number of areas that need to be addressed.

"With the new group and with the experience already around, it has allowed us to sit back and look at every aspect of the club.

"We've still got a lot of improvement, not just in the list and the players we need, the gaps we've got, but I think they are improvements we need to make in player conditioning and intensity of what we do and they will be made.

"And we need to view it with a calm head.

"You're never going to make those changes mid-season, short term. They have to be programmed into the place for next year.

Yesterday, Frawley and Richardson fronted the media to acknowledge the disappointing effort on Saturday night.

It's believed the leadership group also met yesterday to discuss the remainder of the season, which features games against Essendon, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn.

"We wanted to make sure that the supporters and members knew from the coach down to the boot-studder that it wasn't good enough," Frawley said.

Richardson, who performed below standard, said: "We have pride in our performance. The boys want to make it up to the supporters."

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
oops sorry everyone I didn't realise that this story had been posted under another thread. (Sorry Newman)

I must have been all excited about being the main sporting story of the morning. I love it when we are in the papers ;D

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
"The performance on the weekend only highlighted the fact we're on the right track, and we will get it done."

Didnt the major of Hiroshima say this in August 1945!!!

Or did the Iraqi information minister hold a similar view?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The way i see it is, that if they do bring the broom out, and get rid of all the deadwood and replace them with young draft picks, this time next year we will be in a similar position. That being the case after 5 years of no success spud's position would be untenable.

If they go for a couple of kids like this year and the rest come from players from other clubs; well they haven't listened to us and there should be a revolt.

Either way it's like shuffling deck chairs on the titantic, spud will be gone either at the end of this year or the end of next season.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Good point tigerman.

I can only speak for myself but I'm willing to suffer poor performances next year IF we are bringing through 6 - 8 kids. What I won't tolerate is trading for established players then losing 8 in a row mid season again.

Maltese_Tiger

Glory Days Again
Feb 11, 2003
Australia
It is good that our President supports Danny, but why not support this conviction by extending his contract to the end of the 2006 season. We have been told by all at RFC that Danny is the man and they are in the know, then have the courage to really support him by extending his contract.

To keep him on for one year will only mean the same old story of quick fixes. Now that all the issuses caused by previous administrators are no longer relevant the club has the chance to move forward. Make a strong statement and hire Danny for three years.

If you dont have this conviction then you must stop the rot and replace him immediately before any hope that is left disappears.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I just can not believe these are the guys who run our club- do we go out of our way to find idiots?!!!
Can someone from this forum, obviously a Victorian, please offer to stand for the board? I am with you, and so are many members who would like to see the club run by someone with an idea of what Australian Rules Football is, and a memory of what it was like to be a success.
Casey- I didn't much care either way until today, but you are not from the soul of Richmond. Welcome back to planet Earth, you have missed quite a bit.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I am applying Hutstar. The jobs in the bag I reckon. At least I can look at things from both side of the fence and will say it as I see it, not how the club dictates I think.

Vote 1 rosy. ;D

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Posted by: rosy3 Posted on: Today at 10:21:10am
I am applying Hutstar. The jobs in the bag I reckon. At least I can look at things from both side of the fence and will say it as I see it, not how the club dictates I think.

Vote 1 rosy.

The next P.R.E. administrator would have big shoes to fill rosy ;D