Cashless Society !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cashless Society !!

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's an interesting trend. There are now smaller stores that don't accept cash. I'm so used to tapping to buy stuff that the last time I pulled cash out of an ATM (about 3 months ago), it's still there, untouched. Actually, I rarely bring my wallet with me these days (and got caught at a new popup that only accepted cash!).

If it's legal tender, it needs to be accepted. Though won't be long before we see a Cash surcharge to go along with the Credit Card surcharge

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Obviously an old fart so I'm way more comfortable with smelly old folding stuff in hand rather than tap n go. Laugh my arse off every time technology has a brain fart and the world stops happening because people all of a sudden can't survive when tech fails for a couple of hours. Always carry some folding stuff in the back of the wallet, just in case. Some of it has been hiding there since before covid, because yes it's simple and convenient as buggery to just tap the plastic n wander off into the sunset, but if I really need to, I've got shekels available.
Still reckon there's a few things that tech simply can't beat. Actually getting smelly grubby old folding stuff in the hand on pay day rather than looking online into the bank account to make sure the bastards have paid me. Reading a proper book or even newspaper instead of online down loads

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I way prefer cash and a lot of the shops I regularly go to know me as the person who always pays cash. I find it very ridiculous when they say they won't accept cash and then charge a surcharge for using a card, they can go jump. If they won't accept cash, I'll use the card, and never go back there again.

Cash is legal tender and there should be no option to refuse cash as payment.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I came across a ridiculous situation last week. I stop off at a servo on my way to work to grab the paper early in the morning. It gives me a chance to offload some shrapnel. The past few weeks they had a sign saying their cash register wasn’t working properly so couldn’t accept cash and need to use card only. It’s been weeks so I can only assume it’s a *smile* excuse to go cashless. Anyway, I rock up one morning last week, it was when we had that spectacular lightning storm that morning. It must have knocked out their systems. I went in and grabbed the paper, had my card out ready to pay. The attendant said their eftpos wasn’t working. No worries I said, I had the exact change for the paper. Sorry, we can’t accept cash……..WTF! I repeated, I have the EXACT change for the paper. No dice. In the meantime, a few cars were filling up their tanks. I don’t know how they were expected to pay

• Haha
  • Wow

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I think we should have a choice in all circumstances to pay cash of use debit.

At markets and small business I look to use a bit of cash. It helps the small business get ahead with a bit of money under the table.

Also it’s always good to get a tradie to do a few cash jobs if you’re the one getting a discount.

Also younger kids need to learn to count money and appreciate the $$$$. It’s a pathway for them to have some common sense and appreciate that money is usually earned and not to be squandered.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I guess one positive of a cashless store is that there is a lot less chance of someone trying to rob it. Safer for the employees, especially those on the graveyard shift.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Like every other technologically based solution we add to society that we become reliant on. A cashless society adds yet another layer of complexity to the fragile house of cards our entire society is built on.

People are no more sophisticated than mozzies to a blue light with many technological solutions. So much hubris, with total ignorance of the immense cost. That being, the exponential fragility added to our entire being.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I guess one positive of a cashless store is that there is a lot less chance of someone trying to rob it. Safer for the employees, especially those on the graveyard shift.
To a point. Worked a couple of places, under a cash regime, albeit a long time ago n there was always a cash drop box in a cupboard under or beside the till. Simply a matter of lacka band or little plastic baggy n get the folding out of the till on a regular basis n burgurgulars can have what little is sitting in the till if things get ugly.
There's a little take away food joint just round the corner from me where I'm happy to grab a weekend lunch time snack sometimes. Till sits at easy eye n hand level and the place is pure cash and flat out on weekends. Bloody till gets near to overflowing with folding stuff and I simply shake my head at the thought of a small family business getting ripped off, but sometimes it's simply a matter of looking after yourself a bit instead of advertising that you'd be easy meat for any *smile* to rip you off.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Happy to move to a cashless economy tomorrow.

- Dirty
- Black market
- Tax dodgers

Only worry is an over reliance on technology but we're there already so may as well go the whole hog.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010

- Dirty
- Black market
- Tax dodgers

Only worry is an over reliance on technology but we're there already so may as well go the whole hog.
I am guilty of the middle one. If you are not guilty of any of these you must live in a Jesuit Monastery.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I came across a ridiculous situation last week. I stop off at a servo on my way to work to grab the paper early in the morning. It gives me a chance to offload some shrapnel. The past few weeks they had a sign saying their cash register wasn’t working properly so couldn’t accept cash and need to use card only. It’s been weeks so I can only assume it’s a *smile* excuse to go cashless. Anyway, I rock up one morning last week, it was when we had that spectacular lightning storm that morning. It must have knocked out their systems. I went in and grabbed the paper, had my card out ready to pay. The attendant said their eftpos wasn’t working. No worries I said, I had the exact change for the paper. Sorry, we can’t accept cash……..WTF! I repeated, I have the EXACT change for the paper. No dice. In the meantime, a few cars were filling up their tanks. I don’t know how they were expected to pay
leave the change on the counter and walk out its legal tender and you paid for it.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Read an article recently that did say Milenials and gen Z do use cash for two types of transactions.

Buying recreational drugs and paying for sexual services. Don’t think you’ll get people converting over to electronic payments for either of those activities.

Not sure the local drug dealer or the lady at the massage shop taking payment for “extra services” are carrying around their little white mobile swiping device.

Last edited:
  • Haha

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

- Dirty
- Black market
- Tax dodgers

Let's not forget outages (ala Optus). IMO, cash will never die.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If the banks ever go down for a significant period you won't be getting cash out either, lest you keep it under the mattress. Even then the place will be total chaos.

This is a good point and 1 to look at terrorism and how they are really dumb. Why focus so much on killing people etc, if their aims are to take down western society, then cyber attacks are the only way to really do it. Take the banking system down and our society as it stands will fall into chaos very quickly indeed.