Cashless Society !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cashless Society !!

I still don't get why some restaurants bill you with a surcharge fee when paying by card. I would've thought paying by cash would trigger the fee.

Happy to move to a cashless economy tomorrow.

- Dirty
- Black market
- Tax dodgers

Only worry is an over reliance on technology but we're there already so may as well go the whole hog.

Im dirty and black market,

But pay tax scrupulously by the book.

cash is king.

The big bank I have banked with for nearly 70 years sent me a email yesterday to say my Safe Deposit Parcel's annual fee has gone up to $120 from $88.00. Why I suppose it cost them $32.00 to send me the email. As an aside not once over the 70 years the miserable ungrateful lot have never thanked me for being a customer. I shall pen off to the Head Honcho what I think of their unreasonable rise.

Most of those businesses though have moved away from "cash under the table" due to the implementation of POS systems. The amount of cafes / butchers etc now that have POS systems is huge. They've all realised that the small amount they could make by taking cash under the table is more than offset by the benefits that a POS system brings in, in terms of buying the right stock, the control stock control processes etc.

If we are talking about correct tax distribution (and its been raised on several threads), tax avoidance by tradies is probably 1 of the bigger ones. When you see tradies driving around in top of the range cars with declared incomes less than $80k the you know there is something wrong.
Yeh POS are big now but you overstate their use in my experience (in smaller businesses anyway). Businesses have always had POS systems (cash registers). And if the POS sytem is not setup or used properly the data is essentially useless.

Not many small businesses have the time/resources to use the data properly. And there are still plenty that don't process the cash transactions through their POS. Or cancel it after the cash is produced.

A huge problem is many never really know how much they were actually making as they didn't keep a great record of the cash transactions and would simply pocket it and use it for holidays/big private purchases (TV's etc)

There is always an issue when these small business came to sell - all of a sudden their turnover was actually X and they want a new set of numbers prepared for prospective buyers.

Im dirty and black market,

But pay tax scrupulously by the book.

cash is king.
In my experience no one declares all their cash and those that say they do are lying.

Not many even record their cash income anywhere.

I reckon a lot of folks just like cash just so their better half can't see what they spent it on when the credit card rolls in.:LOL:

I find having a cheeky Revolut credit card is also handy to shield the other half from seeing how much her presents cost....

Reactions: 1 user
With that said it’s a business’ choice if they are cashless or not.

Not really.

Cash is legal tender in Australia and all of its territories.

Technically they can't refuse cash, but, who is going to challenge a shop legally for a $5 transaction? No-one as it makes no sense. Also, if you complain it is the employee who gets the grief, and they didn't decide to go cashless.

As for the notion that we shouldn't pay tradies in cash because they will then avoid tax, I don't get it. Didn't Honest John who introduced the regressive GST tell us it would wipe out the black economy? You telling me he was lying? OMG!

DS

In my experience no one declares all their cash and those that say they do are lying.

Not many even record their cash income anywhere.
I do and always have 34 years in retail. I'm offended of course but I know plenty of people have your opinion and plenty of people don't declare all of their cash and plenty of people generalize about no one doing lots of things.

Not really.

Technically they can't refuse cash, but, who is going to challenge a shop legally for a $5 transaction? No-one as it makes no sense. Also, if you complain it is the employee who gets the grief, and they didn't decide to go cashless.

As for the notion that we shouldn't pay tradies in cash because they will then avoid tax, I don't get it. Didn't Honest John who introduced the regressive GST tell us it would wipe out the black economy? You telling me he was lying? OMG!

DS
RE is right. Businesses can legally refuse cash transactions, as long as that policy is advertised (say, a sign in the window or at POS) before a transaction takes place.

But it doesn’t make sense to refuse when their electronic system is out. Just dumb

yeah, while the billionaires scrupulously declare every Monaco and Caymen Is. asset.

cash isn't about dodging tax to me.

its about keeping it simple, self-governing my life and economy, and reducing the opportunity for other less useful, richer people to skim off their cut.

plus a roll of green notes in your shirt pocket feels heaps better too me than a few zero's on a smart phone.

cash is king.

I go to the ATM most weeks and withdraw $500 bucks and put it in my wallet.

when its full, I'm rich, when its empty, I'm broke.

my concept of afterpay is the pub on a Thursday arvo.

if I did get scammed, I can run after them with a No.7 boomerang I keep in my ute.

and if some Russian teenager did manage to steal my identity, I think they'd have a nervous breakdown.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Cafe near home went cashless, then imposed a service charge to use cards.
Cash was pretty quickly re-instated once people voted with their feet, and went to the opposition.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Cafe near home went cashless, then imposed a service charge to use cards.
Cash was pretty quickly re-instated once people voted with their feet, and went to the opposition.

I ordered 2 margaritas at a flash new bar in perth the other day and handed the barman a $50.

He goes 'um sorry, but we dont accept cash'

'Thats absolutely no worries' i smiled 'cause i accept margaritas any way they come'

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What I hate is the increase in these pub/restaurants where you have to order via the QR code on your table.
Then they have the *smile* nerve to ask if you want to leave a tip! What, for the privilege of them not employing wait staff?
I choose the GAGF option

Reactions: 5 users
This is everything that's wrong with cash.
Why are tradies exempt from paying tax like the rest of us cause they want to do untraceable cash jobs?
They use the same roads, the same hospitals, the same schools that tax payers do but they want their cake & eat it too.
Then they double dip at tax time.
It's a scam.
Nah ditch it so the tradies pay their fair share of tax like everyone else.
Sorry if this annoys some here but annoys me that it's just an accepted part of Australian culture.
As old man Packer once said, not a precise quote but the gist is there, Your a fool if you don't minimise your taxable income as much as possible, 'coz why the *smile* should I give you bastards ( Govt ) my money to waste.

What I hate is the increase in these pub/restaurants where you have to order via the QR code on your table.
Then they have the *smile* nerve to ask if you want to leave a tip! What, for the privilege of them not employing wait staff?
I choose the GAGF option
Yeah. That's been the worst thing to come out of the Covid period (well, ignoring the thousands of deaths etc). Hate having to scan and order when seated at a restaurant. Very tempted to create a QR code that waiters can scan and i'll take to a website with a pointed message. But it's not their fault either I guess.

Not really.

DS

100% it’s a business choice not to accept cash.

It’s happening now. Businesses are making that choice.

QED.

But we are just arguing technicalities.

It’s not illegal and as you say I doubt anyone is going to pay lawyers to retrospectively force a business to take cash so they can buy something. So it’s pretty moot.

Customers will vote with their feet if they do or don’t like it.
If there is an extended outage of cashless payments for whatever reason (maybe when the power in Melbourne becomes super unreliable in 2027) we will see businesses change their mind pronto.