Cat B rookies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cat B rookies

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
tigertim said:
Yeah, they’re long shots. Still think if you went and got a Gibbons or a Mitch Grigg your odds would be better.

Speaking of Mitch Grigg , The Hawks would be mad not to give this kid a run now that Mitchell is out all season

Perfect player for them to give a shot

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
It's a free hit!!

Rucks and talls are very hit miss as it is. Why not take a free hit?

Hugh Greenwood a major success. Matthew Owies at Carlton this year, worth the punt, not a 200 cm giant either.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Agreed Scoop,a “Free Hit”.
A tall or two from outside the Draft & the AFL seem supportive of clubs Cross Code poaching.
So why not a Basketballer or two from the US of A .We have the Development Coaches & the Coin to make it happen.
All we need is a Strategic Plan,one of our recruiters to make it his project & of course take one for the Team by Flying to the US to interview,screen test etc,.
We’re now the “Big Dog” of the AFL,Biggest Membership of any Sporting Club in the Country,Premiership Pre-Post Favourite.As “Balloo”says “...the fear and loathing is back”,.
So let’s leverage the dominance,get on the front foot,make it happen Richmond.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Cat B rookies are very very long shot unless they have some afl backround
you will always get the odd 1 that is good but i would guess its less than 10% at best and most likely less than 5%

There was a kid who's name i have forgotten for the moment thats selected cricket that was a good afl player, He is the kid we should be investing time ino getting as a Cat B

Will Sutherland that was his name

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
turk-d-tiger said:
Cat B rookies are very very long shot unless they have some afl backround
you will always get the odd 1 that is good but i would guess its less than 10% at best and most likely less than 5%

There was a kid who's name i have forgotten for the moment thats selected cricket that was a good afl player, He is the kid we should be investing time ino getting as a Cat B

Will Sutherland that was his name

Sutherland was touted as a top 10 draft pick before he decided on cricket.

Do your research and go for it. A lot of top 10 tall draft picks don't make it so if you can grab some project talls who have played football before they decided to go another way, why wouldn't you take a free swing? No brainer for me.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
I agree t-d-t Cat B rookies are a long shot.
our Draft system is designed to penalise the successful teams,so we need to be innovative,or be rendered irrelevant.
We need a mix of strategies:Astute Nat/Rookie drafting,.Free Agency & Cat B Rookies.We shouldn’t be ruling anything out & should be proactively pursuing recruitment options that provides us with an edge.
I remember years ago Garry Lyon recounting that for the first 3 years Jim Stynes was absolutely hopeless.
We all know he won a Brownlow.
It gets back to identifying the right sort of character,somebody with the determination to give it his best shot & for Richmond to provide the coaching expertise,support and patience to get a Win/Win result for the player & the Club.
These outcomes don’t happen overnight,it’s a slow process that requires detailed planning and requires an energetic, project type oversight by Recruiting/Player Development.
There would be a 3-4 year lead time then a production line of athletic talls.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Brimmy said:
I agree t-d-t Cat B rookies are a long shot.
our Draft system is designed to penalise the successful teams,so we need to be innovative,or be rendered irrelevant.
We need a mix of strategies:Astute Nat/Rookie drafting,.Free Agency & Cat B Rookies.We shouldn’t be ruling anything out & should be proactively pursuing recruitment options that provides us with an edge.
I remember years ago Garry Lyon recounting that for the first 3 years Jim Stynes was absolutely hopeless.
We all know he won a Brownlow.
It gets back to identifying the right sort of character,somebody with the determination to give it his best shot & for Richmond to provide the coaching expertise,support and patience to get a Win/Win result for the player & the Club.
These outcomes don’t happen overnight,it’s a slow process that requires detailed planning and requires an energetic, project type oversight by Recruiting/Player Development.
There would be a 3-4 year lead time then a production line of athletic talls.

Bingo. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Dont Argue said:
And is currently injured with back fractures
Just what he'd need to help transition from cricket to footy, stress fractures in his back.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Trouble is they are not cheap - and takes up plenty of resources from the club - with the spending cap, its still a strategic decision on where to put your dollars.

I thought SS was a good risk to take, possiblely wont make it and love to be proved wrong but worth the risk

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Tom Wilson 194cm point guard who played for the Boomers two months ago will sign with Collingwood or Geelong, we aren’t even getting a mention.

Missing out here, it’s a free hit.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
SCOOP said:
Tom Wilson 194cm point guard who played for the Boomers two months ago will sign with Collingwood or Geelong, we aren’t even getting a mention.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Unless we have another player earmarked for the Cat B spot?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
SCOOP said:

it feels like we don't even try. i think we had a crack at cox, but can't recall too many others... especially the irish.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Ian4 said:
it feels like we don't even try. i think we had a crack at cox, but can't recall too many others... especially the irish.
We had a crack at Cox n missed. We had some Irish a few years ago, woftam as he went home. We've got Soldo n he's not exactly setting the world on fire. Could be that we're not overly interested in rummaging to deeply into an area that's very much pure arse n speculation.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We got Soldo for nothing.

Only because he was Ivy’s cousin.

We should go again. Every year.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
So we've gone with half a dozen Cat B rookies n big Soldo is the most successful one we've had so far. Mighty slim pickings for the time, energy n money to this point.