Changes against Bulldogs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes against Bulldogs

Chol is the lingering legacy of Francis Jacksons love of athletic but soft big men , mcjesus , putt , vickery , griffiths etc...

For me, the most pressing issue is we have to play a third marking option. Doesn't worry me if it is CCJ or Chol or even Caddy but we have to have someone to engage the opposition and stop them going plus one in the air against Riewoldt and Lynch.

We had the same situation last year and as soon as we started playing the third option, the forward issues were resolved.

If you allow a player like Lever to have Castagna or Aarts, then they will chop you up in the air all night, regardless of how defensive they try and be.
So this. My kingdom for a peak Brett Deledio clone as a third forward right now.

Reactions: 1 users
For me, the most pressing issue is we have to play a third marking option. Doesn't worry me if it is CCJ or Chol or even Caddy but we have to have someone to engage the opposition and stop them going plus one in the air against Riewoldt and Lynch.

We had the same situation last year and as soon as we started playing the third option, the forward issues were resolved.

If you allow a player like Lever to have Castagna or Aarts, then they will chop you up in the air all night, regardless of how defensive they try and be.
Enter J Townsend

Reactions: 3 users

I think its the only way we can beat the Dogs with our mids out. We need to maximise the return on the ball in our F50 which certainly hasn't been our strength.

They are likely to line up similar to Melbourne. Cordy on Jack, Keath on Lynch and Wood playing the same role as Lever. We need to ensure that Wood is tied up with someone, preferably taller whether that is Chol or CCJ. We have an opportunity through the ruck too, as I think Nank should beat Martin and run him off his legs around the ground, but if we bomb into a 2 on 2 with Jack and Lynch close to each other and allow Wood to go 3rd man up then we are in for a long night on Friday.

For me, the most pressing issue is we have to play a third marking option.
This is dead right but doesn't it go further?

A game plan that is based around the bomb to 20m out is absolutely going to come unstuck against a good marking team, which Melbourne is. I mean, Lever, May, Tomlinson and Gawn/Jackson is going to at least neutralise the high ball. It's their bloody one wood and we gifted them intercept after intercept. 60 F50 entries for a pathetic return of 48 points. An awful stat.

So, why play that way with just the two marking targets? It's got me beat.

From this week, we need to see a third marking tall or a forward half plan that brings our smalls into the game.

For all the talk about the 'greatness' of Melbourne's on-ballers, I thought Nank matched Gawn and each of Graham, Edwards and Bolton held their own against Petracca, Oliver and Viney.

But what happened in the forward half was a car crash.

Reactions: 7 users
Need to promote Caddy and plant him at Full forward leaving Jack and Lynch to spread.

The Big Richo is absolutely right! We had more entries into 50 than Melbourne; it was just that so many were very poor. This has been our biggest weakness all season. I think we need to give CCJ a go - also gives us the added bonus of a better 2nd ruck. We should win in the ruck against the dogs which is imperative as our midfield against them will be challenged without Lambert and Martin.

Changes: Assuming Grimes is fit.
Outs: Martin, Lambert (injured), Aarts
Ins: Ross, CCJ, RCD,
*Wouldn't be opposed to a Rioli swap!

Notes: Bolton full time into the guts (Starting 4 - Nank, Edwards, Cotch, Bolton) (Ross, RCD, Pickett, CCJ, (maybe Baker) to cycle through)
Balta lock down role on Naughton, Astbury to Bruce - try to free up Grimes a bit more)
Jack and Lynch to player higher - CCJ Deeper (but should rotate roles) - Including CCJ to be marking option on wing - another weakness that has been constant.

Give Rioli or George a negating role on Daniel - don't want him getting the ball out of defence.

Reactions: 1 user
when the midget piñata pops, we're too tall,

when it stays intact, we're too short.

if Lynch and Jack are getting double teamed,

George should be kicking 5

I think the problem is the contents of the piñata.

I think we need some dazzle in there. a bag of whizz fizz to go with 2 cobbers.

I don't need to spell out who the whizz fizz is.

and if the whizz fizz hasn't learnt the running patterns yet, then how will the back pocket know where the hell to go?

Last edited:
  • Love
Big rumour
Dusty out, Deledio In
Lambert out, Tviendale In
Grimes out, Kellaway In.

I think we need to pick players who can send the ball i50m to a forward's advantage.

Our forward 50 always seems to be congested though when we kick it in there , hence why Lynch & Jack always seem to be 2 or 3 deep. It's like the Swans game last year. I think teams have worked out how to stop what once was our strength our smalls either pouncing on loose balls or being able to keep it inside 50 with our pressure. Now they are getting us on rebound from our forward 50.

when the midget piñata pops, we're too tall,

when it stays intact, we're too short.

if Lynch and Jack are getting double teamed,

George should be kicking 5

I think the problem is the contents of the piñata.

I think we need some dazzle in there. a bag of whizz fizz to go with 2 cobbers.

I don't need to spell out who the whizz fizz is.

and if the whizz fizz hasn't learnt the running patterns yet, then how will the back pocket know where the hell to go?

I think our forward line is too vanilla.

Riewoldt and Castagna aside.

I've frequently seen our forward line start centre bounces with four mids/flankers/runners lined up along the fifty (Graham/Lambert/Aarts with Pickett or Kmac starting there to move onto the wing) and its all a bit meh. Shortish, slowish, solid.

All are capable of kicking a goal, and any one of them would be great there, but when the ball come in high, or more worryingly, when it comes in low and dirty, we don't have the fast twitch opportunism to snag goals or athleticism to compete for marks.

I like Bolton forward. He's an aerial threat, and a big defender's nightmare. If he had kicked a little better at the end of last week we might have given ourselves a sniff. Most will say the game was done, but I could see us elevating. Through him.

To me MRJ is a must. And changes the dynamic of that forward line entirely. Speed. Pressure. Opportunism. Skill.

I'd also have CCJ in there. Brings the high ball back into the equation. He has dangerous leading patterns and his opponent will need to be accountable.

We should have buried Melbourne in quarter 1 on Saturday. The opportunity was there. Our forward line couldn't capitalise. Some will say our midfield should have hit up better targets, lowered the eyes, and avoided May and Lever. Steven May took one look at Aarts and giggled. He wouldn't have with CCJ at his side, and junior at his feet. If the forward line structure isn't there, then the entries will be awful.

Our forward 50 always seems to be congested though when we kick it in there , hence why Lynch & Jack always seem to be 2 or 3 deep. It's like the Swans game last year. I think teams have worked out how to stop what once was our strength our smalls either pouncing on loose balls or being able to keep it inside 50 with our pressure. Now they are getting us on rebound from our forward 50.

its no coincidence we were 'worked out' in the first 8 rounds last year too.

we had 16 points after round 8, and yes we looked horrendous against swans in round 5.

Sides have worked out how to counter or April/May game (June/July in 2020).

but they are completely bamboozled by us from August onwards.

I havnt seen anything to suggest 2021 will be any different.

• Love
To me MRJ is a must. And changes the dynamic of that forward line entirely. Speed. Pressure. Opportunism. Skill.

We should have buried Melbourne in quarter 1 on Saturday.

agree 100%. He will change the structure by genetics and his rawness. The MC know this. we can relax.

Yes, we went i50 16 times for 15 points in that early dominance. and we got worse. 60 inside 50's for 48 points is woeful

when we are humming in August, we will turn that early effort into 30 points and a 3 goal lead at 1/4 time,

and hit 100 points for the match and win by 3 goals, all other things being equal.

its no coincidence we were 'worked out' in the first 8 rounds last year too.

we had 16 points after round 8, and yes we looked horrendous against swans in round 5.

Sides have worked out how to counter or April/May game (June/July in 2020).

but they are completely bamboozled by us from August onwards.

I havnt seen anything to suggest 2021 will be any different.
just hope we make 4 and 4

Reactions: 1 user
I think its the only way we can beat the Dogs with our mids out. We need to maximise the return on the ball in our F50 which certainly hasn't been our strength.

They are likely to line up similar to Melbourne. Cordy on Jack, Keath on Lynch and Wood playing the same role as Lever. We need to ensure that Wood is tied up with someone, preferably taller whether that is Chol or CCJ. We have an opportunity through the ruck too, as I think Nank should beat Martin and run him off his legs around the ground, but if we bomb into a 2 on 2 with Jack and Lynch close to each other and allow Wood to go 3rd man up then we are in for a long night on Friday.
Spot on.

OK will have a go .. yeah need a 2nd ruck .. was surprised we didn't pick one last week ..

Outs: Martin, Lambert .. yeah Aarts
Ins: CCJ/ChoI ,RCD, Naish (Picket to the midfield )

BTW ..Think its nearly time for a new role for Cotch in the forward line ( maybe not this week but soon )..think he will be great in this role . Hoping either RCD or Dow etc can take over his midfield role .

Last edited:
OK will have a go .. yeah need a 2nd ruck .. was surprised we didn't pick one last week ..

Outs: Martin, Lambert .. yeah Aarts
Ins: CCJ/ChoI ,RCD, Naish (Picket to the midfield )

BTW ..Think its nearly time for a new role for Cotch in the forward line ( maybe not this week but soon )..think we will be great in this role . Hoping either RCD or Dow etc can take over his midfield role .
Cotch is the worst set shot in the side and has never been dangerous when resting forward, and he has been tried there even if only briefly.

Reactions: 7 users