Changes for Qualifying Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Qualifying Final

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
if Chol plays the MC know more and have much more faith than me.
he will either completely star or completely melt in a finals atmosphere. he's a risk.
do they take the risk?
My biggest concern with him artball.
This is for a PF berth.

Concern with people wanting Astbury forward & ruck ( which I was for at the start ) and keep Balta back.
We are settled back. I know it is a small sample size but astbury & Balta will help.
My concern with Astbury rucking is his issue with his knee. Hate for him to ruck and injure his knee at a ruck clash.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Mabiors last 3 games have been poor.

His last, very poor.

But his 5 before that were servicable through to very good.

Against brisbane he was very good.

I think people are overreacting to 3 bad games. It happens alot, especially to young talls.

Im backing Mabior in. I reckon he'll lift
its the nature and timing of the past 3 games that's concerning Ezy.
you want players firing coming into these games
agree he's been incredible at times, the game against Brisbane in front of his family was good.
maybe some inspiration there ?

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
My biggest concern with him artball.
This is for a PF berth.

Concern with people wanting Astbury forward & ruck ( which I was for at the start ) and keep Balta back.
We are settled back. I know it is a small sample size but astbury & Balta will help.
My concern with Astbury rucking is his issue with his knee. Hate for him to ruck and injure his knee at a ruck clash.
the Astbury theories seems to come from Balta being so good down back and then looking a bit lost when Dave returned.
Me? i have no answer, but I don't think they'll ruck Astbury.
Caddy could be a wildcard ruck, I mean they used Grigg!

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
The back 7 is very settled. We've got the best defence.

The mids will be bolstered by Prestia & Bolton. We're looking good there (there will be a couple of disappointed lads)

The forwards are the concern. I so want to see Chol tear a game apart but he hasn't. His form is poor and the team should be picked on form.
If Mabs goes out then who backs up Nank? Does Caddy do a Grigg? Will that work through 3 finals? I doubt it.
Even when Lynch returns we still have the 2nd ruck concern.

I'm stuffed if I can see an obvious solution. Mabs needs to compete, hard.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
the Astbury theories seems to come from Balta being so good down back and then looking a bit lost when Dave returned.
Me? i have no answer, but I don't think they'll ruck Astbury.
Caddy could be a wildcard ruck, I mean they used Grigg!

A lot have posted our wishes, scenarios, strategies but once they run out on Friday night in their positions will we have some idea.
Even the selected team may change to the one that lines up even though Dimma doesn’t play funny buggers.

We have our concerns about Chol and there are few bullish on him & keeping the faith.

It may come down to - no other option.
And keep that structure down back.
Hope that Nank can do it for 4 quarters.

I don’t want us being too cute, too smart or over confident so it’s no from me for Cadds to do a Grigg. 2017 it ain’t and we got away with it then.

This will be one hell of a game.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We need a second ruck which puts Chol in for mine.

One thing I have noticed when he is not playing well is that his timing goes. He doesn't leap for the ball in the ruck or marking because he is in the wrong position or has mis-timed it. They need to be doing a lot of work on that.

DS

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
We need a second ruck which puts Chol in for mine.

One thing I have noticed when he is not playing well is that his timing goes. He doesn't leap for the ball in the ruck or marking because he is in the wrong position or has mis-timed it. They need to be doing a lot of work on that.

DS
Also working on his ‘headspace’ if Dimma goes with him.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
if Chol plays the MC know more and have much more faith than me.
he will either completely star or completely melt in a finals atmosphere. he's a risk.
do they take the risk?
He has never 'compete starred'. The chances of that happening this week are pet slim i would think. And i doubt he will completely melt. A poor game will just be another poor game.
Best we can hope for is for him to compete, both forward and in the ruck, engage this defender and maybe kick a goal or 2.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Well, I both watch footy and also remotely think. In fact most of us are thinking remotely at the moment.

I'm not sure whether or not those changes are a 0.1% chance of happening, but it seems an oddly specific threshold you've chosen.

As always, I think we can all agree that this thread is not about predicting changes, rather suggesting what we would do.

Think about it this way, Bolton is an upgrade on Castagna. Prestia is an upgrade on Lambert (right now). So, at worst, we are a better side than last week.

Or you can think about it another way. The two most commonly suggested outs are Aarts and Ross. I think it's a reasonable suggestion that Aarts is playing better footy than George.

As much as we've all accepted that George is untouchable, as a pressure forward, Aarts has averaged more goals, more tackles, and goes at 75% vs 62% disposal efficiency.

The eye test also says not only has he had a better year, but Aarts is currently in better form. I don't see why it's such an out there suggestion.

Similarly, Ross is in better form than Lambert.

We'll most likely make our selections based on reputation, and going into a finals series, that makes sense.

But I won't ever forget that in last year's grand final, we selected M. Pickett because he was the player in the best form, most deserving of a spot.
It was a while ago, but against the Suns Aarts' opponent was close to the Suns best player, taking maybe 7 intercept marks. Hardwick would have hated that, and i reckon it is not the only game he has been out marked a few times.
That is the main reason i reckon he gets dropped.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Training Report from Gold Coast
Training consisted of match simulation and set plays focussed on transition
Lynch trained ✅
Prestia trained and was permanent onball during match simulation
Chol will play ( yellow jumpers) and played as forward
Nank rucked the entire much simulation
Ben Miller rucked for the red team
Interesting that with match simulation. The red team deliberately played slow transition as Brisbane will try and do thus controlling ball .
Shai looked in fine touch
Broad ,Markov on red team
Cheers

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 29 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Lynch trained ✅
Interesting that with match simulation. The red team deliberately played slow transition as Brisbane will try and do thus controlling ball .
Cheers
Thanks heaps Stig. This type of report is greatly appreciated as we count down to Friday night. Good signs that Lynchy trained, suggests he will be fine for our next match (hopefully the Prelim). I think Mabs has to play as a second foward and chop out ruck, he just needs to play his role. Looking forward to seeing our full midfield up and going, exciting times.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Lynch trained ✅
Cheers
Thanks Stig.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
It was a while ago, but against the Suns Aarts' opponent was close to the Suns best player, taking maybe 7 intercept marks. Hardwick would have hated that, and i reckon it is not the only game he has been out marked a few times.
That is the main reason i reckon he gets dropped.
That’s the only thing.
Everything else Aarts has shown to be capable & has improved.
We can’t allow Harris & co a game like that. Plus our ball movement that game was kaka this Aarts was finding himself out of position with a miss match ( for us ).

His time will come but it’s finals & and a passage to a PF.

Load up on the midfield and have Edwards , Shai & Dusty sharing mins forward. Dusty More so than the others.

I’ve been on the ‘load up all week’.

Just my 2 Bob way.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Lynch trained ✅
Cheers
Great to get this report, Stig, thanks. But can I ask how Mabs actually went? I really hope he looked hungry and aggressively attacked the footy - which he did in that Cats scratch match, but not in the actual Crows game he got following it.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
The loser will not only have to win a semi to make the GF but they will likely have to face the Power in Adelaide in the prelim. Much harder route to a '20 premiership.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Lynch trained ✅
Cheers
Where was Ross & Caddy?

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Great to get this report, Stig, thanks. But can I ask how Mabs actually went? I really hope he looked hungry and aggressively attacked the footy - which he did in that Cats scratch match, but not in the actual Crows game he got following it.
Mabs didn’t do any ruck work
Nank was against Ben Miller the entire session

• Wow